The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NHH View Post
    I'd fully expect a large part of the leave vote to be fuckwitted blow-in retirees beyond working age; people in Cornwall dependent on the wider economy can't have been so fucking stupid.
    Continuing on the fun Cornwall theme from before the weekend:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-want-to-leave

"Leaving Europe will not harm my business. Staying in will. The people that want to remain are weak and willowy. They are afraid. If we stay, we’ll be using the euro, we’ll be driving on the right side of the road. We will disappear as a country and the Germans will take over."

Oh yes please, yes yes yes, please make it happen Monsieur Barmier, I beseech you by the mercies of God, as Rees-Smugg would say... Bring it on! I would bloody love to drive on the right in the UK, would get myself an old left-hand drive classic 1965 Mustang, or I'd buy back my old Camaro, fucking fantastic.

Comment

I genuinely don't know what kind of closure/relocation event would shake the Brexit cult. Possibly Nissan?
      Nope. Just teething pains in the glorious revolution. Look, Brexit would probably lose in a second referendum, but no economic evidence is going to sway the true believers at this point. It's about sticking it to Johnny Foreigner.

Comment

Tom Nuttall‏Verified account
        @tom_nuttall
        Follow Follow @tom_nuttall
        Peter Mandelson is proposing TTIP a a model for EU-UK FTA, as a way of moderating differences between two regulatory authorities
        I suppose the Tories couldn't moan about "foreign courts", having not acknowledged any problem with TTIP.

And we'd probably provide a big chunk of the lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev7 View Post
          Continuing on the fun Cornwall theme from before the weekend:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-want-to-leave

"Leaving Europe will not harm my business. Staying in will. The people that want to remain are weak and willowy. They are afraid. If we stay, we’ll be using the euro, we’ll be driving on the right side of the road. We will disappear as a country and the Germans will take over."

Oh yes please, yes yes yes, please make it happen Monsieur Barmier, I beseech you by the mercies of God, as Rees-Smugg would say... Bring it on! I would bloody love to drive on the right in the UK, would get myself an old left-hand drive classic 1965 Mustang, or I'd buy back my old Camaro, fucking fantastic.
          The minute Scotland declares independence (probably somewhere around my 98th birthday), it should switch to right hand drive in one go like the Swedes did in the 50s. And have the roadsigns only in Gaelic, just to drive the Scotsman letter page writers to apoplexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
            Nope. Just teething pains in the glorious revolution. Look, Brexit would probably lose in a second referendum, but no economic evidence is going to sway the true believers at this point. It's about sticking it to Johnny Foreigner.
            Nah, I think a car manufacturer would hit home.

I might have said something like this earlier today.

Comment

Chris Cook‏Verified account
              @xtophercook
              A brief reminder that this Brexit sub-committee meeting today does not include the NI secretary.
              Ha ha.

Cook must be despairing at the rest of the BBC.

Comment

James Landale‏ Verified account
                @BBCJLandale
                Breaking: UK withdraws British candidate from election to UN International Court Of Justice. Huge diplomatic blow for UK. 1st time no UK judge on ICJ since set up in 1946
                8:42 PM - 20 Nov 2017
                Global Britain.

Comment

Useful background on the ICJ debacle

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    I genuinely think Kuennsberg believes she’s being Fair and Impartial (unlike Humphreys etc - btw Zoe Williams lays a couple of twitter digs into his appalling hack wife Catherine Bennett for her anti trans, Owen Jones bashing screed, I’d say the dinner parties in that pair’s gaff must rival the delightful Goves).

In a way it’s almost more worrying if she can’t see her ridiculous ra ra the Butcher’s Apron bollocks is in a distant constellation from impartial. It’s the way the entire BBC current affairs network seems to do no research. Sky News/random fannies on twitter, they have way more understanding of what is actually going on this collection of knaves and bores. Evan Davis, Kirsty Wark, Piennar, every cunt on R4, no evidence of having a clue what going on (and the likes of Humphreys and Neil feel completely free to dismiss facts that don’t fit their boorish narrative. And they never get challenged).
                    Think John Humphrys and Catherine Bennett are no longer an item. At the very least "it's complicated"

Comment

Both Peston and Kuenssberg are missing the point. They're both making the same mistake. The first stage of discussions is entirely fixed. It doesn't matter who is in charge of whatever European govt. because essentially everyone has agreed the EU's ground rules, and countries can only veto divergences, rather than insist on them. This first stage is purely about the UK coming up with ways of settling three outstanding areas to the EU's satisfaction. The Terrifying thing is that the UK hasn't even begun this process. It's not a negotiation as such, it's about how the UK is going to implement things. By framing it as a negotiation it makes it possible to maintain the illusion that this bit is a discussion, and enables the UK govt to fuck around and not make any progress on these three issues. Of course the UK is going to have to allow ECJ oversight of EU citizens rights. The Home Secretary is in contempt of court, and as far as I know has no interest in changing her mind. People pay attention to this. People pay attention to the "Enemies of the people." There is no way that the EU is going to leave the rights to EU citizens up to the unsupervised UK justice system. And of course they're going to have to pay a lot more than £20 billion. The UK is worried that the sum of money won't seem too big. The EU is only interested that the UK pays what it owes.

