No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I've mentioned before Patel's constituency ends a mile from my house, my MP is Tory Boy lookalike Will Quince and a few miles up the road where I work the MP is Bernard Jenkin. Help me.

Comment

That’s some Bullshit Triangle right there

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
        As I've mentioned before Patel's constituency ends a mile from my house, my MP is Tory Boy lookalike Will Quince and a few miles up the road where I work the MP is Bernard Jenkin. Help me.
        Christ.

Quince has likely got problems next time, at least. Might have had problems this time if Labour had already been a clear second in 2015.

There's a nice bit near you that once had 2 of the last 3 Monday Club MPs next to each other.

Comment

Tubby, on Channel4 now (about to start), your Grimsby people fishing for concessions...

Comment

Have just watched it. And I'm really glad I did: I had completely forgotten what a gorgeous Italianate tower they have in Grimsby harbour.

Comment

Good Lord, yes.

Comment

Wouldn't look out of place in Portmeirion.

Just been put on the iplayer:

https://www.channel4.com/news/leave-...uble-standards

Comment

Or Birmingham University.

Comment

Zac Goldsmith‏Verified account
                    @ZacGoldsmith
                    Caroline Lucas: “We’re delighted with the Secretary of State (@michaelgove) But how do we know he’ll be here for long enough?” A remarkable intervention, and shows how much credit Michael has earned.
                    Yeah, that's exactly what she meant.

Comment

any of the irish contingent able to comment on the usefulness of this analogy between Brexit and the Irish Free State's "economic war" on Britain

Comment

That arose when Dev refused to pay land annuities, which were a legacy of a commission established to progressively wind-up landlordism, and the UK slapped a tariff on agricultural produce. Ultimately, Ireland got the better end of the deal, as the annuities were abolished, and the Treaty ports were handed over, allowing us to stay neutral the following year.

Comment

Of course, the analogy depends on the generosity of the larger party - back in the Thirties, Britain could have kept the blockade in place indefinitely, but chose not to, whereas a similar UK outcome to the Free State requires simultaneous agreement among the 27.

Comment

David Davis proposing free movement for the City. I've no idea why the EU should concede that.

Maybe financiers can carry cases of haddock from Grimsby with them.

Comment

It makes their game more transparent that Davis has said that though. Freedom of movement for the City, everyone and everything else can go fuck themselves. Which makes it a continuation of most Tory thinking of the past 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                It makes their game more transparent that Davis has said that though. Freedom of movement for the City, everyone and everything else can go fuck themselves. Which makes it a continuation of most Tory thinking of the past 40 years.
                                Ian Parsley - NI Alliance politician:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ianjamesp...59341965025281

Comment

David torn to shreds in germany tonight. Still giving it the you need us more than we need you schtick.

"Davis warns German audience not to put EU politics ahead of getting a trade deal - 'putting politics above prosperity is never a smart choice.'

he added that the UK + EU should continue to match same rules on drugs, scientific products, and safety standards - 'Leaving the European Union should not necessarily change our approach on cooperation — even as we diverge.'

To which the first question from the German press was- "if you want that cooperation, why are you leaving?"

Comment

Tweet above elaborates on same.

Comment

There was a good thread on Twitter. Brexit is basically an English nationalist revolution. Which because is not interested in logic or rational argument is immune to warning signs about prosperity. It will also end in tears.

Comment

That is something else. Single market and customs union Brexit or chaos in the North crazy tailbacks at Holyhead/Dover and economic depression. But nah they will bail with no deal, some patched together shit like Open Skies (at massive cost to the Brits) in March 2019 or shared intelligence for the things that need to continue for all sides almost no matter what.

Comment

'Leaving the European Union should not necessarily change our approach on cooperation — even as we diverge.'
                                          That was a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                            There was a good thread on Twitter. Brexit is basically an English nationalist revolution. Which because is not interested in logic or rational argument is immune to warning signs about prosperity. It will also end in tears.
                                            Plus culture wars.

Comment

"Davis warns German audience not to put EU politics ahead of getting a trade deal - 'putting politics above prosperity is never a smart choice.'
                                              Says the representative of the party which called the Brexit referendum in an attempt to appease its backbenchers and head off UKIP.

Comment

And in Davis' case, campaigned to Leave because he thought the Germans would do their own deal outside the EU to protect car exports.

Comment

I'm amazed he wasn't laughed out of the room.

Comment

He was.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X