No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's funny ha ha, though. Schadenfreude aside, the blaming of the EU, Brussels and anyone else is the sort of reaction that's likely to be standard.

Comment

The author has added more tweets to the thread today.

Comment

It just gets better. Talking to Farrage to sort it out. Trying to bribe the mayor.

Comment

"One lady has switched her day off to be there."

Comment

It's so little Englander at work, fucking magnificent.

Comment

I only find it terribly sad, I'm afraid.

In a country where ignorance is a virtue and the (former?) education minister announces the country has had enough of experts I have some sympathy with a fool who has believed what he's been told

Comment

Well, there goes the deadline for applying for an extension.

If there was ever any doubt it's now erased. We're fucked.

Comment

Are any of the suggested remedies - a waiver, a different type of residency applicable? I mean Brexit is nuts, but UK citizens lived and worked overseas before the country joined the EEC, didn't they?

Comment

They can apply for a residency permit (and certain kinds of visa), but they don't appear to have any inclination to do so (or to try to meet the requirements).

Under the terms of the Brexit deal, Britons will have to apply for special residency permits that will specifically state they are protected by the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Brits have until December 31st, 2020 to become legally resident in France and then will have until at least the end of June 2021 to make the application.

France announced back in January that it would be creating a new online process, and despite the widespread chaos caused by the coronavirus epidemic and following lockdown, it had seemed that the site was still on course to open in July as planned.

"A new website adapted to the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement will be opened in anticipation early July 2020," reads the message from the French government.

"British citizens residing in France will be issued specific residence permits 'United Kingdom's withdrawal agreement from the EU' for which they will have to apply before July 1st, 2021," reads the message from the French government.

The applications will still be processed by individual pr?fectures, but the application must first be made online (although there are expected to be exemptions for people who do not have internet access).

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                        I only find it terribly sad, I'm afraid.

In a country where ignorance is a virtue and the (former?) education minister announces the country has had enough of experts I have some sympathy with a fool who has believed what he's been told
                        Deep down I don't really find it funny, it's more sad and tragic. The fact that somebody is willing to use their precious holiday entitlement to travel to another country to rail at somebody that will be unable to help them is almost too tragic for words.

When I attempt to think rationally about Brexit, as well as the last 4 years in Britain, the people I get really angry about are the cynical architects of the process rather than the "fools" and the ""easily led", that's even though some of my irritating passing acquaintances could be described as "easily led", that's even though those passing acquaintances have disowned their muddled thinking and lack of personal research, that's even though their decisions have helped to shepherd us towards our present political horrorshow.

It would be easy to think of catharsis and unload my annoyance upon my passing acquaintances wherever I encounter one it still wouldn't change the main cause of our horrorshow; without the most cynical multi-level fear mongering there would have been less chance of the horrorshow happening, at least in its present form.

Imagine being the sort of person that feels able to passionately advocate the brilliance of an economic system whilst you cynically use the negative effects of your holy economic system to engineer a demand for your political position. Imagine being so proud to play your part in the world's bestest democracy that you're willing to say any old guff to get elected and countenance using any old method to engineer demand for your message.

Cynical politicians and cynical political organisers are hardly a new thing but it still blows my mind that we are where we are.

Comment

Another excellent post Kowalski

A tragic farce that has left 65 million people poorer in every sense of the word, obviously financially but culturally too.

And for what?

Comment

The tyre fitter is going to have self-quarantine himself too isn't he, meaning it'll cost him more than a couple of days holiday?

Comment

Brexit was mentioned as one of the main reasons by the new owners of Wigan Athletic for putting the club into administration, quite an irony considering how pro-Brexit the town is...

Comment

Some bad news about our storyteller.

Comment

It’s fake anyway. Hilarious, but fake.

Comment

Yes, that became fairly clear yesterday with the bridge saga.

Comment

That is so disappointing. I'd made a note to check Twitter this evening.

Comment

I think it chimed in with the whole smart-arsedness (!) attitudes around Brexit that have been going on for years. The only thing that would make me like the person who is writing this is if they came out and said 'it was a meta-parody, just to flush out the idiotic FBPE-ers, who like to revel in their intellectual stupidity'. Here's hoping.

Comment

The account has disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                            The account has disappeared.
                                            Apparently after a final post saying people were trying to hack his Twitter and sending him death threats via direct messages

Comment

I see that the Agriculture Bill is making its way into law completely fucking the farming industry and the food supply chain so that we can give the USA whatever it wants.

Who knew?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Apparently after a final post saying people were trying to hack his Twitter and sending him death threats via direct messages
                                                He's back on.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1280438431328407557

Comment

Just a reminder of the con that’s been perpetrated on us

https://twitter.com/londonyc/status/1281881628910981121?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                    X