The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    What about the 70-80 percent of trade by value that isn't food and livestock?
    That's precisely why both sides remain poles apart.

Comment

But it is more than just a difference of opinion.

The UK has not made any proposal whatsoever; their answer to the question appears to the shrug emoji

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        But it is more than just a difference of opinion.

The UK has not made any proposal whatsoever; their answer to the question appears to the shrug emoji
        True, but being charitable forces him back towards the Withdrawal Agreement.

Comment

The Backstop: A Play.
          Ireland: You've got to protect the Good Friday Agreement
          UK: Yeah you and whose army?
          Ireland: Us and the EU.
          UK: Yeah well we'll trade with the USA instead
          Ireland : Us, the EU and the USA
          UK: Yeah well we'll just get a trade deal from the new EU commission
          Ireland: Oh you're really not going to like this.
          UK: Hah, silly little Ireland.
          Ireland: this is going to hurt us nearly as much as its going to hurt you, but not quite.

Stick them in stripey Vests, and half bury them in pots, and away you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
            Strange that kuennsberg didn’t do this bit though

(from The Guardian )

or the fact that Johnson lied
            Indeed.

If the context was just 'getting information out there' in that one tweet, I think the reaction to Kuennsberg has been a bit over the top, given that Omar had tweeted out himself about confronting Johnson. With context (in terms of her overall output, and the BBC's inability/refusal to properly describe what's going on), it's a pattern of inexcusable negligence and complicity.

Comment

I suppose that if you'e a journalist the fact that Boris Johnson is a liar is discounted- just "Boris being Boris "as Laura Kuennsberg used to say.

https://twitter.com/sazza_jay/status/1174432922075451392?s=20

Comment

Meanwhile the Telegraph has found a European who Grees with them on Brexit

[URL]https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1174417341154779137?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I hope the grandstanding bollocks of Aidan O'Neill in the Supreme Court hasn't bollocksed up the prorogation case, but I'm not confident. Can't imagine the Judges warmed to his windy rhetoric. The Angus B McNeill of Silks, the Pete Wishart of QCs, a perfect fit for that transphobic Salmondite Cherry.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-09-2019, 00:10.

Comment

You just don't understand double silk culture

Comment

Ha ha?

Comment

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Agreed.

It makes no sense.

Comment

What the fuck is a "non-paper"? Apparently we're sharing them with the EU.

Comment

So, there's lots of talk and excitement about these prorogation court cases. But what are the consequences for the government if they lose? Does Boris Johnson, or the entire government, go to prison? Does the government have to pay a fine to itself? I fear, at best, it's going to be one of those symbolic victories that the Conservatives will treat as water off a duck's back and that the Brexity voting parts of the country will completely ignore while the FBPEers whip themselves into a frenzy of meaningless delight only for nothing to change other than us being two weeks closer to leaving.

Comment

Floating ideas to test the political temperature, it would seem, or flying kites, to use the Anglo-Irish term.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    What the fuck is a "non-paper"? Apparently we're sharing them with the EU.
                                    Maybe they're ideas that HMG know that the French will reject.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      So, there's lots of talk and excitement about these prorogation court cases. But what are the consequences for the government if they lose? Does Boris Johnson, or the entire government, go to prison? Does the government have to pay a fine to itself? I fear, at best, it's going to be one of those symbolic victories that the Conservatives will treat as water off a duck's back and that the Brexity voting parts of the country will completely ignore while the FBPEers whip themselves into a frenzy of meaningless delight only for nothing to change other than us being two weeks closer to leaving.

I don't think the result will have much of an direct effect upon the Brexit process, but it will affect the general perception of the Government and PM's competence and honesty, which would possibly have a knock-on effect during the next GE.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                        Floating ideas to test the political temperature, it would seem, or flying kites, to use the Anglo-Irish term.
                                        Firstly that's Hiberno-english, and secondly, I think it's time to move Anglo, to the end of that phrase, in recognition of the UK's status as the junior partner in the relationship. An Irish-Anglo term would be "Jolly Hockeysticks," or be a long boring story about hunting or boarding school in england,

Comment

They are reportedly proposals/suggestions that the Government has put forward, but does not necessarily support.

So, flying kites in Anglo Irish or taking the piss in the Queen's English.

SB, from everything I have read, the most likely sanction, should the Supreme Court rule against the Government, is that they will have to come up with a "better" reason for the prorogation should they want to keep Parliament from sitting. It rather reminds me of the process that produced Muslim Ban 2.0 and Muslim Ban 3.0 over here.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Maybe they're ideas that HMG know that the French will reject.
                                            I think it just gives them cover for floating an endless series of ideas in the hope that one of them will stick, without the public embarrassment of the EU shooting them down, as the UK's stated position.

Comment

Predicting an appellate decision from oral argument is one of the law's great mug's games, but Keen's summation sounded very much like someone who expects to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I don't think the result will have much of an direct effect upon the Brexit process, but it will affect the general perception of the Government and PM's competence and honesty, which would possibly have a knock-on effect during the next GE.
                                                Is there anyone (aside from the usual blinkered cheerleaders) who doesn't already believe the government is incompetent and dishonest? The walls are already built, they're not likely to be shifted by something as arcane as a High Court ruling.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Is there anyone (aside from the usual blinkered cheerleaders) who doesn't already believe the government is incompetent and dishonest? The walls are already built, they're not likely to be shifted by something as arcane as a High Court ruling.

Well, I suppose most people's views are fairly entrenched at this stage but there is enough flexibility of views to influence an election outcome, I think. And sometimes is not about changing views it's firming up your support and undermining that of your opponents.

Comment

There is a very real risk that a High Court ruling against the government would increase Tory support

Comment

Working...
                                                    X