No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satchmo is right. It is Prolet in the original.

Comment

How Presbyterian.

Comment

And talking of presbyterians....

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1342170159600070656?s=20

Comment

Luckily the users of Netscape Communicator 4.0 are covered by the agreement https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55475433

Comment

Brexit being rewritten as if it’s Leicester City

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1343984426804523010?s=21

Comment

People are ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                Brexit being rewritten as if it’s Leicester City

https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1343984426804523010?s=21
                In fairness both largely owe their success to the funding of shadowy dodgy figures, with suspicious connections to undemocratic regimes, and the incuriosity of a compliant complacent media, more interested in narrative than underlying truths

Comment

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1343890893745565696

Comment

Stupid bastard. No sympathy.

Comment

Absolutely none for him. Feel sorry for the workers there, who will suffer most. I hope he suffers too, at least.

Comment

Oh, agreed.

The stupid bastard.

Comment

'I never would have guessed that employing a Great White Shark as a swimming instructor would be a danger to my kids'

Comment

A short thread

https://twitter.com/mdouganlpool/status/1344313846933172230

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                              It's excellent, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                If Scotland doesn't vote to escape this racist shitpile after this it never will.
                                I don't know if it's unique to where I came from (Lanarkshire), but my most vociferous Facebook friends from 'back home' seem to be rabidly anti-SNP and independence. One posted a quote from the Scottish Conservatives the other day FFS. These are working/lower middle class people I'm talking about. WTF is wrong with them? Is it the old religious divide spilling into politics making some Proddys support the Union no matter what?

Comment

I think that is happening, folk becoming British Nationalists in a way that never really existed before (you could have red white and blue underpants, a sash and sing No Surrender at Ibrox every weekend and still be "culturally" a Scottish Nationalist getting weepy at the thought of fucking Bonnie Prince Charlie and the '45. And probably voted Labour). Walter Scott invented cultural nationalism (not just for Scotland) and was also the architect of half of Unionism's tropes. Now there's a full scale rejection of all things Scottish, a glee taken in bad things happening cos it'll put Wee Jimmy Krankie's gas at a peep.

and all at a time when the Tories mutate from Brit Nats to full on English Nationalists. The new version of the Scottish cringe must make for some mad mental gymnastics in these folks' heids.

there's also the almost total collapse of Scottish Labour for all the likes of Jackie Baillie and Lanarkshire councillors try to dog whistle the succulent lamb vote back into the fold. No shame in being a Tory wi a dad wha wiz a miner anymore it seems.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-12-2020, 23:35.

Comment

Remainers and Leavers are fighting over Thatcher’s corpse to claim her for their cause, after the ridiculous David Amess Tweet showing a cardboard cut-out of her, as he now thinks she looks in heaven where she’s rejoicing. Yeh.

I’ve just had a long Twitter argument with someone who claimed she “took us into the EU”. Nope, that was Major.

Long story short: she was pro-EC and single market in the 70s and up to the late 80s, so it’s easy to find her saying lots of pro-European stuff. However, she was critical and got increasingly pissed off with other members, most of whom were social democrats. She was anti-Maastricht. John Major signed up to it, she supported the rebels.

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/108305

Comment

How long did it take for that EEC Nine jumper to make an appearance?

Comment

Labour think it's a shit deal but voted for it anyway because the alternative is that they don't vote for it and it passes anyway.

Centre left parties around they world are having a competition to see who can be the absolute dumbest, and UK Labour have just thrown down the gauntlet.

Comment

The UK appears to have dropped the ball in relation to Gibraltar, the Falklands and other overseas territories.

Comment

Fuckin fannies.

Comment

Originally posted by willie1foot View Post
                                              I don't know if it's unique to where I came from (Lanarkshire), but my most vociferous Facebook friends from 'back home' seem to be rabidly anti-SNP and independence. One posted a quote from the Scottish Conservatives the other day FFS. These are working/lower middle class people I'm talking about. WTF is wrong with them? Is it the old religious divide spilling into politics making some Proddys support the Union no matter what?
                                              Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              I think that is happening, folk becoming British Nationalists in a way that never really existed before (you could have red white and blue underpants, a sash and sing No Surrender at Ibrox every weekend and still be "culturally" a Scottish Nationalist getting weepy at the thought of fucking Bonnie Prince Charlie and the '45. And probably voted Labour). Walter Scott invented cultural nationalism (not just for Scotland) and was also the architect of half of Unionism's tropes. Now there's a full scale rejection of all things Scottish, a glee taken in bad things happening cos it'll put Wee Jimmy Krankie's gas at a peep.
                                              It's not just Lanarkshire, nor is it religion as such, but a combination of many factors can change the most unlikely candidates.
                                              Sadly I had to unfriend one of my old schoolfriends on Facebook a few years back because I didn't want to have a terminal falling out over social media.
                                              His background & upbringing is just like mine - born & raised in Aberdeen, family are nominally Church of Scotland (although not practising), but he & his older brother chose to support Rangers rather than The Dons. No big deal, there were a fair few OF supporters at our school in the 70's, as Aberdeen weren't up to much at that time. Doug (for that is his name) and his brother, and a couple of their Rangers supporting pals even came down on our supporters bus to the 1982 Scottish Cup Final between the 2 teams, and after about half an hour of piss-taking on the journey home it was business as usual.
                                              There was a fairly infamous Orange March in Aberdeen in the mid-80's (which wasn't something we were used to), and it attracted flute bands and their acolytes (mostly in full Rangers regalia) from Glasgow, Lanark & Ayrshire. It descended into chaos at the end as the Aberdeen Soccer Casuals ambushed it as it was reaching it's conclusion, but Doug thought that the whole thing was thoroughly marvellous.
                                              As he went through his 20's and was earning better money, he started travelling with the local supporters club to follow Rangers, and began to see religious bigotry as acceptable, even something to be celebrated.
                                              He had always been an enthusiastic supporter of the national side, but after Brian Laudrup was jeered by the Tartan Army in a 1998 friendly at Ibrox, that totally stopped.
                                              Things took a turn for the worse in 2012 with Rangers liquidation. He went full-on 'Billy Boy', wrapped himself in the Union flag, and the posts on Facebook got more extreme - UKIP / Britain First / Poppy-mania every November / even the EDL started appearing on his timeline. By the time we reached IndyRef in 2014 he was a lost cause and I had to mute him for my own sanity.
                                              I've just popped onto his Facebook page for a quick look for the first time in many years, and he's not nearly as active nowadays, there's still a few of anti-SNP posts being shared, but thankfully it's mostly about golf again.
                                              I just hope he has seen sense and not taken his sectarian / unionist nonsense to Twitter or Instagram instead, but I'm not inclined to go checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                The UK appears to have dropped the ball in relation to Gibraltar, the Falklands and other overseas territories.
                                                Despite trying everything we could, the European Commission refused to negotiate a future relationship that included the OTs. We sought to change the Commission’s position, but it declined to engage.
                                                Yeah, that happened.

Comment

I thought I saw something the other day about Gibraltar going into Schengen. Did I dream that?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X