X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris Johnson again

Surprise, surprise, above inflation rises in transport costs:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/se...ndon.transport

Pathetic. The Oystercard allows all sorts of flexibility with fares. He can't in the short term do much about the bedlam of peak hours on tubes, but on buses and off-peak tube there's huge potential to cut fares. The idea that Livingston was irresponsible with cheaper fares (paid for by tax) is ridiculous.

Still, what did we expect?

Boris Johnson again

"He might be a useless Tory cnut but he was funny on Have I Got News For You"

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Surprise, surprise, more Johnson bashing

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Why not explain why you think he is so great then JTS?

Comment

Boris Johnson again

In a jibe aimed at Livingstone's deal with Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez to run London buses on cheap oil, Johnson's transport adviser said the new fares policy would be funded by Londoners. "It will be sustainably funded, rather than from the poor people of Venezuela," said Kulveer Ranger.
          He also added, "We prefer our good friends the ragheads to get the oil money. They're much more accomodating than the Spics and we have far more fun on expenses trips to Dubai than we'd ever get in some filthy hole in South America."

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Lyra, I'm not saying he's "so great", but all you ever hear from the "poor-hating" Tubby Isaacs (SR's description, not mine ) is Boris Bashing

The PR from london.gov.uk
            Press Release

Mayor announces fair and affordable fares package to sustain massive investment in London's transport
            4-9-2008 459

Elderly to benefit from 24hrs Freedom Pass
            New Income Support Scheme and off-peak fares benefits lower incomes
            But ‘tough choices’ necessary to tackle ‘the unfunded legacy of Livingstone’s largesse’
            The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, today announced an affordable fares package for 2009 to help sustain the massive investment necessary to increase capacity and reliability across London’s transport network.

The billions being invested in London’s transport network will support the transformation of the Tube, preparations for 2012, deliver Crossrail, the extension of the London Overground network and Docklands Light Railway, an even better bus network and sustainable schemes to get more people cycling and walking.

Working with London’s boroughs the elderly will benefit through the extension of the Freedom Pass to 24hrs. There will be a new half-price travel scheme for those on Income Support, now funded by the Mayor and Transport for London (TfL) rather than the people of Venezuela. And across the TfL network Oyster will remain the cheapest way to travel.

Many Londoners and visitors will benefit from the introduction of a new daytime off-peak reduced fare on the Tube, from 9.30am to 4.00pm Monday to Friday. In some cases, a journey from zone 6 to central London will be Ł1.60 cheaper. For example, using Oyster Pay As You Go to travel from zone 6 to zone 1 between 9:30 am and 4:400 pm will fall from Ł3.80 to Ł2.20.

War veterans in receipt of a pension under the War Pensions Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, including war widows and widowers and eligible dependents, will be continue to travel for free following the Mayor's announcement early this year.

However, Mayor Johnson warned of the consequences of former Mayor Livingstone's unsustainable fares policy and pursuit of unfunded transport schemes, including the hugely unpopular West London Tram project that consumed Ł30 million of public money before being scrapped. It is estimated that Livingstone's policies in his last year alone are estimated to have removed over Ł80 million from the funds available to Transport for London this year, translating into a huge gap over the ten year investment period. Overall, fares will have to rise one per cent above inflation and there will be tough choices around some unfunded transport projects, to be reviewed as part of TfL’s Business Plan published later this year.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: “This fares package is designed to be fair to all Londoners, commuters and visitors. Some of us will pay a little more but I have ensured fares will remain affordable, especially for people who rely on public transport most, including the elderly, disabled veterans and those on lower incomes.

“I have been left to tackle the unfunded legacy of Livingstone’s largesse. Put simply, the previous Mayor’s cynical and irresponsible pre-election fares freeze and support for unfunded transport schemes is unsustainable, and has produced a gap that has to be plugged. I’m determined to deliver value for money for London’s farepayers and taxpayers and that will mean some tough choices.

“But let no-one be in any doubt. We’re investing billions to improve transport in London, prepare for 2012 and deliver Crossrail. This is a fares package that will sustain the investment needed to deliver the extra capacity and reliability that is vital for London.”

Fares will rise next year based on the July 2008 Retail Price Index (RPI) plus one per cent overall. This means an overall increase of six per cent in 2009, sustaining the funds necessary for investment in the transport network. TfL will also need to keep under review the impact of higher oil prices and other global and national economic pressures.

London's Transport Commissioner, Peter Hendy said: "The Mayor's emphasis on taxpayer value means we are taking action on costs across the whole of TfL, minimising overheads and focusing on service delivery and capacity improvement in every area.

