No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frying pan to fire. The world of education has always fascinated me, particularly how they spend the money and are they doing it properly...

Comment

It's worth saying that an awful lot of people I have worked with for the past two decades and have twenty, thirty, forty years service have nowt lined up. For some, it's a sweet relief, but I know plenty of couples who are both about to get finished and have difficult situations looming.

Comment

Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
          Almost a thousand Britons being naturalised as Irish next week - to put that in context, the figure was 600 during the first six months of 2019.
          What possible reason is there for having to attend a ceremony in Kerry to get entitlement or a passport on top of paying well over a grand in fees? I've less than zero desire to be patronised and patted on the head by that egregious RIC loving cunt Charlie fuckin Flanagan or whatever cunt is next month's head of the Gardai, the German local town hall system of naturalisation seems far better. And it's not a disgusting gouge.

Comment

There was also a backlog after a typically bullshit judgement from Barrett J awaiting overturning.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

What possible reason is there for having to attend a ceremony in Kerry to get entitlement or a passport on top of paying well over a grand in fees? I've less than zero desire to be patronised and patted on the head by that egregious RIC loving cunt Charlie fuckin Flanagan or whatever cunt is next month's head of the Gardai, the German local town hall system of naturalisation seems far better. And it's not a disgusting gouge.
              TBF, I think the ceremony's optional - totally agree on the fee, though.

Comment

The UK-US FTA objectives have been published - the biggest surprise is that even if all tariffs were removed, British exports would only improve by £3 billion in total, not even per annum:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/l...tent=immediate

Comment

UK to withdraw from EU aviation safety regulator, Shapps says

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Gmail

“As you would expect from an independent nation, we can’t be subject to the rules and laws made by somebody else, so we can’t accept rules from the EU commission and we can’t accept rulings in terms of court cases from the European court of justice or anybody else, any more than the US would,” he told Aviation Week in Washington.
                  They cannot resist chucking in a line about independence can they?

Comment

Last I looked, the UK was a member of the ICC. It is also planning to sign up to the Hague Convention, under which its courts will enforce rulings in other signatory countries.

Comment

Indeed, the UK has a judge (Howard Morrison) on the ICC and has had a number of judges on the ICJ (though Christopher Greenwood's term expired recently). The US, of course, is also a member of the ICJ and has a current judge. And let's not mention the WTO dispute settlement mechanisms.

Their ignorance knows no bounds.

Comment

Johnson confirms there will be checks at Warrenpoint, Belfast and Larne.

Comment

A month and a half to go, folks.

Comment

It's a no deal Brexit then. We were fucked before now it's going to be like necrophilia.

Comment

I dunno, I can see them using the pandemic as an excuse to extend. He doesn't have to face the electorate any time soon and has a big enough majority to ignore any pouting ERGers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                I dunno, I can see them using the pandemic as an excuse to extend. He doesn't have to face the electorate any time soon and has a big enough majority to ignore any pouting ERGers.
                                I can see the opposite, using Coronavirus to justify the Brexit no deal mess...

Comment

Johnson has already said there will be no extension, it would be so easy to get one and reach a proper deal if that was the aim. Exceptional circumstances and all that. But they clearly don't want a deal.

Comment

I think Moonlight Shadow is correct. The economy is so fucked right now and everything generally is so fucked that they're hoping that the chaos from a No Deal Brexit will go under the radar or just get lumped in as part of the Coronavirus chaos.

Comment

La Signora's cousin and his wife (avid Leavers both) were congratulating themselves on managing to get their hands on some Lithuanian flour the other day. Their lack of connection between this and membership of the EU was an audible "Huh?"
                                      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 21-05-2020, 22:25.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GerardAraud/status/1263509801046245376?s=20

Comment

You can always judge the state of the nation by the adverts on Talksport.

2 months ago it was funeral directors. Now, it's "Pick For Britain".

"Get some dirt in your nails, and the sun on your back!".

Comment

Customs training preparations are a shitshow, to nobody's surprise.

Comment

Paywall

Comment

I don't understand why the term "no deal Brexit" has been changed lately. The UK avoided what had previously been termed a "no deal Brexit "by agreeing the withdrawal agreement with the EU. This meant that there was a transition period to agree a trade deal (which we are now in).

Now the term seems to be used to describe the situation where we don't agree a *trade* deal with the EU. I can understand how the term "no deal Brexit" might be apposite for this situation when considered in isolation, but it just muddies the waters and confuses matters to use the same term for this as for the previous situation, surely?

Comment

Not sure if it was posted elsewhere, but the news yesterday that Nissan were continuing in Sunderland and closing plants outside the UK led to a wave of pro-Brexit and anti-remainer comments. In the manner of "proof that Brexit WAS justified" and "remainers WANTED the Sunderland plant to close". Fucking hell.

Comment

I have some sympathy for the argument that had the decision gone the other way, remainers would have been loudly proclaiming it as a result of Brexit. Going the steps on to what Arturo posted is obviously not justified.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X