No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(to Dogbeak): I think Patrick was referring to the "immediately outside the front door" part, rather than the "addiction" part.

Comment

Business confidence now at -12.3.

Not sure who did the survey but it's the worst in nearly a decade. The graph I saw only goes back to Q4 2012, no golden age, where it was slightly positive.

Comment

Not A Racist academic Matthew Goodwin now on Newsnight. Fuck sake, ask him about his pal Bannon and his dog whistling Bloody Immigrants spiked infested conference set up post meeting you useless Sensible fuck Matlis. This is not an honest actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          Not A Racist academic Matthew Goodwin now on Newsnight. Fuck sake, ask him about his pal Bannon and his dog whistling Bloody Immigrants spiked infested conference set up post meeting you useless Sensible fuck Matlis. This is not an honest actor.
          Agree 1000%.

Seems very easy for an academic with connections to bannon to get on the BBC these days.

Comment

Goodwin is awful. In other news.

Theresa May will be within 20 votes of winning a parliamentary majority for her Brexit deal if she can gain assurances from the EU that will persuade the Democratic Unionist party to back her deal, senior ministers and Tory MPs believe.

One cabinet minister said they believed the success of the prime minister’s deal hinged entirely on a last bid to win round the DUP. Another MP said they saw the Northern Irish party as the “British standard” who would give them the reassurance they needed to fall in behind.
            "Good enough for the DUP, good enough for us".

Jesus.

Comment

As well the EU will ignore the stupid fuck then.

Comment

Theresa May will be within 20 votes of winning a parliamentary majority for her Brexit deal if she can gain assurances from the EU that will persuade the Democratic Unionist party to back her deal, senior ministers and Tory MPs believe.
                This is the weirdest spin I've ever seen. "Even if something that obviously won't happen happens, she'll still lose. Her success hinges on this!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                  Goodwin is awful. In other news.

"Good enough for the DUP, good enough for us".

Jesus.
                  Hmm, On the One hand the DUP are pretty crazy, and really aren't keen on changing their mind and reckon that they are this close to wiping out the good Friday agreement. But on the other hand the Farming union and pretty much the entirety of the unionist business community is screaming at them to stop fucking around. Maybe the EU can reassure them.

I wouldn't count on it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                    Agree 1000%.

Seems very easy for an academic with connections to bannon to get on the BBC these days.
                    Isn't it amazing how - after being called out on shilling the TPA/IEA constantly - the same BBC programmes can find yet more right wing idiots to provide "expert analysis".

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                      I leafleted for remain, marched for a people's vote. But I have nothing but contempt for the "people's vote campaign" who turn all their ire on Corbyn and aren't prepared to put the same amount of pressure on the Conservatives. .
                      I didn't believe the Messiah stuff but he won me over in the election. Since then he's lost me again because I honestly don't know what he stands for on this issue which is beginning to stress me out.

But I don't think he's the problem and certainly not to blame for this mess. When I think about Brexit and start to wind myself up about it, Corbyn isn't even on my radar.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbeak View Post
                        Yeah, what kind of dickhead is addicted to things?
                        You want to go there? Really?

Dickhead is a nice word for them. Especially lighting up outside a children's hospital so their smoke stinks out the children's cancer ward. Selfish, stupid dickheads who can't walk 100 yards before polluting their bodies. I have nothing but contempt for them.

Comment

Raab says hold back the £39bn for business tax cuts. He thinks No Deal settles down after 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            Isn't it amazing how - after being called out on shilling the TPA/IEA constantly - the same BBC programmes can find yet more right wing idiots to provide "expert analysis".
                            Have the BBC discovered Paul Embery, trade unionist Spiked fan yet? Only a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                              Have the BBC discovered Paul Embery, trade unionist Spiked fan yet? Only a matter of time.
                              They have discovered a guy known as "Rants and Bants", a You Tube-ing Man Utd fan who featured prominently in the full 20 minutes that Five Live devoted to discussing the managerial vacancy from 8am onwards today. This on the day after it was announced we're officially stockpiling medicines, that 3,500 troops will be deployed to maintain public order, sorry "assist with logistics", and on the morning the country's biggest and most exclusionary change in immigration policy was being announced. And what's more, he neither ranted nor bantered.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                                Post-referendum I still harboured hopes of a way to stay in the EU until the election of Trump and the ensuing gains made by the populist-right throughout Europe (France, Holland, Italy, Germany and now Spain) is prompting me to worry about whether it could happen here.
                                The Netherlands have no business being in that list. Wilders' vote share went down in the only post-referendum elections (as it did, if I recall correctly, in the elections before that, which were in 2012; Wilders has been in decline for the better part of a decade now). The only reason international news kept talking about Wilders during our last elections, is that while their vote share declined, other parties completely imploded, so with roughly one sixth of all votes Wilders' party just edged into being the second-biggest. And foreign media seem utterly unable to grasp politics unless it is presented as a two-horse race, which makes no sense when the vote is as splintered as it is in the Netherlands.

Comment

3,500 troops? Great, but what about the rest of the country?

Comment

Nah, the Netherlands belongs on that list. Wilders has pushed the entire political spectrum in the country to the right. The rubbish that Mark Rutte regularly spouts would have been considered beyond the pale twenty years ago.

Plus, in the latest polls you have Wilders' Party for Freedom on 18 seats and the new Forum for Democracy (Thierry Baudet's party, which is essentially Wildersism) on 16 seats. Their combined total of 34 would be equal to 23% of the 150 house seats. And, as mentioned, don't forget that the largest party (Mark Rutte's VVD) has itself solidified its grip on power by appealing to the populist-right.
                                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 19-12-2018, 10:44.

Comment

Even though Wilders will never be a truly political heavyweight, the Netherlands has shifted hugely to the right in the past few years, and not only to accommodate him.

Comment

Fucking hell

Comment

?

At the risk of sounding like Theresa May, no deal means no deal. We're a third country. And one that has royally pissed off the EU at that. Immigration status for third country nationals is a matter for member states.
                                          Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 19-12-2018, 11:47.

Comment

Even they wanted to, the EU can't impose 3rd country immigration policies onto their member states, I hope the irony is not lost on some...

Seriously shit times for British abroad this.

Comment

In the latest distraction twist in the panto, there's a row brewing over whether Jeremy Corbyn said "stupid woman" following his PMQ exchange with May.

Comment

A late effort, but this might be the most useful thing he's done in 2018.

Comment

Clock has been run down by a discussion about whether Bercow can force Corbyn to be present when he announces the result of an investigation which might not happen.

Unsurprisingly, the answer is that Bercow can't.

Comment

This is all more important than sorting out the shit we're in.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X