Papish News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papish News

Did the Stations, ate cheese sandwiches and hot cross buns, watched guys in the Philippines nail themselves to crosses on Euronews - all go on a Catholic Good Friday!

Papish News

Did the Stations
    You were playing Monopoly?

Comment

Papish News

Were the sandwiches made from someone else's cheeses or your own, personal, cheeses?

Comment

Papish News

I heartily approve of this companion thread from our left-footed brethren.

As an ecumenical matter, I will mention that a friend had cheese on hot cross bun the other day which, while being heresy, sounds quite nice. Neither toasted. That would be Satan's work.

Comment

Papish News

A mate of mine did crumpets with marmite, and a cross of cheddar.

Then again, he plays rugby, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised at the things he thinks acceptable.

Comment

Papish News

I don't know if it's the Papist influence in New Zealand, as opposed to any of the spin-off sects, but Easter is still holding out against the heathens here. By law, there are no commercials permitted on TV or radio, either on Good Friday or Easter Sunday. Years of conditioning to ad breaks (no BBC equivalent here, alas) makes you twitchy and confused on these holy days. "Mummy, why won't Jesus let me pee?".

Comment

Papish News

Having been subjected to a catholic education due to the fact that the school was closer to the house than the proddy one, stations of the cross was an annual purgatory. The amount of effort it took not to laugh in the repressive atmosphere of a religious gathering in the school hall was almost overwhelming.

I managed to hold it together except for the one year when my classmate whispered in my ear "what did Jesus say to Mary on the cross?"

" don't know"

"Keep my Easter egg, I'll be back on Monday"

For a 9 year old, this was Bill Hicks stuff and I shared it with the lad next to me and it went along until our entire class was shaking and bobbing with silent laughter. Fuuuck, were we in trouble after. Sent home, parents in, an hour lecture from the priest and then some other high heid yin (don't think he was a bishop but higher than a priest) threatening excommunication. My dad did think it was a cracking joke though.

Comment

Papish News

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: The amount of effort it took not to laugh in the repressive atmosphere of a religious gathering in the school hall was almost overwhelming.
                Absolutely this. I prefer not to set in foot in one these days unless it's for someone else's wedding or funeral when refusing to go is a bit look-at-me, but even now it's a tall order to get through a service without succumbing to a hysterical giggling fit.

As a former altar server, Easter was a right shag, with services every day from Thursday - Sunday.

Comment

Papish News

As a former altar server, Easter was a right shag, with services every day from Thursday - Sunday.

You should pause and consider just how unfortunate the wording of the sentence is....

Comment

Papish News

Ha!

Comment

Papish News

tee rex wrote: I don't know if it's the Papist influence in New Zealand, as opposed to any of the spin-off sects, but Easter is still holding out against the heathens here. By law, there are no commercials permitted on TV or radio, either on Good Friday or Easter Sunday. Years of conditioning to ad breaks (no BBC equivalent here, alas) makes you twitchy and confused on these holy days. "Mummy, why won't Jesus let me pee?".
                      Strangely, RTE do the same on Christmas Day, but confine themselves to an Easter Vigil Mass on the Saturday, along with Urbi et Orbi on the day itself.

Comment

Papish News

It's looking like the good Friday alcohol sales ban in Ireland could be gone by next year, it's not something that bothers me tbh but seeing all the bored tourists wandering around dublin it's probably about time, that being said, the group of Dutch football fans I saw at the bohs v cork game last night got plenty of booze from somewhere!

Comment

Papish News

I wonder how many bemused tourists book an Easter break to Dublin without realizing that just about everywhere is closed Good Friday. Unless you fancy a McDonalds you can't even get a meal (can't imagine there's any point in opening a restaurant on a dry day, all the money they take in must come from drink). I don't mind the Christmas Day banning order, I had Christmas dinner once in a local Fawltyesque Fife hotel as a kid and it was fucking horrific (as you'd expect from making bar/hotel staff work Christmas Day). But the Good Friday thing is a bit of a joke, everyone just consumes twice as much at house parties. And there always seems to be dodgy locals skirting the law and hosting 'private functions'.

It does make you realize that there is very little in this town that doesn't revolve around alcohol.

Comment

Papish News

It is odd that, over here, every thing (apart from pubs, thankfully) is shut on Christmas Day but not Easter (aside from the garden centre that my wife works at as the boss is Christian). I appreciate that it has little to do with religion and all to do with commerce but, if you are going to hang a religious excuse on it, Easter and Good Friday are, at least, as important if not moreso. Either close on all of the three days or none.

I was always impressed by the Arabic Muslim lads who opened up a convenience shop near is as kids that was open on Christmas Day and did a great trade. However, there is a difference between that and forcing everyone to work in shops on holidays as it is now.

Comment

Working...
                            X