X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy Verhofstadt is also having a good Brexit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhof...45396146704389

Comment

Tim Montgomerie wants Stephen Hammond deselected. That's it, chuck away a bright incumbent with anti-Brexit credentials in London. Maybe they can bring back Dougie Carswell.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScotNatio...53328586395648

Comment

Jesus that fecking paper. The front covers are something else. I hope their 10000 regular readers are lapping it up. Fuckin embarrassment to Indy. And graphic design.

Ah aywis luik forwart tae their colum in the guid puir Scots, such an interestin take on seeminlie anodyne shite fae sum skelpt erse faceit poet (sorry, Makar).

I think there is a value in Scots and the Doric is spoke by maist classes in the NE, but ffs pawky obvious shite such as their Scots columnist gaes tae a festival, didnae ken ony ay the groops, but liked it! Shite is hardly Henrysson Douglas Dunbar or McDiarmid Vital, let alone Burns.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-12-2017, 00:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            Jesus that fecking paper. The front covers are something else. I hope their 10000 regular readers are lapping it up. Fuckin embarrassment to Indy. And graphic design.

Ah aywis luik forwart tae their colum in the good puir Scots, such an interestin take on seeminlie anodyne shite fae sum skelpt erse faceit poet (sorry, Makar).

I think there is a value in Scots and the Doric is spoke by maist classes in the NE, but ffs pawky obvious shite such as their Scots columnist gaes tae a festival, didnae ken ony ay the groops, but liked it! Shite is hardly Henrysson Douglas Dunbar or McDiarmid Vital, let alone Burns.
            "The democratic deficit waesnae born yestreen".

Comment

I thought the joke someone made a couple of weeks ago about LS being a bot was funny but a little harsh, but I have to admit I'm really struggling with that post.

Comment

Meanwhile the Telegraph are going with 'mutiny'. Well, indeed. How's May meant to get anything done if Parliament won't do whatever she tells it to?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                  Tim Montgomerie wants Stephen Hammond deselected. That's it, chuck away a bright incumbent with anti-Brexit credentials in London. Maybe they can bring back Dougie Carswell.

Hammond's awful. Being against Brexit doesn't change that.

Comment

Corbyn and Labour are playing a blinder with the whole Brexit thing. Looking to see all those twats with #FBPE on their Twitter profiles recognising that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      I thought the joke someone made a couple of weeks ago about LS being a bot was funny but a little harsh, but I have to admit I'm really struggling with that post.

I was badly trying to satirize The National’s Scots columnist, who just trots out Mundane Thread type stuff. But in the braw bricht tongue.

It’s a terrible paper, while the Sunday Herald manages to be pro Indy and Scotland’s best paper, The National gave horrible bastard Wings Over Scotland a column. Broad Scotch and shitty covers aren’t their worst crimes.
                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-12-2017, 22:18.

Comment

What does #FBPE mean?

Comment

Follow Back Pro EU

Comment

I was badly trying to satirize The National’s Scots columnist, who just trots out Mundane Thread type stuff. But in the braw bricht tongue.
                            What does "braw bricht" mean?

This is not a call to change, mind. Your level of bottiness is providing me with ample opportunities to learn more about this language. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                              What does #FBPE mean?
                              As Ursus says. It's a way of making Twitter even more of a self-justifying bubble than it already is, and is generally full of people saying 'Labour doesn't offer an opposition/Corbyn's a Brexiteer' sort of stuff. Which could be claimed at certain points with a little justification, but is really just a cover now for LibDem-type centrism.

Comment

It’s a terrible paper, while the Sunday Herald manages to be pro Indy and Scotland’s best paper, The National gave horrible bastard Wings Over Scotland a column. Broad Scotch and shitty covers aren’t their worst crimes.
                                I got it, but then I worked in Scotland for well over a decade and the local papers in my own corner of England dabble in this sort of thing ('local dialect' columns).

Comment

What does "braw bricht" mean?

This is not a call to change, mind. Your level of bottiness is providing me with ample opportunities to learn more about this language. Keep up the good work!

Haha!

“It’s a braw bricht Moonlicht nicht the nicht” is a Stage Scotch phrase John Humphreys types like to use to gently josh the North of the Wall types. Braw=Good, nice. bricht=bright.

Twice I’ve had that said to me. I think I was supposed to laugh back and mibees playfully punch their arm. It’s as well a demotic Scottish Accent is still considered a red flag for best back away, possible Mad Bampot Random Violence action (no matter if the Scotsman is Strachan wee and Andrew Marr muscled). Stereotypes come in handy on occasion.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 14-12-2017, 00:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                    All fairly phonetic, so most legible.

Comment

As Ursus says. It's a way of making Twitter even more of a self-justifying bubble than it already is, and is generally full of people saying 'Labour doesn't offer an opposition/Corbyn's a Brexiteer' sort of stuff. Which could be claimed at certain points with a little justification, but is really just a cover now for LibDem-type centrism.
                                      Gawd. They sound delightful

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        Hammond's awful. Being against Brexit doesn't change that.
                                        Sure, but compared to whatever Kipper Tim Montgomerie wants running, he's likely an electoral asset.

Comment

Got it as well and it gave me a chuckle. I don't think Scots is all that hard to read, then again I'm used to reading a lot of Geordie dialect in Viz which isnae all that different.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                            Shouldn't Corbyn do something about it then?

He's got 28% for best PM. I'd venture he could add quite a few on by strengthening his opposition to Hard Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                              Shouldn't Corbyn do something about it then?
                                              My point is that, whatever he does, many of them are still going to shout 'he's a Brexiteer at heart' - in their case, it's a cover for something else.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure. The EU has been popular among Labour "moderates" for 30 years or so.

Comment

I think it's a cover for some of them, but there is a certain strain of hardcore Remainer for whom Brexit genuinely is the worst, or indeed only bad, political event that has ever affected them personally in their lifetime, and they literally can't comprehend that it isn't the only thing that matters for everyone else too. So they get completely enraged when Corbyn devotes PMQ time to something trivial like homelessness or the NHS or poverty. It's a charmless tactic and, with Brexit on such a knife edge, has the effect of persuading precisely no people to their cause.

But they're the Grown-ups, apparently.

Comment

It's also why the only explanation they can come up with for Labour exceeding expectations in the 2017 general election is that all those re-energised young people could only possibly have been motivated by opposition to Brexit

Comment

Working...
                                                    X