No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland will suffer heavily in a trade war, so the cunts are hoping that they can use us as a bargaining chip.

Comment

Does the Treasury Solicitor really use Comic Sans on his letterhead?

Comment

Definitely not Comic Sans. It's Lindsey Pro I think? Bad font, for sure.

Comment

I mean, it would be fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I worded that carefully - if anything she'll abstain (and even that is an outside bet) but she won't be going through the lobby with the opposition.
            I thought about that - I still think she will vote for it. It's not as if she is the kind of person who understands anything other than unswerving loyalty.

Besides, she was the one who signed Article 50.

Comment

UK signs a trade deal with Japan which, er, ultimately replicates the EU-Japan FTA.

Comment

How does it work, this "we're following the Ministerial Code" argument?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  How does it work, this "we're following the Ministerial Code" argument?
                  David Allen Greens interpretation of it is "The people telling you to do this know that they are breaking the law, so don't worry, the blame won't come to you."

Comment

That makes sense, in terms of Jonathan Jones's memo. But how does the argument of the cabinet secretary go?

Comment

Brexit Twitter twats all going, "Gina Miller haha Karma LOL" like her case has anything to do with this beyond Braverman's gibberish.

Although Braverman's gibberish will hold sway, so actual legal reasoning will be a casualty along with everything else that society expects from its Government.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        That makes sense, in terms of Jonathan Jones's memo. But how does the argument of the cabinet secretary go?

Their argument is grounded in the premise that the prohibition on violating the law only applies to domestic law and not to international law.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...de-brexit-deal

Comment

Ok. So how does that stand up to the fact of the EWCA decision in R (GULF CENTRE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS) v THE PRIME MINISTER and THE CHANCELLOR OF THE DUCHY OF LANCASTER?

My understanding of that is that the government of the day changed the code, removing specific reference to "international law", leaving reference to "law". The GCHR pursued a JR of this change, claiming that the change was:

(1) The Deletion breached the principle of legality because it was taken in secret and without consultation;
                          (2) The Code was amended for an improper purpose/in an improper manner, and
                          (3) The Decision to make the Deletion was irrational.

The decision was that the deletion was not a change in substance, as "law" includes "international law", among other things.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mariaflan/status/1304391338411122691

And what's going on with England here - seems to be the old Heptarchy?

Comment

Dirty fucking Brits

Comment

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1304462878439862275?s=20

Comment

The European Parliament doesn't pull any punches.

Comment

nor does the political editor o the Economist

https://twitter.com/JohnGPeet/status/1304748976143511552?s=20

Comment

https://www.thelocal.com/20200911/al...ving-in-europe

Fuck these disgraceful cunts. I hope they all die in a fire. Slowly.

Comment

What's your position ad hoc? do you have Romanian citizenship already?

Comment

The ministry here had been working with the British embassy to ensure that our rights were pretty much as before. I was intending to eventually get Romanian citizenship but didn't feel like there was much rush. Now I will push that a lot more because (a) I think Romania would have every right to fuck us over as a result of this; and (b) I no longer want to be British in any meaningful sense

Comment

Is there a Romanian language test involved with getting citizenship?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                              Is there a Romanian language test involved with getting citizenship?
                                              Yes. That will be my biggest challenge. As a result of where I live and who I live with, I've tended to focus more on Hungarian as the language to pick up. I understand Romanian pretty well but my productive skills are severely lacking

Comment

Are they looking for A2 or B1 level?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  my productive skills are severely lacking
                                                  Does that mean speaking and writing?

Comment

Is Hungarian not an official language? Would it be easier to get Hungarian citizenship or would that be problematic?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X