No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And again, I don't see how you square your "Tories don't give a shit about anything but power and screwing the poor" with "all that is required for a cross party alliance is Corbyn to lead it".

Comment

I'm not necessarily demanding he leads it. He just has to stop opposing it. He can remain as mute and inert as he fucking likes. It would be mental if he were to start pushing it on any other grounds than "This is the only way out of this shit fest."

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

That would be the Labour Brexit unicorn that we are constantly being told doesn’t exist, right?
        It is understood that one solution discussed by senior officials would be for the backstop to be downgraded to be Northern Ireland specific, as was originally proposed by the EU, should there be a commitment from the British government to negotiate a permanent customs union with the whole of the UK.

This is not what Labour want. Labour want the customs union to be in this agreement. That's not on offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

That would be the Labour Brexit unicorn that we are constantly being told doesn’t exist, right?
          No, the unicorn is making a customs union conditional on joint decision making over trade deals, and linking the "relationship with the single market" to freedom of movement.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            I'm not necessarily demanding he leads it. He just has to stop opposing it. He can remain as mute and inert as he fucking likes.
            But that's exactly what he is doing.

Comment

He isn't. He and his close associates keep popping up with stuff pouring water on a referendum. I don't think this means all that much difference though now.

Comment

Sure some associates are more sceptical than others, but some are more positive than others, notably McDonnell. Again, it's about trying to walk the tightrope of avoid antagonising Brexiters while keeping Remainers onside. The policy remains the same, that a referendum isn't ruled out.

Comment

Well that's going to be a neat trick to sustain. It sounds like a perfectly sensible path forward to me and not like an episode of Father Ted. Why not try to explain to the brexiteers that this is going to be the end of their world. It's hard to see how the UK is going to be able to keep its absurd pension escalator, or NHS if they leave the customs union.

Comment

Corbyn wouldn't even say whether Labour would support Remain in a referendum last month. That's a bit more than sceptical. That's him personally putting another barrier in the way.

Comment

It's very difficult to sustain of course. Almost as difficult to sustain as the Tories pretending to be the party of sound governance and economic competence while havering between shooting the country in the foot and the head. Labour just need to hope that the Tories implode first. There are plenty of people out there telling Brexiters about how terrible it's going to be. I honestly don't think the Labour front bench doing the same thing is going to help. They have (with the sole exception of Williamson, I think) been telling everyone that No Deal will be bloody awful, but it doesn't seem to have shaken support for no deal. These people aren't listening, and telling people they are wrong and stupid or foolish dupes has never been a strong persuasion tool.

Comment

Hmm, on its own I can see why you might wish to avoid being tied down to a hypothetical about a hypothetical, but it's only a hypothetical about a hypothetical because the Labour party still clings to its bullshit position.

Comment

The Tories don’t really have to sustain anything. Their new leader will be offered up as a change candidate.

Comment

Why not try to explain to the brexiteers that this is going to be the end of their world. It's hard to see how the UK is going to be able to keep its absurd pension escalator, or NHS if they leave the customs union.
                            Because they don't care or don't believe it. Experts and project fear, innit? There's genuinely no talking to the fuckers. Believe me, I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                              The Tories don’t really have to sustain anything. Their new leader will be offered up as a change candidate.
                              Yeah, so was Iain Duncan Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Because they don't care or don't believe it. Experts and project fear, innit? There's genuinely no talking to the fuckers. Believe me, I've tried.
                                well you can only try. Some will understand, and go along with you, particularly if you point out that they're blaming the EU for the actions of the tories, Sure some of them aren't going to be convinced, and they may never vote for you again, and you just have to have the bravery to say fuck them. Any broad church party with people who think like this is only going to be a coalition of shit.

Most people just want this bullshit to stop, and the only way for it to ever end is a referendum that results in staying. Sure it might be hell for six months, but then it would be over. The govt will be able to do something other than cunt on pointlessly about brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post

Yeah, so was Iain Duncan Smith.
                                  then they realised that there was things in their fridge with more intelligence and awareness than him, and they decided that even Michael fucking howard was a better bet.

Comment

Sure, I just wanted it clear that a change doesn't necessarily produce a good result for the Tories. They were perilously close to getting Leadsom last time.

Comment

You can't beat a bit of martial law during a no-deal Brexit:

http://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1089282356475760640/photo/1

Comment

Eh!

Comment

I think he meant to link to the second tweet in the feed.

https://twitter.com/alanbell_libsol/status/1089299646881636354

Comment

Ah. Thanks.

All nonsense, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              Well what is the reality based alternative other than simply voting for the withdrawal agreement. There is going to come a point in the next couple of weeks where the UK is going to have to shit or get off the pot. it is either going to have to a) embrace Hard Brexit and embark on a humiliating and destructive economic war. B) Accept Theresa May's deal or c) accept that parliament isn't going to be able to resolve this situation and put the matter to the people, in a less embarrassingly open ended referendum.

If Labour don't change their position, that third option isn't even going to be on the table. That safe option of kicking to touch isn't going to be there any more.
                                              Your first-paragraph analysis is correct. That's where we're heading. That's where we've been heading since conference. That's part of the strategy, that Labour pivot to c) - but it can only happen in the next few weeks, it couldn't have happened before.

Comment

There has to be a vote to extend article 50 before c) can happen and I don't think such a vote can happen unless it's forced. May won't volunteer it, obviously.

The vote also has to happen with sufficient time left for the 27 to all agree to it. One dissenting member and it's off the table.

Comment

Yeah, but in that case the government can revoke unilaterally. Ultimately it depends on whether May genuinely is willing to go "no deal". I don't think she is, but I'm far from comfortable in that. If she is, then it's a question of whether the sane Tories blink and unseat her (through supporting a VONC) or whether the Labour sensibles blink and vote for her deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                                    Yeah, but in that case the government can revoke unilaterally. Ultimately it depends on whether May genuinely is willing to go "no deal". I don't think she is, but I'm far from comfortable in that. If she is, then it's a question of whether the sane Tories blink and unseat her (through supporting a VONC) or whether the Labour sensibles blink and vote for her deal.
                                                    I am convinced she is willing to go "No deal". She is stubborn and single-minded beyond all rationality and she sees delivering on the referendum result as her entire existence. We've seen time and time again for the past half-decade that she is willing to ignore reality and plough onwards (the post-election going to Buckingham Palace and straight out lying to the monarch and the subsequent fallout has be much underreported) as it what she thought would happen actually happened. She's more determined than even the ERG. I'm not sure what kind of -path she is, but she is it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X