The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    There was a good thread on Twitter. Brexit is basically an English nationalist revolution. Which because is not interested in logic or rational argument is immune to warning signs about prosperity. It will also end in tears.
    That is the most important truism about Brexit, all that sense of anger and feeling left behind whilst the other nations of the Unions are on the road to devolution have contributed so much to Brexit. England defines itself so much by its past (ww2, wc66, etc) that the current situation has left so many people bitter and resentful.

I often jokingly suggested that Brexit would be solved by England seceding from the UK (with London and possibly a few more remain areas staying put)...

Comment

You may joke, but it sometimes feels that London and the South East have already seceded from England. Whenever some Londoner says "we should build a wall around London, cut off the country and then see what it is like", I tend to respond "go on then..."

Comment

The South East was a major part of the problem. It was the home counties pricks who carried the brexit vote. So they can fuck off, for a start.

Comment

BoJo visiting Dublin today - RTE distinctly unimpressed.

Comment

Leo also meeting Theresa.

This is the bit where we get to order the UK how to organize their internal constitutional affairs. The DUP are going to fucking love this. Well this is what taking back control looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
              The South East was a major part of the problem. It was the home counties pricks who carried the brexit vote. So they can fuck off, for a start.
              And indeed Home Counties Tory-Kippers who frightened Cameron into holding the referendum. He sure didn't do it because he'd suddenly discovered Grimsby.

Comment

Comment

Don't forget: it's the Labour Party that's anti-Semitic...

Comment

It appears only 2% of our exports go to the North, in contrast to 36% of theirs in the opposite direction:

https://theconversation.com/northern...epublics-87388

Comment

And the left who are gratuitously nasty and personal.

Arron Banks‏
                      @Arron_banks
                      Noel Gallagher just called you lefties @MrBrendanCox @mk1969 the new fascists. I think he's got a point ☝️

Comment

I don't think Laura Kuenssberg gets the Irish approach to Brexit, if she thinks there are any divisions:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak...49422688919559

Comment

Don't worry, straight-talking Dave can go two better than Laura. He could be in the Cabinet.

Dave
                          @Davesbits
                          Replying to @bbclaurak and @reporterboy
                          I would be looking at Merkel who can't form a government and Macron who's losing his, but I forget you're sponsored by the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                            Don't lump the home counties in together. Essex and Kent may have been Brexit heartlands but Surrey and Berkshire, for instance, had remain majorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                              I don't think Laura Kuenssberg gets the Irish approach to Brexit, if she thinks there are any divisions:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak...49422688919559
                              The Irish position is "YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB. ONE FUCKING JOB AND YOU FUCKING FUCKED IT UP, YOU FUCKING STUPID INCOMPETENT CUNTS. WE KNEW YOU WERE FUCKING STUPID, BUT WE LIED TO OURSELVES THAT YOU WEREN'T FUCKING DANGEROUS."

Comment

The four regions with the highest leave vote were West Midlands, East Midlands, North East and Yorkshire/Humber. You can blame the home counties for a lot, but I think this one may be pushing it.

Comment

The Midlands is a political horrorshow at the moment.

Comment

Using the Brexit vote to further carve out and talk up a further divide between London and the South-East and the rest of the country would be a catastrophically counterproductive mistake.

A stat I'm wont to repeating is that more people, numerically, in London voted to leave the EU than voted for Sadiq Khan to be our mayor.

It's hard to unpick the reasons for Brexit and arrive at a conclusive and definitive one but the fact that so many areas that have been ignored and fucked over for 30 years tended to vote out can't just be responded to by calling them thick peasants (not that anyone here is necessarily doing that, but it's an unmistakeable undercurrent in some Remainers' discoures, and it's just about the worst approach to take)

Comment

In realtion to that ddid anyone hear Andew Adomis who has become government infrastructure tsar as well as Blairite loose cannon prposing that the government should be funding a belt of rail links linking Oxford Milton Keynes and Cambridge and ecournaging development there.

lots of people in the commentariat finding it amusing that Grimsby or Cornwall want special pleading. They were fucked before Brexit thanks to atrocious London centric and freemarket policies. We need to get people back on side not laugh in their faces

Comment

Cornwall is a Tory stronghold. Tories vote Brexit, in London, affluent Herefordshire, and most other places. You don't have to go too far into being left behind to explain the Leave vote.

Adonis was a baleful influence on education, but he's good on transport. I think it's one rail line already happening but delayed, plus some looser planning. Fair enough in itself.

Comment

It may not have been the SE wot won it, but wasn’t it the middle classes that swung the Brexit vote (whether in Dudley or Tonbridge). And yeah there’s a severe amount of chickens coming home to roost from at least 50 years of control from the centre trumping all, only accelerated under Thatcher and Blair’s “liberating” us from Govt. it’s shitey enough a 30 mile rail journey from my hometown to Embra takes 40 minutes mostly on diesel track, but the refurbed 2 car chuggers are like heaven compared to the Pacer blighted north of England. At least Scotland had devolution to a slightly less corrupt and ineffective centre, England away from the Wen (and the bubbleicious property and creatives enclave of Manchester) has been fucked and ignored.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 17-11-2017, 18:24.

Comment

Always worth remembering the Tories who don't bother to vote in Labour constituencies because there's no point in FPTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              It may not have been the SE wot won it, but wasn’t it the middle classes that swung the Brexit vote (whether in Dudley or Tonbridge). And yeah there’s a severe amount of chickens coming home to roost from at least 50 years of control from the centre trumping all, only accelerated under Thatcher and Blair’s “liberating” us from Govt. it’s shitey enough a 30 mile rail journey from my hometown to Embra tales 40 minutes mostly on diesel track, but the refurbed 2 car chuggers are like heaven compared to the Pacer blighted north of England. At least Scotland had devolution to a slightly less corrupt and ineffective centre, England away from the Wen (and the bubbleicious property and creatives enclave of Manchester) has been fucked and ignored.
                                              England's never really showed any interest in devolution. Blair had a go with regional assemblies, but nobody wanted them. Most people in England are happy with Westminster doing English stuff, just with the Scots not voting. Turnout for the latest "metro mayors" was under 30% everywhere.

Comment

I know, but I’m not even talking about devolution, just a return of powers and revenue raising powers to the Local Authorities. Even the GLA is a piss weak reflection of the powers enjoyed by the GLC (which was in turn more toothless than its forerunner). You don’t need new parliaments, just take power away from Westminster as much as possible.

Comment

I don't think people are that fired up by regional assemblies, but a bit of physical manifestation of devolution, like actual regional investment (say, high-speed rail linking up the major conurbations from Liverpool to Newcastle) might make a bit more of a difference. Labour's floating of regional investment banks is a good idea worth fleshing out. Put greater powers for local and regional government on top of that, and we might get somewhere.

People voted leave for different, sometimes contradictory, reasons –*just as those who voted remain did (I was motivated by little of what motivated George fucking Osborne to put a cross in the same box as me). That should be acknowledged, as should one of the big flaws of the official Remain campaign, the "don't put our prosperity at risk" angle, to which a significant chunk of people clearly turned round and responded "what fucking prosperity?"

Comment

Re antiquated trains, it's overdue, but lots of new ones are in the pipeline.

Article here says the Scottish Government deserve credit for weighting their franchise conditions to give more emphasis to service quality than price in 2014, and the DfT have copied it.

https://www.railengineer.uk/2017/03/...eir-thousands/

Comment

Working...
                                                    X