No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But they didn't do anything. other than make sure that the labour party stayed well out of the way of stopping or hindering brexit. At no point have they offered a coherent opposition to anything. The Reason that Corbyn wasn't at this march is that as of now, four days before the UK was supposed to leave the EU, the Labour party position on brexit is still to try and force an election, and renegotiate a better Brexit that works for everyone, as though such a bullshit idea exists. Apparently as we enter the last week of March, the time to call for a second referendum to avoid an unnecessary economic war is not yet ripe. Maybe that conference motion should have been a bit more specific.

Comment

Can you imagine the furore if a member of the Labour party had made some ludicrous overblown invocation of Moses as Johnson has done this morning

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
        But they didn't do anything. other than make sure that the labour party stayed well out of the way of stopping or hindering brexit. At no point have they offered a coherent opposition to anything.
        The 2017 General Election didn't happen in your world, did it? The use of Parliament to drag May kicking and screaming to even having a vote didn't happen in your world, did it? The forcing of Davies to admit that his 58 impact statements didn't actually exist didn't happen in your world, did it?

The Reason that Corbyn wasn't at this march is that as of now, four days before the UK was supposed to leave the EU, the Labour party position on brexit is still to try and force an election, and renegotiate a better Brexit that works for everyone, as though such a bullshit idea exists.
        *looks at this sentence*
        *looks at the current state of the Government*
        *looks at this sentence again*

Do you want to go and reconsider this again?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          Can you imagine the furore if a member of the Labour party had made some ludicrous overblown invocation of Moses as Johnson has done this morning
          Corbyn is apparently personally responsible for not ridding the entire country of anti-semitism. The Tories have reinstated 15 councillors who had been suspended for Islamophobic remarks without comment. This is where we are right now.

Comment

Oh FFS. The British print media have been hugely and distortively biased against Labour for the whole of my lifetime and no doubt earlier (except for a brief love-in between part of the media and Blair's gang). This BBC are a lot worse than they used to be, but even that has been building up over several years. The whole media bias issue is really not particular topical. Brexit, on the other hand, really is.

Comment

I don’t quite follow: BBC bias is a lot worse than it used to be but thatÂ’s OK because itÂ’s been happening over a period of years ?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

The 2017 General Election didn't happen in your world, did it? The use of Parliament to drag May kicking and screaming to even having a vote didn't happen in your world, did it? The forcing of Davies to admit that his 58 impact statements didn't actually exist didn't happen in your world, did it?

*looks at this sentence*
                *looks at the current state of the Government*
                *looks at this sentence again*

Do you want to go and reconsider this again?
                What do these matter against having an official policy on brexit that is functionally identical to that of the government except instead of Bourgeois Bakewell tart, there will be proletarian Pie and Mash for everyone.

Comment

You mean the ones with the different red lines that have been welcomed by Michel Barnier?

Comment

But International Trade Secretary Liam Fox told the BBC that Parliament may want to look at a series of Brexit options, but they cannot be binding on the government.

"I'm answerable to my voters not to the House of Commons," he said.
                    Interesting stance for a minister to take...

Comment

There's a lot of that going around at the moment.

Comment

So much for a third MV

What a farce this is

Comment

I wish that I could figure out what the DUP's angle is.

Comment

You think that’s good, in her avoidance of saying anything she’s just said manifestos are now binding.

Comment

Indeed not only are they binding, but they allow you to ignore the votes of parliament. This is fascinating. We are witnessing the creation of a new school of political thought on the hoof.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                I wish that I could figure out what the DUP's angle is.
                                I doubt if the DUP know what it is either, other than cause chaos and "preserve the union ".

Comment

Well the only respectable cultural option for them is to keep marching towards the machine gun until half your skull gets shot off, or your intestines are dangling out of your stomach wound.

Comment

Last week: "Parliament will not tell me what they want"
                                    This week: "Parliament can hold indicative votes, but I don't have to accept it if I don't like it"

She's insane.

Comment

She’s backed by a media which is able to keep a march of a million people off the front pages and a state broadcaster which considers it acceptable to harass the Speaker of the House of Commons on the street.

Whats to stop her?

Comment

Can someone tell me what the benefits of the "Customs Union" position being pushed by Labour are? I assume it does nothing on the most important issue for me, which is free movement. Presumably it doesn't help with all those international cooperation things like Euratom or Erasmus. So, what does it offer that May's WA doesn't?

Comment

You avoid the humanitarian crisis caused by a collapse of the ports, until you run out of money to pay for food. ( You also avoid a lot of the problems with the Irish border.

BTW Labour's main reason for opposing may's deal is that it didn't include a customs union deal, which is a bit like sending back your starter because it doesn't have enough jelly and icecream.

Comment

They will have to drag May out kicking and screaming. She's the type who turns up for work the day after being fired as though nothing has happened.

This debate about what Labour could or should have done is all very well when she's showing that she won't even listen to her own party.

Comment

Jesus fuck, she didn't notice the problem with this?

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1110262557485527043

Comment

Wait a second.

They are calling themselves the Grand Wizards?

Comment

And everyone in the UK political bubble is fine with that apparently.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1110268913760260097[/URL]

Except for one keen eyed observer

Comment

Working...
                                                    X