No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The impasse cannot be allowed to continue" says May, as she asks to be allowed to continue the impasse.

Comment

This is garbage:

She said if cross-party talks with the Labour Party could not establish "a single unified approach" in the UK Parliament - MPs would be asked to vote on a series of options instead which the government "stands ready to abide by".
      Those options were put forward twice before and the government did not support them.

If I were France, I'd pull the plug on April 12 to end uncertainty about what happens next. I realize that fucks Ireland but Europe can't just continue in limbo while May kicks the can further down the road every fortnight.

Comment

Robert Peston's series of tweets from an hour or so ago indicate how this 30 June request is a really bad faith move by May, designed to pressurise Corbyn and shift the blame for any further delay on to Labour. The move is also manifestly against the national interest, increasing the risk of no deal by further exasperating the EU and making a mockery of our democratic process by providing for an election campaign (European) in the UK which could be - indeed which is intended to be - cancelled at the last minute. See also some excellent critique on Ian Dunt's Twitter feed.

Truly she is in a class of her own as the UK's worst ever Prime Minister, bar absolutely none going back to Walpole.

Comment

Haven't the EU already specifically rejected the date of June 30th?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            Haven't the EU already specifically rejected the date of June 30th?
            Pretty much yeah, there is that talk of "Flextension" but this could just be May asking something she knows will be rejected and then blame the EU for being bullied into either going for No Deal or accept a year long extension...

JRM petulant reaction was quite comical and a bit of a self-own, after spending years saying how enslaved and impotent the UK was in the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
              Robert Peston's series of tweets from an hour or so ago indicate how this 30 June request is a really bad faith move by May, designed to pressurise Corbyn and shift the blame for any further delay on to Labour. The move is also manifestly against the national interest, increasing the risk of no deal by further exasperating the EU and making a mockery of our democratic process by providing for an election campaign (European) in the UK which could be - indeed which is intended to be - cancelled at the last minute. See also some excellent critique on Ian Dunt's Twitter feed.

Truly she is in a class of her own as the UK's worst ever Prime Minister, bar absolutely none going back to Walpole.
              She must know that there is no way the EU are just going to leave the UK's participation in the Euro elections hanging in the air, which is why they ruled out June 30th last time. But she can't commit to the Euro elections unless she's absolutely desperate because she knows the party will be bitterly divided in the campaign and there will be massive anti-Tory swings, creating more momentum for a General Election.

And most reports suggest she's offering nothing of substance in negotiations with Corbyn, whom I suspect is only continuing with them because he doesn't want to get blamed for them failing. Which also suggests that her promise to back the winning indicative vote is also a lie, otherwise she'd have agreed on CU or Common Market 2 by now.

Which leads me to believe she's been resigned to April 12 No Deal exit for quite some time (since the summit infact) and that this is all about how to deflect blame.

It also beggars belief that she had a 7 hour Cabinet meeting on Monday and yet here she is on Friday just as clueless as before it. She's lying to her own Cabinet and playing all sides of the party against each other just to keep her legacy as "the PM who delivered Brexit (sort of) on time."

With regard to a year's extension, her stance up to now has always been to prefer No Deal to a year's extension and I don't see why or how that would change.

[Crosspost with Moonlight Shadow, with whom I concur 100%].
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-04-2019, 11:39.

Comment

Gah, I should have checked back to see if someone posted it already, but this thread is too depressing for that sort of carry on.

Comment

Hunt seems to understand that the chances of this gambit working are very small and that the choices are a long extension or no deal.

The EU 27 should kill this (again) now, rather than give the media a weekend to blame everything on Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

I like the idea that because George I spoke no English for some time, and Walpole no German, the two of them conversed in Latin.

Comment

I wouldn't say bar none, Cameron started this clusterfuck and immediately high tailed it to the south of France.

Comment

Indeed. You could say he might have made a marginally less bad fist of clearing up the mess, but he did shit the bed in the first place. And – with a cowardice befitting so many of his background who just glide, responsibility-free and unscathed, through life – then ran away when it all got too smelly.

Also, he was an unrepentant class warrior who barely even bothered with the pretence of caring about the people whose lives his economic dogma was ruining.

Comment

How easily people forget Thatcher. Not sure of her own particular redeeming characteristics.

Comment

Thatcher was an effective PM on her own terms. Cameron and (especially May) don't even qualify on that score. Plenty of other competition that shouldn't be ruled out though. Chamberlain? Eden? Lord North?

Comment

Isn't "Flextension" just extension? Britain could have left the EU 20 months ago if May had actually tried to negotiate a proper withdrawal agreement and sell it to her party. There's nothing that says Britain has to wait until the deadline before making a move.

Comment

Quite. Indeed I think I predicted a bit of flim-flammery along these lines somewhere up thread...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Hunt seems to understand that the chances of this gambit working are very small and that the choices are a long extension or no deal.

The EU 27 should kill this (again) now, rather than give the media a weekend to blame everything on Labour.
                                  France seems to have killed it

I am somewhat surprised that a No Deal exit this month is 9/1 against at William Hills. I'd be on that if I were allowed by Mrs Distel.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll take that up, actually.

Comment

Talks broken down. I know its the Labour version of events as they've got their brief out first, but sounds like May wouldn't budge an inch.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Banbury4Europe/status/1114063310163468288

Marvellous stuff.

Comment

Yup. Right on, Betty.

Comment

That is indeed magnificent.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                              Talks broken down. I know its the Labour version of events as they've got their brief out first, but sounds like May wouldn't budge an inch.

It's pretty much down to May to let us know where she was willing to compromise otherwise it's pretty clear that she wasn't willing to compromise and this is just gamesmanship. Because we could reasonably assume that if she had had any issues she was going to compromise on, half the cabinet would have resigned. So, yeah, gamesmanship, unless she shows otherwise. The Labour version of events is pretty obviously true.

Comment

FWIW, this was being discussed on Newsnight. There was a consensus from the reporters and guests that both sides were taking them seriously but that the Maybot's inflexibility and unpreparedness to amend the political declaration was a huge sticking point. However, there's now movement on the Government side and it's being suggested that it could be changed. Labour, though, want any amended document enshrined in law but it's uncertain is that feasible.

Something like that anyway.

Comment

I don't know how you'd get "close alignment with the Single Market" into law, given that there's not really such a thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X