Greek Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Theatre

Multiple reports of an all hands, "emergency" meeting at Buckingham Palace, with increasing speculation that Prince Philip is no longer with us.

Greek Theatre

Insert joke here about how the British media is about to plunge into a period of sycophantically celebrating a massive racist.

Comment

Greek Theatre

What will this mean for the election? A pause in campaigning? For how long?

Comment

Greek Theatre

Probably a good reason to do away with elections altogether.

Comment

Greek Theatre

Today is polling day in local elections, including a couple of urban mayoral races. Any big news will probably drive low turn outs even further down, if nothing else.

Comment

Greek Theatre

The Sun have already posted the news online somewhere.

Comment

Greek Theatre

The Guardian (international) is studiously avoiding the story. My other source of news is NZ telly, and both main channels had a live cross to the Buck House pavement, top of the bulletin, where a reporter got paid for telling us that nobody knew anything, although the total absence of information was unconfirmed at this stage.

Comment

Greek Theatre

Prince Philip will step down from public life and will not do any more engagements after the end of August

Well he his 96!

Comment

Greek Theatre

I wonder has prince phillip cheated more often on the monarch than all of the other consorts in British history put together?

Comment

Greek Theatre

Presumably turns on whether you consider Elizabeth I to have had any consorts.

Comment

Greek Theatre

Elizabeth I is not British history.

Comment

Greek Theatre

Good point

So yeah then. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that Phil has been dirtier than Bertie

Comment

Greek Theatre

I get the feeling that those without the UK know a damn sight more about Philip Mountbatten than those of us within the UK...

Comment

Greek Theatre

Very true. It's not like I follow the royal - celeb gossip but I can't help notice it from time to time. But Phil's philandering had passed me by

Comment

Greek Theatre

Are you aware of the Cargo Cult?

Comment

Greek Theatre

erm, Phillip spent much of the first decade of his marriage in gentlemen's clubs, and things were going so well in the royal marriage that three years into her reign, he went on a solo round the world tour on Britannia, that had to be cancelled after four months, because the scandal was becoming too difficult to ignore.

Comment

Greek Theatre

What I don't understand is why the royal household contrived to create a fog of mystery and concern (not my concern, but you know) around what must have been a planned and, given his age, not entirely unexpected decision. The way that they have gone about it is almost as if he accidentally burned down the stand he opened at Lord's yesterday and then killed a few bystanders when fleeing in his carriage, before being dragged down to the precinct to hand over his badge and gun.

Comment

Greek Theatre

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: erm, Phillip spent much of the first decade of his marriage in gentlemen's clubs, and things were going so well in the royal marriage that three years into her reign, he went on a solo round the world tour on Britannia, that had to be cancelled after four months, because the scandal was becoming too difficult to ignore.
                                    It's one of those situations where yer betters close ranks and keep schtum, kinda like Lord Lucan's disappearance. Once in awhile someone would be rumoured to have been one of his favourite "companions" and required to deny it — Katie Boyle springs to mind — but it's remarkable how effectively this type of cover-up still works in the UK. Particularly given the prevalence of trash journalism.

Comment

Greek Theatre

Benjm wrote: What I don't understand is why the royal household contrived to create a fog of mystery and concern (not my concern, but you know) around what must have been a planned and, given his age, not entirely unexpected decision. The way that they have gone about it is almost as if he accidentally burned down the stand he opened at Lord's yesterday and then killed a few bystanders when fleeing in his carriage, before being dragged down to the precinct to hand over his badge and gun.
                                      They control the media, you know, so it's possible that that's exactly what happened. Unless anyone on OTF was there and can tell us otherwise, that's what I'm choosing to believe.

Comment

Greek Theatre

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                        Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                        erm, Phillip spent much of the first decade of his marriage in gentlemen's clubs, and things were going so well in the royal marriage that three years into her reign, he went on a solo round the world tour on Britannia, that had to be cancelled after four months, because the scandal was becoming too difficult to ignore.
                                        It's one of those situations where yer betters close ranks and keep schtum, kinda like Lord Lucan's disappearance. Once in awhile someone would be rumoured to have been one of his favourite "companions" and required to deny it — Katie Boyle springs to mind — but it's remarkable how effectively this type of cover-up still works in the UK. Particularly given the prevalence of trash journalism.
                                        One of those troll tv outfits for dodgy countries (RT, press tv) should get Kitty Kelley on for an hour when he finally snuffs it. Or channel 4 news if John Snow feels like retiring.

Comment

Greek Theatre

You need to reform your libel laws before that can happen

Comment

Greek Theatre

Ah yes, UK and Ireland, the fucking Reynolds Case, best places in the world to be up to no good if you're lawyered up. We need US libel laws now.

Comment

Greek Theatre

Comment

Greek Theatre

Do we get a day off work when he pegs it?

Comment

Greek Theatre

This thread moved me to check out Queen Anne — the English female monarch I know least about. Fuck me, she had seventeen pregnancies and only child survived infancy. Most led to miscarriages or still births. I can't imagine what that must have been like physically or emotionally.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X