The Haters' Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Haters' Thread

With so many people dying and being mourned at the moment, give a thought to those who couldn't bear the recently deceased. Here's your opportunity to get things off your chest without upsetting those still wearing black...

'Allo, 'Allo was fucking awful.

Leonard Cohen's music was fucking awful.

The Haters' Thread

I couldn't tolerate anything Prince did after about 1987.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

World of difference between "couldn't stand" and "thought their work was shit", surely?

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Rest in Power, A.A Gill

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Regarding Prince... Gold wasn't a bad little song.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

This is good. We need a place to vent.

Never could get into Leonard Cohen. He seems like he should be up my street. I like some of his lyrics, but I can't imagine a situation when I'd want to listen to his music for more than a few minutes at a time.

Likewise, the idea of Prince is more appealing to me than the reality. I like some of his early stuff, I suppose and would love to have seen him live, but it's not my thing.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

I'm not a hater, but I only ever really liked covers of Leonard Cohen's songs.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

There are some Leonard Cohen songs which I find hauntingly beautiful but potentially disturbingly melancholy.

In particular "Suzanne" and "Hallelujah". I sort of love them, certainly admire them hugely, but I can't listen to them much, and can't listen to them at all unless I'm in a robust emotional state, or they risk putting me into a fragile state of existential dread about loss, guilt, mortality and all that sort of thing.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Musicology is good. But I like Prince better when he was being James Brown than all the 80s as fuck synthed to bits stuff. But then I prefer early acidy sloppy Funkadelic to their (and Parliament's) synthed out of it slick coked out stuff (that sounds v early Prince to me) in their commercial prime. When Doves Cry is some brilliant bizarre yet commercial song though.

Leonard Cohen's late period concerts and albums sound like his 80s stuff to me (not good and lots of choirs). Like some pleb I like the sepia'd cover 70s Best Of you could always get for about 2.99 when you still had record shops.

Ronnie Corbett. Most Bowie stuff you don't hear on t'radio (assuming you can still hear Queen Bitch on the radio).

Comment

The Haters' Thread

I like a lot of Clash stuff, but they're another band where - for me - the idea and overall vibe is more appealing than the actual music. I have a big poster of the London Calling cover because I just love it as a picture*. As an album it's ok, but not my favorite by any stretch.

Musicology is good. But I like Prince better when he was being James Brown than all the 80s as fuck synthed to bits stuff. But then I prefer early acidy sloppy Funkadelic to their (and Parliament's) synthed out of it slick coked out stuff (that sounds v early Prince to me) in their commercial prime. When Doves Cry is some brilliant bizarre yet commercial song though.
                    I find that my taste is remarkably, pathetically white and I've come to grips with that. It doesn't make me a racist. I prefer the 80s-as-fuck stuff. Likewise, I only like older hip-hop/rap that relied heavily on samples from older rock and pop hits. And my favorite "rappers" are the Beastie Boys.

The current stuff (so and so ft. so and so and so and so) all sounds really tuneless and dull to me. Like the music behind the rapper (do we still call them rappers?) is just an afterthought. What they have to say is more interesting than the way they're saying it, so maybe they should just down spoken-word instead of music.

And I've never seen the appeal of Beyonce's music. Again, I get her as an icon. But musically, I don't get it. Of course, I haven't listened to much of it. I watched a bit of that Lemonade thing and I felt like I was dropping into a long intricate storyline with no context or back-story. Like trying to start watching Game of Thrones in mid season 3.

And grown-ass adults listening to Taylor Swift... C'mon, man.

*Not a particularly original opinion there, I know. It's iconic. I also love the Unknown Pleasures cover. I have obnoxiously standard album cover taste, I suppose.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Hot Pepsi wrote: I like a lot of Clash stuff, but they're another band where - for me - the idea and overall vibe is more appealing than the actual music. I have a big poster of the London Calling cover because I just love it as a picture*. As an album it's ok, but not my favorite by any stretch.

