• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wandered lonely as a cloud ...

that floats on high o'er vales and hills
    When all at once I saw a crowd
    A host of sodding great windmills

Wordsworth's rapture with the beauty of the lake district would, I'm sure, have been surpassed by his wonder at the marvels of industry.

Two things strike me about this development.

1. Why 139 turbines? Why not 150, or at least a round 140? They tend to "plant" them in straight rows, in a grid pattern, so 139 seems a funny number.

2. On the basis that this windfarm can provide power for around 372,000 homes, we'd "only" need around 50 of these, around the British coast, to provide electricity for all the 20m or so domestic properties in the UK. That doesn't seem too much of a sacrifice, especially as lots of them could be placed up in the wild islands off Scotland which, let's face it, are pretty desolate places to begin with. However, I'm assuming from the way the statistic has been presented that this only accounts for the expected electricity use of domestic properties, and I don't know what proportion of the UK's total demand for electricity is accounted for by households. I'd imagine it's quite a tiny proportion, compared to factories and offices, isn't it? I'd hate to be the bloke who has to keep putting the 50ps in the 'leccy meter at Terminal 4 at Heathrow, for example.

I wandered lonely as a cloud ...

Put your windmills on your own islands, ya bloody sassenach.

Comment

Working...
    X