Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Plan B was Plan A with less time on the clock

Comment

I'd love some reports from Football fan sites on how they see Brexit. In Oxford, a solidly remain area with BMW one major employer and the Universities being two others, there are lots of "gungho for no deal posts "

'For what it is worth, MPs accepted Hard Brexit was on the cards when they triggered Article 50. If they didn't believe it, they should have been better informed.

Interesting to see Poland's Foreign Ministers comments about a 5 year time limit on the back stop"

and

"So basically Mrs May’s plan B is near enough the same as the original plan.

Great No deal looking better by the day. I’m all for it!"

Is this repeated across the country?

Comment

It's dismal, and you have to wonder what thought processes are leading to these decisions and speeches (other than the desire to get through another day, of course). She's had the biggest parliamentary defeat of any PM and she's pretending it hasn't happened and that she can bring back essentially the same deal and no one is going to notice. The latest wheeze (apart from the headline grabbing £65) is that she'll consult more widely in the second phase, including people from outside Parliament, which isn't going to improve the mood of the MPs.

Pace seems to be gathering on the Cooper/Grieve amendment, but even that gives her another month of "seeking assurances on the backstop" and all the other nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
          I'd love some reports from Football fan sites on how they see Brexit. In Oxford, a solidly remain area with BMW one major employer and the Universities being two others, there are lots of "gungho for no deal posts "

'For what it is worth, MPs accepted Hard Brexit was on the cards when they triggered Article 50. If they didn't believe it, they should have been better informed.

Interesting to see Poland's Foreign Ministers comments about a 5 year time limit on the back stop"

and

Previous reply was to the thread in general, but the report from Carlisle is that our message board is consistent with that - lots of No Deal rhetoric, someone posting countdown to 29 March updates, and a fair bit of anti SNP stuff.

Comment

Pretty much to date, Nef.

Football fans, sadly, aren't noted for their profound political insights. In the main.

Also, pity Ireland going to be having the North dumped on them, when Britain'll no longer subsidise that particular economic black hole.

Comment

I see a fair few such comments under Brexit related article in my local paper.

I just wonder what level of consequences these people are ready to accept from a No Deal until they finally admit they made a terrible choice. I fear a No Deal situation will be needed to kill off this vituperative, boneheaded strain of 'rebel' behaviour that seems so pervasive...

Comment

It's a shot a ball from the mad Brexiters at the moment.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1087399010946695168

Comment

You all keep assuming that these people will accept that it was down to them making a mistake, when History teaches us that they will simply blame the EU and remainers.

Comment

My mistake, it's more than a shot a ball.

https://twitter.com/Econs4FreeTrade/status/1087392403676413952

Comment

Not-so-crypto populist, Matthew Goodwin, strikes again:

http://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1087353792629276673

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                        Amendment from Labour giving options to avoid No Deal. Referendum is one of them. Other sounds like Norway Plus, albeit with "string Single Market deal" spoiling the effect.

Much better.
                        The one caveat is that it reads "with the single market" , rather than "in the single market", making it incompatible with an EEA solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

The one caveat is that it reads "with the single market" , rather than "in the single market", making it incompatible with an EEA solution.
                          I'm reading that as "we haven't told you yet but we'll be doing freedom of movement". Or "sorry, the EU have knocked that back, it's referendum time". Wish it were 6 months ago, but I'm encouraged.

Comment

Ardent Brexiters will carry on blaming anybody but themselves but under a No Deal situation but i wonder how many of them they really will be left when the situation goes bad.

I just don't see any kind of positive outcome whatever steps are taken.

Comment

When Goodwin's finished with the amateur psychology, what's his Irish border solution?

Comment

Labour tables an amendment

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1087468098104508416

Comment

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1087473106673897472

Comment

it's still nonsense. The EU is perfectly prepared to discuss all of those things. But only after you pass the withdrawal agreement. And not before.

Comment

A not very positive assessment.

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1087447258386386945

Comment

and

I don't think your typical club message board reflects a broad cross-section of the nation as a whole. They tend to be far more gammon flavoured.
                                        The Tamworth message board seems to be towards the right, and the Twitter pages of some of the posters carry helpful hints such as retweets of Farage and Morgan, Union Jacks and profile text saying stuff like British and proud and no surrender.

Comment

Tamworth gammon looks so cute though.

Comment

A political heavyweight writes.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1087473624884355073

They're voting for Grieve/Cooper, aren't they? Which would count as rebelling in my book. Aaron will be confused if Corbyn backs that too- he's keeping cards close to chest on that, quite rightly.

Comment

Third time today the Brexit fantasists have charged down the wicket and missed the ball.

https://twitter.com/SpecCoffeeHouse/status/1087354499335897091

Comment

Looks like now we need an extreme event to trigger a change of direction.

This looks to be hopefully, no more than 2-3 months post-Brexit, I just pray not too many people suffer in the interim.
                                                Or even die. Grim all round.

Comment

and

A Doncaster fan site had a vote. A small sample size (107 respondents), but better than I might have expected:

2nd Referendum (possibility to overturn Brexit): 53.7%

Hard Brexit: 24.1%

No deal Brexit: 11.1%

PM's Deal: 8.3%

Anything else Brexit: 2.8%

Comment

The main Burnley fan board was - perhaps unsurprisingly - a Kipper cesspit before the referendum. You can imagine what it is now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X