X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
    Apparently similar cladding is used on around 600 high-rises in the UK (or possibly just England?).
    Government have now withdrawn this figure, this is a shambles but with people's lives at stake you'd think they'd get it right.

Leave a comment:

• Crusoe
    replied
    Apparently similar cladding is used on around 600 high-rises in the UK (or possibly just England?).

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    Council chief executive has resigned. Possibly booted out by Sajid Javid.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    [applause]

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    So the question of what might be the best way of building an open, more tolerant society ultimately comes down to 'how do you solve a problem like Maria?'

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Well since evil evil Nicholas Ridley abolished the minimum space requirements for private housing that still apply for social, these luxury flats are usually built to a lower standard and with less space than the old concrete schemes they despise. Fuckin rabbit warrens with no soundproofing, but gated away from the plebs. It's the segregation and security, no excruciating Mark Corrigan vs the feral kids moments occurring, that's what poorly rendered and finished Luxury signifies.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-06-2017, 00:13.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    I wish Maria many Bad Days. And bankruptcy, homelessness, destitution, serious illness and an early pauper's grave.
    What about an entirely preventable fire that kills scores of your neighbours and leaves you homeless with only the clothes you stand in. Get some fucking perspective Maria.

When I heard this being reported I was shocked by the use of the word luxury in all that I heard.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Fuck off, Maria.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    I wish Maria many Bad Days. And bankruptcy, homelessness, destitution, serious illness and an early pauper's grave.

Leave a comment:

• SouthdownRebel
    replied
    Among those exercising dogs and small children, the views were more mixed. “It’s so unfair,” said Maria, who was reading the news in the Evening Standard with two neighbours.

She bought her flat two years ago for a sum she was unwilling to disclose. “We paid a lot of money to live here, and we worked hard for it. Now these people are going to come along, and they won’t even be paying the service charge.
    Yes, because this is the thing that is unfair about the whole situation.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Edmond the parquet expert speaks for me. Those selfish horrible bastards will stop this from ever happening. Are "Maria" and her mates so tight that three of them crowd around the one Evening Standard? Bastardos.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Never mind losing your home, will somebody think of the property values?

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/...mixed-response

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Grenfell Tower renovation works were inspected 16 times by Kensington and Chelsea council, but these checks failed to prevent the use of the flammable cladding being blamed for spreading the fire
    This from the Guardian. Why am I not surprised?

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    On the Labour housing improvements that the Tories blocked. Looks complicated, but to say the least, not very good.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...-complicated?8

Interesting coincidence that Karen Buck put forward the first lot. She was the MP for the area with Grenfell till boundary changes in 2010. She's now Westminster North. And sitting on a much improved majority as of the election.
    Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 20-06-2017, 17:32.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    On the BBC website there's a video clip of when a team of firefighters first see the fire. It's only 45 seconds long, but a couple of the comments are very revealing:

How is that possible?

How the "Bleep" is that possible?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...-saw-the-blaze

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    FFS.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    Unfortunately, the bloke who's got the slap was a 56 year old volunteer at Grenfell. Some fuckhead put his picture up on the internet saying he was a councillor.
    Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 19-06-2017, 18:11.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Pardon my French, but Jesus H tittyfucking Christ these people want a slap.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    Medialens retweeted this very obvious recycled 9/11 crap. Do they actually want riots, and more buildings set alight with people in them?

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    You know who was really responsible for Grenfell? It was the Jews. So spoke some sage on Al Quds day yesterday, to no obvious booing.

Can't somebody stop this shit?

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    Yeah, Delicatemoth.

Property development has become a nice earner for London councils, partly because it fills in a gap from grant cuts, no doubt, partly for bad reasons. Some schemes have been much better than others. You know where my flat is, and that was done fairly well. Our biggest complaint was that it took too long. There were extra social flats, and it's nicer. There's got to be some legislation to protect existing residents though.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Tragically the death toll has now risen to 79, surely it's time for some serious answers to be given by May and her cronies. There's nothing technical about this detail Phil.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    No worries, Tubby. Yeah, Nearly Legal is good. And my understanding is that it's not simply 'pre-existing' homeless being shunted out of London, but people who've been forced out of the estates they lived in to make way for regeneration.

I'd kind of like Labour to be addressing their own councils' role in this to be frank - Southwark, Lambeth and Newham to name but three have some shameful form here. It sounds like people in blocks all over London - and presumably elsewhere in the country - are now scared about the fire risk in their own buildings too; I saw a picture of a sign in the lift of one of the Swiss Cottage blocks saying they have the same cladding.

Dawn Foster has been doing fantastic work, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• Tubby Isaacs
    replied
    It looks like this has been made up entirely ad hoc. Somebody ought to at least have had a template ready to form something like this straightaway. It's taken too long.

A barrister on Twitter (Property, though said himself not Housing) reckons central government just has purchase homes as quickly as it can, and forget about requisitioning empty homes, because they'll run up a fortune in legal fees and likely lose.

But I expect other lawyers say different things.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Police now say that they expect the number of dead to be more than the 58 reported missing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X