The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    NS, it would be easier to respond to posts like that if you put the gun down
    I met Sergei on a few occasions last summer and found him to be a private character who did not, even under the circumstances then prevailing, wish to draw attention to himself.

Comment

They don't ever ever ever seriously engage with the facts. They mightn't be John Cuntin Humphreys on the Today programme but there is always an element of Team Britain in the analysis, the bullshit pernicious Both Sides Balance drowning out any cogent thought, any reality based analysis (or attempt to really understand the EU position) drowned out as Cassandra moaning. I'm sure most of em are remainers, that makes the piss poor job of their presentation even worse.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-03-2019, 23:30.

Comment

Maitlis: <occasionally interrupts Rees-Mogg from his mastubatory fantasy but doesn't actually challenge him on any point>

Maitlis: <references "Canada Plus" which doesn't fucking exist>

The idea that Newsnight and the BBC, even with their remainer presenters, are opposing this shitshow in any meaningful manner is absolutely ludicrous.

Comment

If there is any civilisation left to write the history of this shitshow in twenty years, the bbc will be shown as culpable as fuckin Cameron for the Brexit stramash. Nick Griffin on QT bein ground zero.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-03-2019, 23:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

Eh? Henry VIII may have told the Bishop of Rome to do one for political reasons, but he remained a Catholic, even if there was a slide away from the mysticism.
            Well, He got his divorce, but he did also extort the fuck out of the clergy, take over the collection of religious taxation, and then looted the monasteries to pay himself and his buddies off. If you wanted an example of the proud British traditions of sanctifying the departing from the European mainstream over a minor internal kerfuffle that turns into a looting campaign by the ruling elite, then you couldn't do better than turn up at an anglican do. See I can respect methodists and presbyterians, those are proper unhinged oldschool celts who are into the magic and hellfire and self mortification that celts have always been into. Those lads were into it because there just wasn't enough suffering in catholicism. II can't help feel that they were impatient and lacked imagination, but i admire their moxie. They're into eternal hellfire, and not being interested in what anyone else has to say, and thinking they can talk directly to god. They're not into rich cunts getting divorces or giving up on latin because they don't like foreign languages.

It's basically one step above mormonism or scientology in religious street cred, in that the foundation myth is well known, recent and utterly hilarious.

Comment

But Scotch/Ulster fry Presbyter madness and the teetotal fuckedupfrenzy of Welsh Methodism have their root in That bastard Calvin's Geneva, via the Netherlands and rich Fife merchants trade with them Low Country bastards/later Wesley madness. Explain the Northwest Europe/Alpine perversion through Celtic Ethnocentrism, Berba (and don't give me any Helvetian/Batavian nonsense).
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-03-2019, 23:45.

Comment

Also Knoxian Calvinism (but still with Bishops so not full on Presbyterian garment chewers) only prevailed in Scotland through the machinations of the English Secret Service.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-03-2019, 23:47.

Comment

I think it’s well established that OTF’s ideal BBC reporter is someone with an obsessive knowledge of politics and simultaneously no interest in politics whatsoever. It is possible that some correspondents will fall short of this ideal.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/spiegelpeter/status/1105248056377831424?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Will be amazed if such a non fudge survives till morning.

Comment

It’s pointless trying to placate the ERG. Major got that 25 years ago. They’re like Trots, every concession is a step towards a fresh demand.

Comment

Presumably if Britain withdraws from the WA, it goes straight into No Deal territory and loses all access the European markets and totally fucks the economy all over again?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            But Scotch/Ulster fry Presbyter madness and the teetotal fuckedupfrenzy of Welsh Methodism have their root in That bastard Calvin's Geneva, via the Netherlands and rich Fife merchants trade with them Low Country bastards/later Wesley madness. Explain the Northwest Europe/Alpine perversion through Celtic Ethnocentrism, Berba (and don't give me any Helvetian/Batavian nonsense).
                            They didn't invent it, anymore than we invented hyper-extreme catholicism. (these are not imaginative people) but they liked it. And while they might have got it from somewhere else, they didn't have to listen to those people. it's a win win. I mean whatever else about Ian Paisley, you've got to respect someone being thrown out of the european parliament for calling the pope the anti-christ You've got to respect someone who commits to the old ways like that.

Comment

You’d kind of assume that any sort of no deal - whether in three weeks time, three months time or three years time - lasts for a fortnight tops of chaos before we eat shit and climb down. But who knows?

Comment

I must admit that connection between Emily Maitlis briefly referring to "Canada Plus" and a discussion about how Newsnight gives the ERG an easy ride has passed me by.

Comment

If May turned around in the morning and authorised public inquiry investigations into the sources of funding for ERG/IEA/Orange Bampots' Metro Ad/whoever is making Arron Banks look a rich man through barely existing Lesotho goldmines I'd have a tiny bit of respect for her. Though the fact a former Scots Tory candidate/professional dodgy bastard friend of Arab states and fraudulent enterprises was the fucker who funneled the cash to the DUP for their mahoosive "mainland" only Metro ad campaign makes this unlikely.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-03-2019, 00:09.

Comment

Sounds like some of the hard Brexiteers in the Tory Party are now prepared to vote in favour of the deal with others still adamantly opposed, which is where the Flints and Fitzpatricks might come into play.

Comment

Oh good. Legitimate concerns Flint.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                        The idea that Newsnight and the BBC, even with their remainer presenters, are opposing this shitshow in any meaningful manner is absolutely ludicrous.
                                        They're not supposed to oppose it! They're suppose to facilitate a balanced examination and discussion!
                                        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 12-03-2019, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

They're not supposed to oppose it! They're suppose to facilitate a ballanced examination and discussion!
                                          The question is whether balanced means giving equal time to something you know to be a lie. This is also the problem with their climate change/Palestine/Trump coverage.

Comment

Oh good. Legitimate concerns Flint.
                                            I think she prefers the moniker of Member of Parliament for Don Valley.

Comment

Good for her. I find her repulsive.

Comment

The question is whether balanced means giving equal time to something you know to be a lie. This is also the problem with their climate change/Palestine/Trump coverage.
                                                Come on, mate. That's just raging bias. A referendum split the nation's vote. Of course both sides deserve equal treatment.

Comment

Good for her. I find her repulsive.
                                                  Fine. However, as an MP she'll be attempting to recognise and represent her constituents views.

Comment

2 constituent parts of that nation voted to remain. And BBC Scotland certainly don't give 2 thirds of their time to remain views, or indeed any serious analysis of how May's preferred Brexit will destroy Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X