The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post

Each of whom were profoundly annoying and nowhere near grasping the issues at hand.

Indeed and pretty much par for the course. Giving someone two or three 45-second, often-interrupted, slots to analyse a hugely complex issue rarely produces much food for thought.

Comment

I don't understand this one at all. There's no incentive for or pressure on anyone to switch their vote.

Comment

The best that I can do is that she hopes it will detract attention from and perhaps quiet the constant calls from within her party to announce her departure date. See also the fantasy of the UK being out by the summer recess, from which the 3 June date appears to have been derived.

Comment

There's also the question of how it gets permission from The Speaker to go forward. One would hope he'd kick into touch ASAP.

Comment

Not a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
              Michelle Dewberry the ex Chelsea stopper?
              I read that as, "ex Chelsea stripper".

Comment

That's Clive 'Flasher' Walker

Comment

http://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1129472853928271877

Comment

That would be interesting, in terms of seats.

Comment

The projections that I've seen, with all parties standing in all constituencies, indicate a Labour majority government. But if the Brexit Party only stood in seats where the sitting MP, or prospective candidate for the party which held the seat at the previous election, was a Remainer, the outcome could be a lot different.

Comment

Yeah - I think the snapshot is exactly that, as it goes, and seat projections from it are intriguing but meaningless.

Your point is a good one, if there were to be an election soon / in the current climate.

Comment

Interesting cropping of the ballot paper for an illustrative image from the BBC- with a handy pen to underline the message

https://twitter.com/cliodiaspora/status/1129509068228505600

Comment

Also note the brexit party logo functioning as a pointer on the ballot -which should have been found unacceptable IMO

Comment

Can any Labour Party members tell me how Starmer is regarded in the party at the moment? Is he seen to have handled the Brexit negotiations well? Is he seen as a possible future party leader?

Comment

Not a Labour member obv, but I think I saw something recently related to next leader polling and a Starmer/Thornberry dream ticket being favourite.

Comment

Is that Starmer as leader and Thornberry as deputy?

I think he comes over very well but assumed that he wouldn't be Left enough for the membership to want him to succeed Corbyn. But then again I don't really know where he sits on the political spectrum.

Comment

He’s quite right wing but I think he’s hugely respected for his discipline unlike so many of the old guard.

Comment

So, he would be acceptable to Momentum? Who's the leading candidate on the Left to succeed Corbyn?

Comment

I'd say David Lammy, but you know.

Comment

I thought that Lammy was more towards the centre of the party. Lewis's popularity seems to be on the wane, but how about Long-Bailey or Rayner?

Comment

Think there’s a mutual respect between Starmer & John McDonnell & Jon Lansman. Lammy is a bit of a lightweight, strong on rhetoric, but I’m not sure he has the gravitas
                                            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 18-05-2019, 15:01.

Comment

http://twitter.com/ProfTimBale/status/1129752480101928960

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Comment

I still don't see how even an ardent No Deal PM gets such a policy through the Commons. There's nothing like a majority for it.

Comment

They don't have to get it through the Commons. It will happen by default, unless the Government seeks a further extension.

Comment

But the Commons would vote to mandate the Government to do just that and the EU would allow it until the point came that that was their preferred outcome.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X