No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for our lawyer-in-residence to analyse.

Comment

Seems spot on to me

Comment

All the while, I see the euro has risen from 91p to 93p just over the course of the day.

Comment

The Government’s argument is that Parliament’s legal capacity in domestic law to make any law it wants somehow makes it acceptable, as a matter of international law, for the UK to renege on its treaty obligations. But the latter does not follow from the former.
          I'm not sure that's true, at least as far as the Legal Position is concerned. It goes out of its way not to make any statement about compliance with international law, other than a mealy mouthed statement to the effect (though not an actual affirmation) that "We are too acting in good faith". It just pivots from that statement to talk exclusively (at least explicitly) about domestic law and the constitution. I suspect it's worded in a way designed to make people draw the inference it's talking about what is acceptable in international law, but that's not what the plain language says.

All that said I absolutely agree with "The Government’s statement is risible because it utterly misses the central point of concern."

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
            One for our lawyer-in-residence to analyse.
            My dissertation was more coherent than that and I gave up, drew some sort of conclusion to finish it like I was shooting an injured racehorse and slapped it in. It got the 3rd it deserved, although my other marks dragged me up to a 2:2.

More eminent legal minds than mine have been unkind to that word salad, as will the verdict of history.

Comment

GY, I think that Elliott is saying that that position is the only possible logical underpinning of the Government's position, rather than something they assert explicitly

Comment

Gove stating that "with regret", the Bill will not be withdrawn.

Comment

So EU going to take Johnson to court for being a measly skunk

meanwhile there’s another fight brewing

https://twitter.com/profmarkelliott/status/1304116539147399174?s=21

can only see this escalating- like Brexit itself there’s no political capital in calming things down or reaching difficult agreement

Comment

Meanwhile, some Tories want a parliamentary veto on the Bill, which wouldn't amount to a hill of beans, given Johnson's majority:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1304103835674304512

Comment

So EU going to take Johnson to court for being a measly skunk
                      Has this been decided? I've looked at sources in four languages and not seen anything.

Comment

Isn't a Parliamentary veto exercised by simply voting no?

Comment

I would not be surprised if there is a low key armed conflict between the UK and either Spain or France in the coming years...the way things are going, we might as well go for wild speculations.

Comment

Something like the Cod Wars of the mid-70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                              I would not be surprised if there is a low key armed conflict between the UK and either Spain or France in the coming years...the way things are going, we might as well go for wild speculations.
                              As has been suggested already, can Spain tear up the Treaty of Utrecht and invade the Rock in a specific, but limited way?

Comment

https://twitter.com/stevepeers/status/1304137553566629898?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1304131578638012416?s=20

In which the outgoing head of the Government Legal Department (who is working his notice) hangs the new Cabinet Secretary out to dry. Though I winced at the dread words of "raise them in the first instance with your line manager".

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Has this been decided? I've looked at sources in four languages and not seen anything.
                                    On the table
                                    For example

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1303968531520905216?s=21

Comment

There is a massive difference there, as I'm sure you appreciate

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                                        I think the UK government being what it is, they'd likely declare war on the Faroe Islands or another small nation for a tabloid victory. Maybe they can start a conflict over the Falklands again.

Comment

I realise I am not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to many things, but I thought the framework for the future relationship wasn't legally binding.

Can someone explain what it actually is the government are breaking international law on.

Comment

The Withdrawal Agreement became a binding international treaty when enacted by both the UK and European Parliaments, so even in a no deal scenario, it would take effect on January 1st, unless and until it were to be repealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

...while Theresa May is allowing it to be rumoured that she won't vote for the bill.
                                              She'd rather die than vote against the Conservative Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

She'd rather die than vote against the Conservative Party.
                                                I worded that carefully - if anything she'll abstain (and even that is an outside bet) but she won't be going through the lobby with the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                  The Withdrawal Agreement became a binding international treaty when enacted by both the UK and European Parliaments, so even in a no deal scenario, it would take effect on January 1st, unless and until it were to be repealed.
                                                  Right, two different things, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                                    I cannot for the life of me understand why the EU hasn't just cut their losses and told us to go fuck ourselves by this point. It's as clear as day that the UK Government isn't interested in a deal and is negotiating in bad faith.

I suppose they have to keep up the pretence for political reasons if nothing else.
                                                    Havent seen this fully addressed at all. Why havent the EU just said fuck it and leave the UK to deal fully with the consequences of a non trade deal with the European bloc.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X