Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris Johnson again

JtS wrote:
    Ok you don't like Boris Johnson. But having a pop at him on his above inflation price rises which are above inflation due to there being a price freeze last year is just pathetic.
    That's about 457th on the list of reasons to have a go at Boris to be fair

Comment

Boris Johnson again

GY I don't follow you. You're saying that it's BJ's fault that inflationary increases from last year that he didn't have the responsibility to cover are now his fault?

Comment

Boris Johnson again

It's his fault that he's even making this an issue when he should be doing something about the system that gives rise to this level of pricing.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

I could, as someone currently unfit to work, push for a Freedom Pass, but I doubt I'd get it and I'd feel a bit queasy about it if I did
          That sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy to me.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

but don't do so enough to make an Oyster or TravelCard economical (or who don't have the funds for the initial "investment").
            The investment is £3 in case you lose the card. That's it. Which you will get back in savings after six bus journeys or about 2 tube journeys.

You can just put a fiver on it as pay as you go money. And you can buy them everywhere. It's really not difficult even if you are in london for a day a year.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

I'm saying that if Boris had been in office when the fares were previously frozen, and then increased them by the same amount now, you could reasonably say he was increasing them below the rate of inflation in the long term. As it is, you can't. He's increasing fares above the rate of inflation rather than using other funds to make up for last year's freeze.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

I see.

Theoretically he could freeze fare for the next 4 years then let Ken deal with it if he got back in.

Is he Mayor of Venezuela yet?

Comment

Boris Johnson again

At first glance this doesn't look as horrible as I'd expect. Fare increases aren't insane. The fares are insane, but they have been for a long time. (And, on the whole, actually work on Ursus' basis of fleecing non-Londoners much more than Londoners, mostly).

What concerns me, as Hobbes points out, is where his cuts will come. There's not been a peep, yet, about all the cycling investment that we had been promised. I wonder if they're trying to cut it as quietly as possible.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

What is this guff about "making up for last year's freeze"?

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Theoretically he could freeze fare for the next 4 years then let Ken deal with it if he got back in.
                      Theoretically, he could, but he isn't going to, so I'm really struggling to grasp your point.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Lanterne, I think that has historically been the case (over the last 15 years or so), but the introduction of the newly expanded "off peak" hours seems to me to be targetted at reducing complaints from tourists who feel they are being fleeced.

Lyra, I actually know that (and have an Oyster that I use a couple of times a year), but still wonder how transparent and accessible the system is those looking for work or in casual employment, many of whom are not likely to be from London and/or have English as a first language.

And TravelCards do require a rather serious cash outlay for people in those situations.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

The mayor comes up with a tfl budget. It's no more reasonable to whine about last year's freeze than it is to complain that he didn't increase fares by 10% above inflation last year.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Absolutely. There is no "hole" here except in terms of him foregoing congestion charge income.

Nice to see my odyssey from hammer of the poor to Boris baiter is now complete. Actually, he has cut some fares off peak, so fair play to him for that. But the rises overall are a disgrace- 10% on loads of common tickets.

Vote blue, go green.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Lyra, I actually know that (and have an Oyster that I use a couple of times a year), but still wonder how transparent and accessible the system is those looking for work or in casual employment, many of whom are not likely to be from London and/or have English as a first language.

And TravelCards do require a rather serious cash outlay for people in those situations.
                              But it is more difficult to get a travelcard than an Oyster card with five quid on it. Yes it really is. It would take maliciousness on the part of the seller to let someone pay for a travelcard if they didn't need one.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

I mean, fuck me. I managed to obtain a bus ticket in Tokyo. You know? The system just is not geared towards fleecing people in that way.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Here I go again. This hasn't had much attention.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3476

Comment

Working...
                                  X