• Show
Clear All

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    https://twitter.com/ericweiskott/status/900767162658430976

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Sounds as if it's just a game. It is FA sanctioned, which is why Barton couldn't take part (or that was the excuse.)

"QPR’s Loftus Road stadium will play host to a #Game4Grenfell on Saturday 2nd September 2017 (kick-off 3.00pm), as QPR and QPR in the Community Trust – as the most local club in the West London community – come together with Columbia Records and Toast Entertainment Group to show support for the community affected so tragically by the Grenfell Tower fire disaster on June 14th.

The brainchild of QPR Chairman Tony Fernandes, Director of Football Les Ferdinand and Columbia Records' Ferdy Unger-Hamilton, the fixture – which will see two teams consisting of ex-professionals and celebrities, as well as a few special guests, play a 90-minute match in W12, just one mile away from the North Kensington tower-block – will act as a community event to give something back to those affected by the fire last month, using football as the most powerful of tools to unite the people of West London.

Indeed, the power of football will ensure the legacy extends well beyond the game itself, thanks primarily to the involvement of Marcus Mumford, lead singer of Mumford & Sons, who is the driving-force of a newly-launched free summer football programme for the young children of Grenfell.

Mumford has spent the last few weeks with survivors and their families and thanks to his efforts and the involvement of a number of local charities and organisations, of which QPR in the Community Trust has been at the forefront, a free summer football programme for young children was set up, which is now thriving at the Westway Sports Centre.

A number of famous ex-pros, including Les Ferdinand, David Seaman, Trevor Sinclair, Alan Shearer, Andy Sinton, Jody Morris, Ally McCoist and Paul Merson, are amongst those already signed up to play their part in W12.

Peter Crouch will also feature, alongside his firefighter friend Gregg Jules, who was directly involved in the relief effort.

In addition, Mumford, Olly Murs, Wretch 32, Ben Shephard, Damian Lewis, DJ Spoony, Tinie Tempah, Jarvis Cocker, Darren Campbell, Jamie Dornan, Richard Ashcroft, Serge Pizzorno, Tamer Hassan, Ben Cohen and James Bay are amongst those set to feature too, in what promises to be a day to remember for the West London community.

Mumford said: “I'm very excited to be part of the summer's worth of football for kids affected by Grenfell and in the wider North Kensington community.

“I'm also really looking forward to dusting off my boots, nutmegging Ferdinand and smashing some goals past Seaman on September 2nd.”
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 20-08-2017, 16:41.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Are they all, going to be playing football or doing other activities? I'm struggling to imagine Jarvis Cocker steaming down the wing; more likely to be having a 'gasper' by the corner flag.

I thought Damian Lewis was working more or less permanently in the US.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Sorry, yes, being a bit sensitive.

Thanks for the legwear tip.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Oh I know, I didn't mean "you" personally. Anyway glad you're going. Make sure you're not wearing leg-ware you care about. The seating at Loftus Road is based on spectators being four feet tall, scraped shins for all others are de rigueur.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I've bought a couple of tickets, thanks for the heads-up.

A friend of mine is kind of involved with the aftermath of the fire, so I'm not going to lose sight of what it's about even if it hadn't affected me.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    You should go if you can. It is a bizarre mix of "players," but the cause is righteous. You can see the ruins of the tower from the upper deck of the School End stand too, which should serve as a reminder of what it's all for if thinks get too silly.
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 19-08-2017, 13:56.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    My friend wants us to go to that footie match, and it does look a bit surreal.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Is this the game Joey Barton is banned from?

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Ha! Yes indeed. Though, fair do's, he and Les Ferdinand have been the game's principal organisers

Leave a comment:

• Gerontophile
    replied
    Oooo with the added attraction of possibly seeing Marcus Mumford get twatted by someone.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Just a heads up, this charity event at Loftus Road is up-coming in a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Inquiry to include RBKC's actions.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Grenfell fire inquiry may have to suspend work if CPS brings charges

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard

FFS. This is going to go down well.

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    I would say so.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Met says Grenfell Tower council 'may have committed corporate manslaughter'

Is this as important as it sounds?

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    David Lammy urges Grenfell inquiry chair to 'uncover the truth'

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Edit. Double post

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Grenfell fire: deputy council leader says he was unaware of residents' concerns

I saw him on TV this morning and he appeared to be completely out of touch and responded in cliches.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40632705

Dozens of cases of electrical surges reported before the fatal fire

Leave a comment:

• MsD
    replied
    Originally posted by Levin View Post
    Christ. Just the thought of 999 calls from trapped residents is chilling. How could you cope if you were on the other end?
    Police are quoted as saying how traumatising the calls are, and how they are all fired up to seek justice etc.

Sorry, I'm not going to hunt out articles just now, but I got angry on FB last night at so many bar-stool pathologists who "can easily tell" that there were hundreds of people in there, but "they" are covering it up and not telling us the "body count".

Now, people mistrust the police, whereas in the 80s (when there were so many miscarriages of justice) and even after Hillsborough, they were widely believed. Maybe people are jumping on this bandwagon as they were caught on the wrong side of history before.

It reminds me of something AJP Taylor wrote, how in WWI there were stories of German atrocities that were entirely fictional; but during WWII rumours of death camps were dismissed as fanciful.

Firefighters managed to get dozens if not hundreds of people to safety, it's what they do. They will be forever haunted by those they couldn't save.

People boorishly exclaiming "only 89 dead?? It was easily in the hundreds! Tell us the truth!" are really not helping anyone, nor showing respect to victims, relatives and those working on that terrible front line.
    Last edited by MsD; 12-07-2017, 11:14.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    MPs will debate the Grenfell Tower disaster today four weeks after the tragedy. With parliamentary immunity could this be a chance for something important to come out?

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Christ. Just the thought of 999 calls from trapped residents is chilling. How could you cope if you were on the other end?

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Grenfell Tower investigation starting point is 80 deaths by manslaughter, police say

Some of the details in here are horrific.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X