The Cape Wrath Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cape Wrath Trail

Well done Paul and glad you're in one piece. At least you won't have to do that forest and the boggy bit again next time.

Comment

The Cape Wrath Trail

No relation to Cape Fear?

Comment

I restarted the Cape Wrath Trail on Saturday at Dornie and I am now at Kinlochewe. I'm feeling a lot stronger and fitter than I did back in May and my Knees are in great condition. Tomorrow will be in a bothy followed by a night at the campsite on the banks of Loch Broom in Ullapool.

The sleeper train up Friday night arrived 1130 missing my 1056 train to the Kyle of Lochalsh. The sleeper train staff arranged for myself and 5 others to go there in a taxi. Despite departing 45 minutes after the train we arrived ten minutes before it did in Kyle.

Loads of rain yesterday but lovely weather walking down the Coulin Pass today. I hope this weather continues!

Comment

Good to see you back on track Paul. Happy hiking.

Comment

I spent last night at the fabulous Shenavall Bothy which I had to myself. An 18 mile walk including 8 miles along the banks of Loch Broom has seen me get to Ullapool. Big day tomorrow with 19 miles to Oykel Bridge. Hoping the good weather continues.

Comment

I'm at Oykel Bridge Hotel. A room here costs £130 a night or just £37 if you have a bothy room with no en-suite. A long day from Ullapool today past two bothies and then down through the salmon rivers. I'm beginning to feel tired now and the terrain is rough and difficult going. Only four days left to walk.

Comment

Last night I did 25 miles to Glencoul Bothy to put myself a day ahead of schedule. Had to cut today short due to strong winds and heavy heavy rain and hitched a lift to the nearest hotel in Rhiconich which is full. Now camping 50 yards away behind a public bog & trying to warm up in the hotel bar. Oh and it's still raining.

Comment

Bloody hell Paul, don't forget it's meant to be fun! Is walking at night a good idea? I just looked at Ullapool to Cape Wrath on the map, and I take my hat off to you. Keep it up but don't overstretch yourself.

Edit: Just looked up where you are now - you'll definitely do this.

Comment

Best of continuing luck to you Paul, we're willing you on. Thanks for the updates, it's great to read how you're going and try to imagine it. Hope it's relative smooth progress in the coming days.

Comment

I'm having a bit of a rest day today and making full use of the toilets, showers, washing machine and dryers at Kinlochbervie harbour. I've done four miles today and have another ten to Sthrathchalliach bothy which is in turn just 8 miles from Cape Wrath. I'm tired now & looking forward to the end which will be tomorrow. Then I have to get out which may be easier said than done!

Comment

Are you walking back again after making it to Cape Wrath, or do you have an alternative exit strategy planned?

Comment

I love that part of the world. Not been on Cape Wrath itself but driven to the beach next to the nuclear power station that's right next to it. Been to Thurso and Wick on the other side of the top bit of Scotland. Not sure if they count as Highlands, they seem to be beyond the Highlands.

Comment

I've made it to Cape Wrath!!

I arrived at 10.30am this morning and managed to get a place on a visitor bus out. Last night at Straithcheallach bothy was a strange experience. Cape Wrath is quite a place and very big and wide open with glorious views from Lewis to the Orkney's. I wouldn't like to be there in a storm though.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Not sure if they count as Highlands, they seem to be beyond the Highlands.
                              Heh, yes I always wonder on that point too. They're essentially over-the-top-and-down-the-other-side-of-the-Highlands, aren't they, ergo Lowlands again by definition if not in common parlance. Sealevellands, perhaps.

Edit: Sorry, crossed posts with your triumphant arrival Paul! Very well done, enjoy the achievement.

Comment

Great effort Paul! Enjoy your first bath.

Comment

Well done, sir.

Comment

I'm basking in the sun at Durness revelling in my achievement. I'm seriously knackered right now but the open sky and sun of Caithness is having something of a cooling effect on me. Visit Cape Wrath lighthouse if you can, if only to say you've been there.

Comment

Well done Paul.

Comment

I caught the 805 Durness to Lairg bus today. Actually to call it a bus would be a misnomer as it was a minibus albeit not a very big one. It forms the only bus a day from this remote corner of NW Scotland to anywhere and for 2 hours and 25 minutes I was it's only passenger. I'm now in Dingwall wondering what to do next.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                          I'm now in Dingwall wondering what to do next.
                                          If you're still there on Saturday, Ross County are playing Alloa in the Group stage of the Betfred cup.

Comment

Alloa bastards put Raith down. Cheer with all your might for the mighty Ross County, Paul!

And Alloa just had Scotland's biggest Orange walk of the year, the glakit fannies.

Comment

Many congrats Paul S - delighted for you. (Sorry I'm a bit late but I've been away on holiday!) I'm hoping to do either the Great Glen or the East Highland Way in the next few months. Might have to scale it down* to the John Muir Way - I'm definitely too old to do Cape Wrath now.....

*In terms of difficulty not length
                                              Last edited by jdsx; 12-07-2017, 22:37.

Comment

Working...
                                              X