Outrageous assertions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outrageous assertions

True, although, you know, what has it done for us lately? Musically? A certain amount, obviously--The Man Comes Around being a case in point--but set that against happy-clappy hymns, Christian Rock and Cliff Richard. The balance sheet's not looking healthy these days.

Comment

Outrageous assertions

Are you not ignoring a load of soul and gospel music there Wyatt?

Comment

Outrageous assertions

No, I'm balancing it against all the shite. The fact that, for example, every single Catholic hymn seems to be rubbish.

Comment

Outrageous assertions

Revelation 6:8 - "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

That just cannot be topped for overall awesome badassery.

Comment

Outrageous assertions

Tavener! Arvo Pärt! Rutter!

Comment

Outrageous assertions

Well Messiaen only died in 1992. Orchestras and musicians still perform the great works of the western tradition on a regular basis, it would take a lot to make Bach and Beethoven sound stale. Taverner and Part are pretty popular. Not to mention the ongoing non-Western religious musics- Sufi, Islamic, Shankar etc. So there's quite a lot really.

Comment

Outrageous assertions

I'd agree about Catholic hymns being rubbish. It's not the devil who has the best tunes, it's the protestants.

Comment

Outrageous assertions

i'm arguing with two people (british people at that) about ron (fucking) paul in another, somewhat more depressing, corner of the internet.

you'd think some people live on the fucking moon. i've already pointed out how catastrophically wrong-headed the vast majority of his positions are. this was met with the notion that he's a breath of fresh air because he's an independent.

it's like banging my fucking head against the wall. this is a guy who is always banging on about politics at a sub-rage against the machine level. i'm not an expert myself, but still...

Comment

Working...
                  X