No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some 1922 committee shrill is saying if the deal is defeated tonight there will be a general election within "days or weeks". Suspect it would be the latter rather than the former, but if they want to do it this Thursday that's fine by me.

Comment

Rees-Mogg's historical references are generally as accurate and/or appropriate as Del Boy's conversational French.

Comment

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1105460060971511808]https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1105460060971511808

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status...60060971511808

Someone clearly has one or two series left to watch before the final series is aired.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
          Some 1922 committee shrill is saying if the deal is defeated tonight there will be a general election within "days or weeks". Suspect it would be the latter rather than the former, but if they want to do it this Thursday that's fine by me.
          Think he must mean will be called "Within days or weeks" . There has to be at least five weeks campaigning by law.

Comment

Very few of them have the slightest clue about how anything actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post

Think he must mean will be called "Within days or weeks" . There has to be at least five weeks campaigning by law.
              He did go on to say that, admittedly - someone quickly penciled in 25 April or 2 May as the earliest possible dates depending on when it would be called.

Comment

I've got to say that Star Chamber thing is extraordinary. either these people are completely unaware of the history of that phrase and need to be lead off to a home for the bewildered, or they do know the history of that phrase, in which case they need to be bricked up in a wall, a nice appropriately archaic punishment.

Comment

They're a mix of drinkers at either end of the spectrum. CAMRA Stella, ta...

Comment

A fair few Tories changing their mind. Will be a lot closer this time, but surely not going to win.

Comment

Latest missive from the 1690 Committee:

http://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1105470920825733120

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                        A fair few Tories changing their mind. Will be a lot closer this time, but surely not going to win.
                        http://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1105471645920182272

Comment

I can't help feeling even before I click the link that most of the replies will be Irish nationalists laughing at her.

Comment

Robert Peston predicting 150 vote defeat.

Clarification on earlier point, the talk about a third meaningful vote if tonight's is defeated by around 50 votes related to it coming back again tomorrow (unchanged), before the no deal vote. No surprises that this appears to have been put forward in cabinet by...... Chris Grayling.

Comment

I've got a Kids From Fame earworm now.

"Staaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr Chaaaaaaaaambererrrrrrr
                              Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee-maaaaaaiiiiiiiiinnnnnneeerrr"

Comment

May's voice is really not holding up well again today.

Comment

Whatever sane part of her brain is left is making a final effort to assert itself over the rest of her.

Comment

And still the BBC are running pieces from Laura headlined "Has May done enough?".

Currently 11 switchers confirmed. Meanwhile a Scottish Tory MP didn't get his application for a proxy in, and his wife has gone into labour (leave it). Don't know how he voted last time.

Comment

The crowd has thinned quite a bit in the Commons.

Bill Cash is spouting some endless, self aggrandising waffle. History will not absolve him.

On the bench behind, a tidily shorn Johnson lurks, presumably waiting to generate a soundbite to bolster his leadership campaign.

Comment

BBC reporters are using the 'Brexit may be lost' affectation, as if this pack of narcissistic flysplats are the noblest Romans foreshadowing the death of the Republic. Hopefully they'll cut forward to the warm baths and opened veins ahead of schedule.

Rees-Mogg has just mentioned his Lenten task to read the Book of Job, for anyone playing Brideshead Bingo. A quick search turns up an estimated reading time of an hour and forty five minutes, which isn't a huge imposition spread across 46 days. He's such a fraud.

Comment

Talking of frauds...

[URL]https://twitter.com/politicsjoe_uk/status/1098537821240000512?s=21[/URL]

Comment

So, the ERG seem to be pretty much taking their cue from the DUP when it comes to whether or not the backstop-related provisions of the WA are acceptable. But how do Nigel Dodds, Steve Baker and the rest of them see this eventually playing out?

Assuming that the view isn't better no Brexit than an imperfect deal, I presume that their main hope is that the EU moves again, either before 29th March or at some point during an extension to A50, if there is one. If that doesn't happen, I assume that their wild best-case scenario is a Conservative leadership election returning a Brexiteer prepared to fight their cause in Brussels and/or a General Election which returns a Conservative government with a majority and some sort of mandate to do the same.

Is that it or have I missed something? The sleepwalk into a No Deal exit will presumably be put paid to tomorrow. It's high stakes poker or a completely unrealistic GE strategy, isn't it?

Comment

Maybe it's a long term strategy - vote down the WA and get either no deal (unlikely) or some kind of second referendum or brexit with customs union, and then present themselves as the true representatives of the cheated 52%?

Actually no, that's what I suspect ERG are doing. the DUP, I have no idea. They seem to be hastening a united Ireland with every move

Comment

Nige likely thinks his retirement will be long enough past to avoid blame when a United Ireland happens

Comment

A number of the ERG are likely most influenced by the bets that they and their hedgie mates have made on sterling, while others appear to care more about having Johnson as leader than anything else.

Of course, being short sterling and pro-Boris is a self-reinforcing position.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                    Nige likely thinks his retirement will be long enough past to avoid blame when a United Ireland happens
                                                    Wait until Sinn Fein raise a statue to the Brave 10 MPs who have done so much to put a united Ireland back on the agenda.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X