"In the Autumn, we will demonstrate how further savings, together with fares income and government grant, will produce a balanced budget in 2009/10, and the capacity for major investment in Crossrail and other schemes in the years ahead."

Ends

Notes to Editors

Details of the 2009 fares package

TUBE PEAK / OFF-PEAK TIMES

Visitors and Londoners on lower incomes will also benefit from the introduction of a new daytime off-peak and reduced fare on the Tube, from 9.30am to 4.00pm Monday to Friday.

BUS

The Oyster PAYG bus single fare increases from 90p to 100p, returning to 2007 levels. The bus and tram cash single fare is unchanged at 200p.

The One Day Bus and Tram PAYG cap rises from 300p to 330p. The additional charge for the printed One Day Bus Pass remains at 50p.

The Weekly Bus and Tram Pass rises from 1300p to 1380p. Other Bus Pass season tickets rise in proportion to the weekly Pass.

A new half price Bus and Tram discount scheme is proposed for London residents in receipt of Income Support. Terms and Conditions for customers will be the same as the previous scheme that ended in August 2008.

LONDON UNDERGROUND, DLR AND OVERGROUND

The Ł4 adult cash fare via Zone 1 is frozen, while the Ł3 non-Zone 1 fare rises to Ł3.20.

The minimum adult cash fare of Ł1.50 on the DLR and Overground rises to Ł1.60.

Oyster Pay as you go fares on the Tube are revised as shown in Table 3. The One Day Price Cap will continue to offer a 50p saving on the cost of a One Day Travelcard.

A new off peak period on the Tube between 09:30 and 16:00 has been introduced with fares reduced by over 35% on the existing peak price.

Table 3: Proposed 2009 Underground/DLR/Overground adult Oyster PAYG fares

2008 fares (p) January 2009 fares (p)
            Standard Discount Peak Off-peak
            Including Zone 1
            1 zone 150 150 160 160
            2 zones 200 150 220 160
            3 zones 250 200 270 220
            4 zones 250 200 280 220
            5 zones 350 200 370 220
            6 zones 350 200 380 220
            Not including Zone 1
            2 zones 100 100 110 110
            3 zones 180 100 200 110
            4 zones 180 100 200 110
            5 zones 180 100 200 110
            TRAVELCARDS

Travelcard prices are set in agreement with the Train Operating Companies who operate services within Greater London. Revised prices for adult tickets covering Zones 1-6 are set out below.

Table 1: 2009 adult Travelcard season prices

Current price (p) January 2009 price (p)
            Including Zone 1
            2 zones 2420 2580
            3 zones 2840 3020
            4 zones 3460 3680
            5 zones 4140 4400
            6 zones 4460 4760
            Not including Zone 1
            2 zones 1560 1660
            3 zones 2020 2140
            4 zones 2420 2560
            5 zones 3040 3240
            Table 2: 2009 adult Day Travelcard prices

Day Travelcard (Off-Peak)
            Zones 1-2 530 560
            Zones 1-4 590 630
            Zones 1-6 700 750
            Zones 2-6 480 510
            Day Travelcard (Peak)
            Zones 1-2 680 720
            Zones 1-3 800 860
            Zones 1-4 940 1000
            Zones 1-5 1180 1260
            Zones 1-6 1380 1480
            Zones 2-6 840 900
            CHILD AND DISCOUNTED FARES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE

Most child and discounted fares on the Underground are set as 50% or 70% of the adult fare. These reduced fares will increase pro-rata to the adult fares. The PAYG flat fare for 11-15s on the Tube increases from 50p to 55p in line with the increase in the PAYG minimum adult fare from 100p to 110p. The child One Day cap remains at 100p. Child off-peak One Day Travelcard prices remain at 100p and 200p. Travel by the under 11s will remain free on the Tube at all times.

ZONES 7 TO 9 OUTSIDE GREATER LONDON

The overall increase in fares beyond Zone 6 is consistent with the PRI +1% overall fares target. Revised fares to Zone 1 from Zones 7 to 9 are shown in Table 4. Travelcard season prices increase by almost exactly 6%. Increases for other fares range from zero to 9.8%.

