No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a bit of discussion today around when the Government will end the current parliamentary session, and there's just been a point of order raised in the Commons about it, namely whether it is true that they are seeking to run it to October 31st. The significance being that the confidence and supply arrangement expires at the end of the session and needs to be renewed for a new session.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ

Oh Christ, I can see and hear the awful, twee, Halloween-themed graphics that fucking Newsnight and every other British news outlet are going to use for that now.
      It's already started, and will be the main theme of tomorrow's front pages, given last night's announcement of the new date was too late for the papers.

Comment

Tangentially, visual metaphors are a real bugbear of mine. I don't mind the odd one, but news reports, particularly Brexit news reports, are absolutely addicted to them. We have have weather themed openings or endings ("stormy," "sunny, "damp" etc.), the ones hung onto the activities of a nearby pigeon/squirrel/cat etc. caught on camera, costumes of protesters, passing traffic and on and on and on.

"It was another stormy day in Parliament (shot of dark clouds overhead) as MPs scurried around the corridors of the Palace of Westminster (shot of squirrels in Victoria Tower Gardens) in the wake of the latest news from Brussels. Confidence might be in short supply inside Parliament (shot of woman with "Leave Now - Set Britain Free!" placard) but in the world outside...

Does my head in!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          This should become as normal as calling Neil Warnock Colin Wanker

https://twitter.com/NoRemainNoGain/status/1116046872660140032?s=19
          Is Mark Franco?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            Tangentially, visual metaphors are a real bugbear of mine. I don't mind the odd one, but news reports, particularly Brexit news reports, are absolutely addicted to them. We have have weather themed openings or endings ("stormy," "sunny, "damp" etc.), the ones hung onto the activities of a nearby pigeon/squirrel/cat etc. caught on camera, costumes of protesters, passing traffic and on and on and on.

"It was another stormy day in Parliament (shot of dark clouds overhead) as MPs scurried around the corridors of the Palace of Westminster (shot of squirrels in Victoria Tower Gardens) in the wake of the latest news from Brussels. Confidence might be in short supply inside Parliament (shot of woman with "Leave Now - Set Britain Free!" placard) but in the world outside...

Does my head in!
            On another tangent there's probably a whole thread's worth of TV news clichés but for a long time it pretty much directed itself - balance of payments figures released = footage of container ships being loaded or unloaded at a port; unemployment figures released = a footage of an actual dole queue, and someone browsing the cards on a job centre display; inflation figures released = footage of a shopper putting a basket on a supermarket checkout. They probably still do these, apart from the balance of payments, as we seem to have stopped caring about that (it used to swing elections, or so they reckon).

Anyway, back on topic, May's responses to MP's questions on the delay really are becoming a stuck record. They just need to vote for her deal apparently. We really do have another six months of purgatory.

Comment

This should link to a Brooker thing on the news.

https://youtu.be/aHun58mz3vI

Comment

I got my new passport today, and it is sans EU.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/drmkuisma/status/1116260169145565184?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Nige was given a 10 minute breaking news story by the BBC for the launch of his Racist Party. Sorry, Brexit Party. Same difference.

Comment

I was quite surprised to discover that a guy I knew fairly well at college is currently a Brexit Party MEP!

Comment

Not Bill 'Ignorant' Etheridge? Good to see the big man back. At the 2014 count, I had a nice chat with his Mum, who handed round a tin of buns topped with lurid purple-yellow icing. After a couple of E(U) numbers we were running around like hyperactive toddlers

Comment

Haha! No, not him, though I've seen him a few times on TV. Very Black Country!

Comment

So, um, has parliament actually passed whatever needs passing to extend the deadline to 31st Oct? Because last time it wasn't as automatic as the EU offering it and then it was law. Not that it's likely to fail, there were only 60-pdd votes against the extension to today, but, you know...

Comment

I was wondering about that too. From what I recall, the Cooper amendment theoretically means the extension term needs to be approved, doesn't it. I think the government said they could change the exit date without parliament, but that's a separate issue.

Comment

The Cooper bill was amended in the Lords to give the PM the power to accept any offered extension and it appears that she has done that.

Comment

Parliament doesn't sit on Fridays, does it? So it's already shut for Easter. In which case, if there is something not done that needed to be, Britain could be under 10 hours from an accidental (on purpose?) No Deal exit.

However, this implies that the Cooper bill is sufficient to make the new extension law.
                                  Last edited by Janik; 12-04-2019, 13:26. Reason: took too long to press Reply and ursus had answered it

Comment

I think it would already have plunged the UK into chaos. The date as I understood it was April 11/12 (meaning midnight last night in Brussels, 11pm in the UK, and 1am in these here remoter corners of Europe)

Comment

The BBC. After an MP was murdered, credible far right murder plot against another was recently iuncovered and the Finsbury Park Mosque killer had made threats against Jeremy Corbyn the state broadcaster appears to find nothing unproblematic about inviting the leader of a New Party on the air to make threats against MP's and retweeting them without editorial intervention or commentary.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1116646709138870274

Comment

Dear Spectator, drop the Paddy shit, yours, the Irish ambassador.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                          The BBC. After an MP was murdered, credible far right murder plot against another was recently iuncovered and the Finsbury Park Mosque killer had made threats against Jeremy Corbyn the state broadcaster appears to find nothing unproblematic about inviting the leader of a New Party on the air to make threats against MP's and retweeting them without editorial intervention or commentary.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1116646709138870274
                                          Fire the fucking lot of them into the sun. I mean, for fuck's fucking sake.

Comment

He'd have been better ignoring them (as ever). Accusing them of snides is like chiding you for disliking Mourinho or my love of terrible puns.

The only demographic benefitting from the Brit Commonwealth is paperweight boxers from West Belfast, who get to beat up Micronesian guys of a generally lower standard than they meet representing Ireland in the Euro Championships

Comment

Paperweight?

And unsure why any ambassador would let bad manners which are a slur against their country off?
                                              It's their job.

Comment

Nah. You've got to say something at some point. The Spectator is a rag that likes to pretend that it is serious. The thing is always letting things slide, and not saying anything hasn't got us anywhere in the past, and to be honest, it just enables the UK political bubble to forget that we're actually more than an abstract concept.

Comment

If the Spec, Torygraph etc are increasingly comical (agreed) that's more of a reason to swerve them. Rather than protesting in the vain hope they'll wise up. Partic in response to that article- author seems like an overeducated simpleton even by their standards

Comment

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past, etc ...

http://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1118480874893381632

Comment

Working...
                                                    X