No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you may have the power dynamic between May and the Daily mail exactly backwards there Tubby.

Comment

European Medicines Agency has its new location announced today. I wonder if this could be a big moment. Sure, they're "Eurocrats" but medicine is real, even to Kipper pensioners.

Comment

So is the Banking agency.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          I think you may have the power dynamic between May and the Daily mail exactly backwards there Tubby.
          Daily Mail bosses?

They went after Hammond in the spring when he tried a progressive tax change on the self-employed. They'll do his legs properly this time, and he'll be gone soon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            So is the Banking agency.
            Today? Excellent.

Kipper populism will shrug that one off.

Comment

Well know anti-British militant, John Bruton, predicts anger then self-realisation on our part.

Comment

European Medicines Agency has its new location announced today. I wonder if this could be a big moment. Sure, they're "Eurocrats" but medicine is real, even to Kipper pensioners.
                I'm not sure why you think this will even register, in electoral terms.

Comment

Meanwhile, more weird headline spin from Bloomberg:Barnier Raises Irish Obstacle Just as U.K. Moves on Brexit Bill.

I mean, the EU's been saying the UK needs to do more than handwaving about electronic customs declarations and trusted traders for months. Also, the UK hasn't actually formally moved at all on the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                    Meanwhile, more weird headline spin from Bloomberg:Barnier Raises Irish Obstacle Just as U.K. Moves on Brexit Bill.

I mean, the EU's been saying the UK needs to do more than handwaving about electronic customs declarations and trusted traders for months. Also, the UK hasn't actually formally moved at all on the bill.
                    He certainly seems to be talking Varadkar's language:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesCris...68364815437825

Comment

I'm not sure why you think this will even register, in electoral terms.
                      It's 600 jobs (just the secretariat), it's in a field most people understand as important, with likely more industry jobs to follow.

Not as striking as a car assembly plant or anything like that, but should still make an impression.

Comment

But they're "bad" jobs as far as Tories and especially Kippers are concerned. Public sector, bureaucratic, foreign (quite possibly literally - I only know a handful of Brits in the EBA). And, you know, if they cared about keeping European regulatory agencies in the UK, they wouldn't have voted for Brexit.

Comment

I'm thinking of the medicines jobs, more than the banking ones. But I think the bulk of Brexiters aren't libertarians, who'll think "Fantastic, I'll be able to get miracle pills easier without Europe getting in the way". They'll see these as hundreds of jobs in something important going.

How many people who voted Brexit even knew these agencies existed in the UK? "Brussels" innit?

Comment

Actually, maybe the EBA jobs could hit home. Kippers aren't Randists on banking either.

Comment

Starmer very quiet about the Irish border. Saying more about curry awards.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Comment

How many people who voted Brexit even knew these agencies existed in the UK?
                                Well exactly. And I doubt many of them will know they're going, either. It just seems so very far down the list of concerns of Brexiteers, even the politically aware ones. I mean, Christ, the more forthright of them are willing to throw the economy in the toilet to throw off the shackles of the ECJ. Why would they give a toss about a few hundred European civil servants?
                                Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 20-11-2017, 13:30.

Comment

Lots won't, but if the reporting is at all adequate, it'll have people explaining that we'll have to set our own shadow medicines agency up at great cost. That's money not going to the NHS. Plus industry representatives, and a load more job numbers up in the air.

I think there are a few things this news makes real, in a way that a couple of quarters lower growth (which are better than the Bank and Treasury said) aren't real.

Comment

if the reporting is at all adequate
                                    Hahahahahaha.

Comment

In case you're on the edge of your seat:
                                      The three cities that will move to the second round of voting for the EMA are Milan, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen.

Milan scored 25 points and the other two scored 20 points each during a vote at the General Affairs Council, several people with knowledge of the vote said.

Comment

In case you're on the edge of your seat:
                                        Interesting, in that the FT previously had Bratislava in contention, but their bid appears to have gone down the Swanee.

Comment

Did Barcelona get zero? The price of principles, or gameplaying, depending on your point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                            Interesting, in that the FT previously had Bratislava in contention, but their bid appears to have gone down the Swanee.
                                            I'm surprised the FT talked it up. I like Bratislava but it's pitch would be like Birmingham going for the Olympics. Would be nice if it got something though, given the fuckwittery going on around it.

Comment

Actually, they don't recognize same-sex partnerships, I see. Sod them.

Comment

Milan and Amsterdam through to 3rd round, apparently.

Comment

Amsterdam it is.

Comment

There's a certain synergy there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X