The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    If this is confusing for the rest of us just think how befuddled Chris Grayling must be.
    I want to say last time we had some big Brexit votes Grayling walked into the wrong chamber and had to be asked "Er, are you *sure*?" before scurrying off.

Comment

Bollocks

Comment

Benn defeated by two votes (314-312).

Comment

Damn.

Comment

Those six Labour MPs who want May to stay in charge of the time table. What exactly is their purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
              Those six Labour MPs who want May to stay in charge of the time table. What exactly is their purpose?
              Old fart Lexiters and Kate Hoey.

Comment

Corbyn amendment defeated 318-302, now straight to the main motion.

Comment

Bryant withdraws his amendment?

Comment

Fantastic, wasn't it. Probably my Brexit highlight.

Comment

So, my understanding from the last two days of votes is as follows:

Parliament doesn't want to be in the EU
                      Parliament doesn't want to leave the EU with a deal
                      Parliament doesn't want to leave the EU without a deal
                      Parliament doesn't want to have a second referendum
                      Parliament doesn't want parliament to decide what parliament wants.
                      Parliament doesn't want to leave the EU when we're scheduled to leave the EU.

Comment

That's it then isn't it? The Dup and some of the erg will cave and May's going to squeeze her bloody deal through next Wednesday.

Comment

Yep, I think that's what will likely happen too.

Comment

Alternatively, the DUP and ERG could hold out for the Euro Elections and use those to keep the No Deal pressure going. The backstop is a huge thing for them and wouldn't be conceded lightly.

Comment

I concur with Logan and Jimski. I think by putting the time extension in place, they are kind of taking no deal off the table. At this point, the most Brexity Brexit possible seems to be through the May WA, which the ERG and DUP will eventually support. They'll despise May (even more than they already do) for making them back it, but I think that's where we end up.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                That's it then isn't it? The Dup and some of the erg will cave and May's going to squeeze her bloody deal through next Wednesday.
                                You sweet children of summer, how have you lived this long without realizing that some people can't be reasoned with? It makes more sense to think of these people as fascists than democratically elected politicians.

Comment

Likeliest scenario indeed, with a short extension to sort out the backlog...

Comment

May's deal passing isn't the worst. Nothing is then off the table re Soft Brexit, only revoking Article 50.

Comment

The Tories and their Jaffa enablers just need to be removed from power during the proper Grown Up negotiations. A June election after a signed withdrawal agreement/Tory civil war mightn't be the worst outcome. If Labour can win enough English seats, and hold their nose to work with the SNP, who in all likliehood will take all but a couple of Scottish seats back from SLab.

Comment

188 Tories rejected an extension:

http://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1106271386153172992

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

You sweet children of summer, how have you lived this long without realizing that some people can't be reasoned with? It makes more sense to think of these people as fascists than democratically elected politicians.
                                          Nah, they're awful, but I'm not sure they're stupid. They'll fear losing Brexit completely, so they'll bank it using this deal, and then play "disrupt" with the negotiations in the transition period.

Comment

My reading is the same as Jimski's. But it occurs to me that some of these lunatics are properly incapable of reasoned thought and immensely wedded to hard Brexit. For them, a WA-Brexit is not hard enough and a WA-Brexit is enshrined permanently. Therefore the only way to get a really really hard Brexit is to kill the WA. A really hard Brexit is technically possible even after revoking A50 but is not under the WA.

Comment

"Those six Labour MPs who want May to stay in charge of the time table"

That'll be Barron, Flint, Hoey, Mann, Stringer and ? one other. Utter, utter arseholes.

Comment

Flint is poison, being someway media friendly compared to the yahoos that make up the others.

Comment

The idea that the DUP is remotely capable of compromise or anything approaching a climbdown is laughable. Likewise certain members of the ERG. Let's remember: they know very well they don't need to agree anything to get what they want, they just need to prevent anything they don't want from being agreed.

Comment

The ultra yahoos that make up the DUP Westminster lot are the reason we have a U.K. wide backstop, they forced Eyebrows Arlene to reject the Dec 2017 compact that applied to NI only. So of course now a U.K. wide backstop is equally unpalatable. There is no reasoning with the likes of Sammy Fuckin Wilson or Dodds, Paisley Jr prob has a price above bigoted principles, but has likely been bought off by the other side already.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X