No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, Tina Street from Zulu Street in Nottingham, who was then married to Colin Street...

Comment

Woah

Theresa May’s appeal for a short Brexit extension has been rejected by Jean-Claude Juncker, who said that unless the withdrawal deal was passed within nine days the UK would crash out of the EU or have to sign up to a long delay.

Less than 24 hours after May had spelled out her new strategy from Downing Street, the European commission president dismissed her request for an extension of article 50 to 22 May.

Speaking to the European parliament, Juncker instead set an “ultimate deadline” of 12 April for the Commons to approve the withdrawal agreement.

“If it has not done so by then, no further short extension will be possible,” he said. “After 12 April, we risk jeopardising the European parliament elections, and so threaten the functioning of the European Union.”

Juncker said that at that point the UK would face a no-deal Brexit but that the EU would not “kick out” a member state, in a reference to the certain offer of a lengthy extension of article 50.

The EU27 is looking at an extension until at least the end of the year, with the most probable end date being the end of March 2020.

Comment

Oh goodie....anther full year of uncertainty, bad ideas and shoddy 'leadership'.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          Oh goodie....anther full year of uncertainty, bad ideas and shoddy 'leadership'.
          Are you suggesting there's a way we don't end up with a year of bad ideas and shoddy leadership?

Comment

It appears that if/when the current talks fail, there would then be AV ballots on the May deal, Corbyn's alternative, revocation of Article 50, and no deal - bringing finality to proceedings.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Are you suggesting there's a way we don't end up with a year of bad ideas and shoddy leadership?
              If we only get a year of bad ideas and shoddy leadership, that sounds wildly optimistic

Comment

Be a change after 2 years of Proddy leadership

Comment

Speaker, by convention, votes with Government to break a tied vote, so no indicative votes on Monday.

Comment

This reads to me very much as "funded by the same dirty money that Boris has been wallowing in".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...on-crosby-firm

Comment

Nick Boles has just put a cat amongst the BBC pigeons

[URL="https://twitter.com/TomLondon6/status/1113539786374037506"]https://twitter.com/TomLondon6/statu...39786374037506[/URL]

This piece about Gibb is revealing

A great friend was Andrew Neil, whose politics and political analysis he held in high regard. Gibb, his wife Liz and two daughters would holiday at Neil’s house in the south of France. Gibb travelled by train or car. “He is afraid of flying,” says a former colleague. “That’s why he never accompanies the PM on official trips.”

Comment

Finally onto third vote on Cooper bill.

Comment

I'm quite amazed that we had folk defending the BBC news and politics output on this thread and the spin off. They are fuckin brazen. Gibb, Sands, Humphreys, Dimbleby, Neil, Robinson, so many rotten hard right fucks in key positions. Or the "instructably impartial" Kuenssberg and the blairite dreary streak of piss Marr For Balance. Burn it down. Media City looks like Architectural Chernobyl anyways..
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 03-04-2019, 22:25.

Comment

Passes by one vote, 313-312.

Comment

I think it's a good thing that Cooper passed, right? I can't even tell any more.

I'm pleased to see Corbyn come away from meeting with May telling us that she's hardly moved. I was worried that he'd happily give away free movement in order to get his customs union.

Comment

It certainly can't hurt and has made the Brexiteers livid, so it can't be that bad

Comment

The Cooper bill is primary legislation, isn't it? So it's rather more than indicative votes or even the motion of the house against No Deal a couple of weeks back. The problem is that it contradicts other, pre-existing, primary legislation...

Comment

Its effectiveness (assuming it passes the Lords) is also completely dependent on the EU 27

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      I think it's a good thing that Cooper passed, right? I can't even tell any more.

I'm pleased to see Corbyn come away from meeting with May telling us that she's hardly moved. I was worried that he'd happily give away free movement in order to get his customs union.
                                      He doesn't want free movement.

https://labourlist.org/2019/04/labou...m-of-movement/

Comment

I was expecting that to do the displaying-the-headline thing that everyone else seems to get when they just copy in a URL on its own line. Anyway, it's a LabourList article called 'Labour confirms it wants to end freedom of movement'.

Comment

So what's going to happen today?

Comment

Has one of our congregation been busy overnight?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/n

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47789544

"Leave Means Leave" daubed onto causeway

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                              But one of Labour's "five demands" is a Customs Union, which logically entails freedom of movement, so I think the policy is contradictory.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

But one of Labour's "five demands" is a Customs Union, which logically entails freedom of movement, so I think the policy is contradictory.

I don't think that a CU does. That would be Single Market membership which, contradictorily, Labour wants to remains close to. Joining a/the Customs Union would affect the ability to negotiate independent trade deals though.
                                                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 04-04-2019, 10:09.

Comment

As TAB keeps pointing out, there's no such option as "being close to" or "aligned with" the SM. Those formulations are meaningless drivel. You're either in it, or outside with none of the benefits.

Gutting that Corbyn and many others in Labour are anti- FoM. That's why I cannot support Labour any time in the foreseeable future. But at least it's possible that the majority of Labour MPs will push successfully for a 2nd Ref if we manage to get a long A50 extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                    As TAB keeps pointing out, there's no such option as "being close to" or "aligned with" the SM. Those formulations are meaningless drivel. You're either in it, or outside with none of the benefits.

Indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X