How America will vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How America will vote

US electoral rules are often irrational on their face, and in fact are useful illustrations of the myriad ways in which those in power have sought to perpetuate same while still paying lip service to the country's "democratic ideals".
    I don't know about irrational. In many cases, they are a very rational way for certain people to keep other certain people from voting.

Also, not all of the original framers of the constitution were too keen on letting every Tom, Dick and Harry vote. Alexander Hamilton, for one, feared direct democracy or universal suffrage (why is it called suffrage) would just be "mob rule" (although I'm not sure that's how he described it).

While I think that in the final analysis, the argument for universal suffrage is persuasive, the recent trends of elections in this country suggest that he did have a point.

Comment

How America will vote

Ball Comrade wrote:
      NHH wrote:
      I recall reading lots of stories about impending rigging by the Republikaners (mainly Diebold machine fraud and voter culls) ahead of 2004, but not read much yet; is that because it's not as big an issue this time, or has the media been looking elsewhere?
      Greg palast is bagning on about it, and has made a documentary that will be on the BBC and NBC in October.
      I take it this is not NBC as in the NBC we have in the US.

Comment

Working...
      X