The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
    I don't understand why the term "no deal Brexit" has been changed lately. The UK avoided what had previously been termed a "no deal Brexit "by agreeing the withdrawal agreement with the EU. This meant that there was a transition period to agree a trade deal (which we are now in).

Now the term seems to be used to describe the situation where we don't agree a *trade* deal with the EU. I can understand how the term "no deal Brexit" might be apposite for this situation when considered in isolation, but it just muddies the waters and confuses matters to use the same term for this as for the previous situation, surely?
    It's always meant no trade deal. The Withdrawal agreement only ever covered the mechanics of actually leaving. (Have you paid your bill, guaranteed rights of eu citizens in your country etc)

Comment

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1266639762653351936

Comment

I am becoming increasingly convinced that evangelical protestantism is a form of voluntary brain damage.

Comment

Haven't you always been 100% sure?

Comment

About that Nissan decision...

Comment

UK "formally rejects" transition extension, though I don't think there's anything but embarrassment preventing them changing their minds for another two and a bit weeks..

Comment

The lying charlatan continues to lie

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1272541302291390467?s=20

Comment

Tim Tams: Julia Gillard provides context -

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/s...87019976572928

Comment

Johnson had probably eaten the kipper for breakfast and needed something to go with his cup of tea.

Comment

Shock and Awe

https://twitter.com/davies_will/status/1273519171717025792?s=20

Comment

Behavioural science... just fuck off Cummings.

Comment

I was amused at the concern about Leave voters being harder to convince things would not be nice and easy...

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            Behavioural science... just fuck off Cummings.
                            He's running the country until Johnson goes, or his project is complete. He's invulnerable based on the Durham jaunt. We're fucked.

Comment

Assuming that behavioural science isn't a bunch of woo (or rather, his branch of behavioural science isn't a bunch of woo), it's more that he's running it based on the concept that actual human lives are nothing more than cells in a spreadsheet. That needs to be called out urgently.

He probably thinks that he's Hari Seldon.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

He's running the country until Johnson goes, or his project is complete. He's invulnerable based on the Durham jaunt. We're fucked.
                                I'm sure that airey neave felt the same way

Comment

So much in that politico article:

Quote: because “people have a higher level of trust in third parties and peers than they do in government.”
                                  I wonder why?

Quote: The document states: “With nine months to go, now is the time to ensure that clarity and certainty is communicated wherever possible about what will happen at the end of the year."
                                  Yeeaahhhh

Quote: The plan forms part of a ?4.5 million advertising deal the government has struck with media agency MullenLowe London, which has also been working on communications around the coronavirus pandemic.
                                  Because that went so fucking well.

Comment

I'm amazed that an agency is involved in the coronavirus messages to be honest, they're not only poorly-worded and amateurish-looking, but there also seems to be no visual throughline to connect all the different messages, so they all look like they've been done by different people who don't talk to each other. They're either very bad at their job, or doing the graphic design equivalent of shitposting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I'm sure that airey neave felt the same way
                                      Given Neave's previous experience I doubt he was ever complacent...

Comment

Interesting timing for the government to publish this on diverging from EU finreg, given the state of negotiations over the level playing field commitments.

Comment

And EU students, unsurprisingly, will no longer have access to home student fees in England from 2021-22, though the other three nations are free to set their own rules in that regard.

Comment

So, Brexit had an economic motivation of libertarian global trade, but the UK is finding that the US is even more protectionist than the EU:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1275786315628494851

Comment

Saw something about Japan taking the existing EU-Japan deal, stripping all the bits they didn’t like out of it and saying “take it or leave it”.

Comment

A Funny little thread

[URL="https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1277505330885386240"]https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status...05330885386240[/URL]

Comment

It's almost as though they didn't think things through...
                                                  Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 29-06-2020, 18:00. Reason: unlike me when I posted...

Comment

That's some thread.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X