Walking away after these things have been settled just means that the UK will have an extremely limited future trade relationship with the EU, and probably the collapse of the economy, simply because of the inability to deal with customs. If they walk away before these things are settled to the Eu's satisfaction, then the relationship will become actively, and punitively hostile. The UK govt knows that it has to do what the EU wants for the first three issues, and they know that trying to do it is going to tear apart the tory party. But it's going to have to happen, and it's going to have to happen soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        it should switch to right hand drive in one go like the Swedes did in the 50s.
                        Switching to right hand drive kind of has to be done in one go, with vast amounts of expensive, meticulously planned and fully executed preparation work done in advance. Having a transition period for everyone to gradually adapt to the new way, or simple setting a date without any prep work and then hoping to muddle through, sorting out the problems as they arise will only lead to mass carnage.
                        There may be some kind of metaphor going on here, I dunno.

Comment

You’re wrecking our Nation’s buzz, man. Back when we forcibly controlled a third of the world we didn’t care what Johnny Europe thought. Now our old friends will surely gather round the Queen’s bosom. Rationality is unpatriotic and elitist, and frankly a bore.

Comment

So, the latest Brexiteer wheeze is to offer GBP 40bn for the bill (still unclear whether this is supposed to be a costed version of agreed commitments or a lump sum in lieu), but only if we move on to trade talks. Even though we have yet to put anything at all on the table about the Irish border. It's like watching a toddler trying to push the cube through the round hole and getting frustrated, but it's the cabinet.

Comment

Enjoyable to see Brexiteer Andrew Neil getting owned on Twitter for his ignorant remarks about the failure of Merkel's attempt to build a " Jamaica" coalition being the biggest crisis in German post war politics.
                              Last edited by Nefertiti2; 21-11-2017, 12:07.

Comment

Owen Paterson compares Britain to Singapore.

“ In 1980, Britons were 20 per cent richer than Singaporeans on average; today they are twice as rich as us.”

Because, Owen, you and your dumb fuck ideology has been in charge for most of those 37 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                  Enjoyable to see Brexiteer Andrew Neil getting owned on Twitter for his ignorant remarks about the failure of Merkel's attempt to build a " Jamaica" coalition being the biggest crisis in German post war politics.
                                  I can't even. We're talking about a country that was forcibly partitioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    I can't even. We're talking about a country that was forcibly partitioned.

Also had the Red Army Fraction kidnapping and killing MP's. The Stammheim suicides. An East German spy found in Gunther Guillaume found in Willi Brandt's office. Israeli athletes murdered at Munich. and so on. Neil (like the Corbyn documentary last night) shows up how lazy and ill informed the British press are , and how often they get away with it because they hunt in packs and all say the same thing.

Comment

Driving on the other side of the road is easy. You just need to be really careful at junctions. Though you'll have self driving cars long before people would switch.

Comment

Heard Seán Kelly MEP on the radio today suggesting that the EU plans to scrap DST? Surely the better idea would be to abolish winter time, and extend hours of sunlight!

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                          Owen Paterson compares Britain to Singapore.

“ In 1980, Britons were 20 per cent richer than Singaporeans on average; today they are twice as rich as us.”

Because, Owen, you and your dumb fuck ideology has been in charge for most of those 37 years.
                                          How do comparisons with China since 1980 go, Owen?

Actually, I shouldn't give him ideas.

Comment

When are Owen and all going to front up to Brexit pensioners about the effects of this ultra low tax stuff?

The pensions triple lock won't be long for this world.

Comment

Arlene tells Leo to back off re the Border, yet if NI leaves on the same terms as the UK, Catholics will be immediately alienated, and moderates may very well become disillusioned if the economy declines:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-42064743

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                I suppose the Tories couldn't moan about "foreign courts", having not acknowledged any problem with TTIP.

And we'd probably provide a big chunk of the lawyers.
                                                Last week's Law Gazette's "In Brief" section informs us that the Government are hiring an extra 50 lawyers as "Brexit has led to additional demand, a spokesman confirmed."

Mind you, this week they're cutting the MOJ budget 40% by 2020 compared to 2010. Legal Aid in the firing line as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                  Arlene tells Leo to back off re the Border, yet if NI leaves on the same terms as the UK, Catholics will be immediately alienated, and moderates may very well become disillusioned if the economy declines:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-42064743
                                                  Fuck me, the only thing worse than being that thick, is being that ignorant to boot. Being ignorant is a thickness multiplier.

If Northern Ireland remains in the single market, and customs union, it could become unspeakably rich on the back of being the part of the UK that is able to operate in the EU. They are so fucking stupid. They would avoid a hard border with the republic, and become the richest part of the UK. It would give a fucking economic rationale to Northern Ireland, and ensure its continued existence, because the way it's fucking going we're going to be left holding that baby in the not too distant future.

Comment

If NI remained in the single market and customs union it would effectively be tethered to Ireland with the same laws and standards, and there would be a hard border between NI and the rest of the UK. England would have abandoned NI and the government would collapse without DUP support.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X