Table 4: Proposed 2009 Underground/Overground adult prices beyond Zone 6

Zone 1 to Zone: 7 8 9 7 8 9
            Cash single 550 700 700 550 700 700
            Pay as you go Standard / peak 450 550 550 470 580 600
            Discount / off-peak 300 300 300 300 300 300
            Travelcards 7 Day 4800 5600 6500 5080 5940 6900
            Day (peak) - - 1500 - - 1620
            Day (Off peak) - - 820 - - 900
            BUS SAVER TICKETS

Transport for London will be phasing out Bus Saver Ticket, with tickets ceasing to be sold from 7th September 2008. The huge success and convenience of the Oyster card has seen falling numbers of Saver Ticket users and there are now very low numbers in use. Existing Bus Saver tickets will be accepted for bus travel for the foreseeable future

MEDIA ENQUIRIES: Press information is available from the Mayor’s Press Office - contact Matt Brown on 0207 983 433 or matt.brown@london.gov.uk
            GENERAL PUBLIC/NON-MEDIA ENQUIRIES: Call the Public Liaison Unit at the Greater London Authority on 020 7983 4100
            DUTY PRESS OFFICER: For out-of-hours media enquiries, please call 020 7983 4000

Comment

Boris Johnson again

a single peak-time tube fare in central London would rise from Ł6.30 to about Ł6.70
              I am always astounded when reminded of the price of this fare. When I was last living in London (which, to be fair, was longer ago than it seems), it was only about Ł3.20.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Take the Ł6.30 fare, that was frozen last year. So add 2% on for 2007, and 5% on for 2008 and you get Ł6.74

So the fares are in fact still below inflation over the 2 year period.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Actually, I've changed my mind. I'd be better off without those price increase. The elderly can fuck off with their 24-hr free travel. They can wait indoors listening to Radio 4 while I'm going to work.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Boris out!
                    Boris out!
                    Boris out!

Comment

Boris Johnson again

He's a racist Tory cunt. Of course all you get is Boris bashing. It's all he deserves.

Defending these prices goes beyond lunacy. Unsustainable legacy my FAT ARSE. "Investing billions" to prepare for the fucking Olympics likewise.

There is NO NEED for public transport to be so expensive and it's a fucking outrage that it is not funded properly. Is Johnson going to address the core problem? No he's going to bitch and whine about Ken. He's a fucking joke. A sick joke.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

JtS wrote:
                        Surprise, surprise, more Johnson bashing
                        Heh heh heh. Heh. He said...

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Several transport schemes announced by the former mayor will also be dropped
                          Bang goes the Ł500m to improve cycling routes around London...

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Good post.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

hobbes, I think you're second guessing there. I had a feeling that he's in favour of improving cycling conditions. I stand to be corrected.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

In a jibe aimed at Livingstone's deal with Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez to run London buses on cheap oil, Johnson's transport adviser said the new fares policy would be funded by Londoners. "It will be sustainably funded, rather than from the poor people of Venezuela," said Kulveer Ranger.
                                That really is one hell of a fucking cheek, in so many ways.

Discounted fares for elderly and disabled people will remain.
                                The unemployed, however, will soon be paying more than double what we were paying under Livingstone. This is because we are feckless dregs. Hurrah!

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Taylor, are you saying that the unemployed should face similar conditions to the elderly and unemployed?

Comment

Boris Johnson again

I doubt he's saying that.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

What is he saying?

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Not that.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

It does seem to that those most at risk from this kind of pricing system are those looking for work or in casual or temporary employment, essentially people who have to travel during rush hours, but don't do so enough to make an Oyster or TravelCard economical (or who don't have the funds for the initial "investment").

Those people and those without advanced degrees in maths or statistics, of course.

I much prefer the San Francisco system, which is an unabashed "soak the tourists" scheme in which a single ride on a cable car costs USD 5, while a month-long pass good on the entire network costs USD 45 (with a subsidised version available to those on low incomes for USD 35).

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Ok, I thought there was some kind of comparison going on.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

To be honest, I think fair debate about the mayor's policies are fair enough, and debate about the mayor as a person is fair enough, but using one to have a go at the other is weak.

Ok you don't like Boris Johnson. But having a pop at him on his above inflation price rises which are above inflation due to there being a price freeze last year is just pathetic.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

Ok you don't like Boris Johnson. But having a pop at him on his above inflation price rises which are above inflation due to there being a price freeze last year is just pathetic.
                                                Why? It's not like Boris froze prices last year.

Comment

Boris Johnson again

The only comparison is that unemployed people are also skint. Livingstone's deal with Chavez seemed fair enough to me - half price travel on buses. The elderly and disabled, if in possession of the right pass, get free travel; even I wouldn't suggest we layabouts got that (I could, as someone currently unfit to work, push for a Freedom Pass, but I doubt I'd get it and I'd feel a bit queasy about it if I did), but I don't see any good argument against the half-price deal. Certainly, "it was funded by the poor people of Venezuela" is not a good argument, for a variety of reasons, chief among them being that it's not true.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X