*Not a particularly original opinion there, I know. It's iconic. I also love the Unknown Pleasures cover. I have obnoxiously standard album cover taste, I suppose.
                      I replaced the Clash with midget Embra funnyman Corbett after retreading the OP, seeing as Strummer went yonks ago.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

I really like Strummer. I like his voice and although he's been accused of being middle-class by John Lydon, I think he really cared about people and the stuff he sang about. I like that documentary on him they did a few years ago.

I always liked him in interviews. There's a great one that I can't seem to find again where he's talking about the end of the Clash - apparently in a diner somewhere - and he just kind of trails off and says..."Well, we've all got to have some regrets." I always found that so wise and counter-cultural, really, so it really stuck with me. Not everything that happens happens for a good reason. Some shit just sucks and we have to learn how to carry it.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

I'm not bothered that he was a diplomat's son or whatever (Florian etc in Kraftwerk not being exactly hardy sons of toil in the main won't stop me having Fahn Fahn Fahn). Or that he became a supporter of Thatcher when the last Clash incarnation wiz pootling around (seems a bit egocentric to expect artists you like to stand up to some arbitrary political scale of Righteousness. Why should the Stooges' Funhouse sound less like Musical Fire if aware Iggy is now some Republican Realtor, and poor Ron Asheton had a slightly intense attachment to the Waffen SS memorabilia thing?

It's just Strummers bullhorn voice and not so amazing tunes I don't get. New Rose is amazing. But no one wears Damned t-shirts.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Perhaps if one of The Damned had died young-ish..?

Bowie, Strummer (why he?), Cohen, Prince - they all made shedloads of filler. But who cares when so much of the top-shelf stuff was pure 84-carat? (Especially Bowie.)

'Allo, 'Allo was indeed b*llocks - a series of 'phoned-in route-one jokes set out over the thinnest of premises, from what I recall of it. Hearing intelligent folk lamenting it (as opposed to 'him') makes me question the universe. Nowt wrong with Ronnie Corbett, though - he wasn't his partner, but he had more than sufficient intelligence to do what he did (ie, variety) well.

Odd thread, this.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Or that he became a supporter of Thatcher when the last Clash incarnation wiz pootling around
                              Wait, what? Is this true? That's fucking hilarious

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Of course I can find no trace on the webs. But I'd almost swear that one of those dreary Mojo pieces about a decade back (covering Cut the Crap tour and album) had Strummer at the very least getting exesperated when a US journo assumed he hated Thatcher and was a proper Red. I seem to recall him at the least admiring parts of her personality and leadership style. Why I recall shit like this (could prob give phrases from some of the best MM reviews verbatim) and not the main vital points of the meeting I was at yesterday always gets me.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Woody Allen

I'm of the age when I'm supposed to find everything he did hilariously funny.

I didn't.

And he's a nonce.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

I never liked Mary Tyler Moore.

(Wait for it...)

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Oh yes. Woody Allen. Yes, yes yes. Even ignoring his real life sex-pest weirdness, his films do less than nothing for me. I enjoyed Sleeper and Bananas when I saw them as, I dunno, a 12 year old or something. But everything else of his I've watched since I was a bit more adult has been almost universally unwatchably bad. It's not funny. It's tiresomely self-absorbed. It reflects nothing about anything or anyone who's not a neurotic New Yorker. And, almost inevitably, it has creepy sex stuff in it with an older guy dating a hot young girl. Ugh!

And Allo Allo was terrible. If someone had told the writers after the first three episodes that a catchphrase is not a joke, nor even mildly amusing after the third or fourth time, then they might have made a funny show.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

The Shawshank Redemption is a terrible film.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Oh yeah, that film is terrible on just about every level. Vocalizing such opinions tends to lead to massive social awkwardness. Every but every fucker loves it.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

I don't see the appeal of Woody Allen.
                                            Lena Dunham says Woody Allen is her comedy hero, which may explain why I think she's as funny as a heart attack.

I've still never seen Shawshank Redempton.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Wait, has Woody Allen died? I'm really confused by this thread.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

The more often you see Shawshank, the worse it gets. And I love it.

Comment

The Haters' Thread

Fussbudget wrote: Wait, has Woody Allen died? I'm really confused by this thread.
                                                  My hate transcends life and death.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X