No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's classic disaster capitalism. Think Chile under Pinochet or post Hurricane Katrina.

Comment

British users of any Google company will no longer be covered by GDPR, and instead their personal data will be subject to US standards.

Comment

Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
          British users of any Google company will no longer be covered by GDPR, and instead their personal data will be subject to US standards.
          It's not as simple as that. The UK Data Protection Act still applies, and that is still reasonably closely aligned with GDPR (UK-specific exceptions include use for immigration purposes).

This change might mean that Google are able to shift a bit faster if UK legislation changes (e.g. because of trade or security deals, because "GDPR blocks innovation OMG!", because "GDPR blocks what we want to do on public services", etcetera).

Comment

None of our data's secure anyway. It's all in the cloud now and anyone can get it in minutes if they want it. I get cold called by bogus scammers who know more about me than I do.

Comment

What are you doing answering the phone?

Comment

Originally posted by pkw View Post
                It's not as simple as that. The UK Data Protection Act still applies, and that is still reasonably closely aligned with GDPR (UK-specific exceptions include use for immigration purposes).

This change might mean that Google are able to shift a bit faster if UK legislation changes (e.g. because of trade or security deals, because "GDPR blocks innovation OMG!", because "GDPR blocks what we want to do on public services", etcetera).
                Reading between the lines of the article, it sounds like what's really the issue here is the privacy shield agreement between EU and the US, the "adequacy" regime for third countries, and what happens if the UK government seeks information about individuals whose data is in Ireland.

Comment

I can see a good data protection academic who publicly agrees

Comment

NME claiming that any non-UK musician will require a visa and £1,000 in savings to perform in the UK after the transition period:

https://www.nme.com/news/non-uk-musi...mpression=true

Comment

Fuckin hell

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                        NME claiming that any non-UK musician will require a visa and £1,000 in savings to perform in the UK after the transition period:

https://www.nme.com/news/non-uk-musi...mpression=true
                        Presumably, the EU will impose similar rules on UK musicians, yes?

Comment

Council agrees negotiating mandate

Comment

UK mandate published

FT is leading on the line that we're threatening to walk away in June and prepare for WTO terms if things aren't progressing. Which I actually find encouraging, as it means the government is acknowledging that July is the real deadline. Of course, the UK backpedalling as hard as it can on the political declaration is not so encouraging.

Comment

The EU equivalent of settled status has just been launched.

Comment

Sounds like it's more about the documentation than the actual framework, which will still be up to individual member states (subject to FTA).

Comment

Indeed, but standardising the proof of residence should at least simplify the process.

Comment

Almost a thousand Britons being naturalised as Irish next week - to put that in context, the figure was 600 during the first six months of 2019.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rade-says-gove
                                      Red tape Brexit continues apace.

The article neglects to mention that HMRC is in the midst of haemorghing tens of thousands of staff as it retreats from the big towns and smaller cities into thirteen superstatesites in cities that have buoyant employment markets.

Comment

Why are they doing this? There's two new build blocks of 10 storeys in Glasgow's Financial district flying up at the moment for HMRC. Keeping staff in say East Kilbride real estate must be a lot cheaper. Is it to get the "best and the brightest"? (Who will prob go to vampire wankers like Accenture for three times the money)

Comment

First you run down a public service, then you say it isn't working and the private sector could do it better.

Comment

Private sector tax farmers, christ.

Comment

Hey, it worked perfectly fine for thousands of years. Are you some kind of statist Mazarinesque cuck?

Comment

Yeah I oughta Read Some Hayek.

Comment

Anyway, I'm past caring, I'm out in four weeks.

Comment

You have something else lined up?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X