The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, who could have predicted that?

Stringer is another one who ought to be deslected.

Comment

Christ almighty, Davis complaining about the EU playing "time against money".

Who could have seen that tight two year deadline coming?

Comment

This woman is far too sensible to work for the Institute of Directors. Andrew Neil isn't having a good day on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/AllieRenison/sta...23922035867648

Do I spy one of our own on the thread there?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          Christ almighty, Davis complaining about the EU playing "time against money".

Who could have seen that tight two year deadline coming?
          Davis is complaining about a negotiation process and priorities that he agreed to against a deadline that his own boss decided to put there without any pressure whatsoever. Why isn't the Press fucking pointing this out?

Now, more than ever, it is clear that they want to leave without a deal. They think the UK will just carry on as normal past March 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            Any chance we can have Flint and Mann and all the other wallopers de-selected sharpish?
            It's down to their CLPs, and from what I understand they've been pretty good at ensuring that few of the newer members are getting a sniff.

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. EU bad because Barnier and all won't appear on our telly.

Tim Montgomerie ن‏Verified account @montie 12h
              Andrew #Marr notes that EU side of #Brexit negs declining invites to appear. In a nutshell that''s how accountable they are & always will be

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                It's down to their CLPs, and from what I understand they've been pretty good at ensuring that few of the newer members are getting a sniff.
                They shouldn't need new members to get rid of these Kipper backbenchers. The old EU-supporting loyalists should be able to boot them out.

Comment

I see the Minister of State for Trade, Lord Price, walked out today. Can't have been much fun facing the Lords (with much fewer Brexit cheerleaders than the Commons).

Comment

More worried noises from Airbus.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...t-after-brexit

1,000 employees in Flintshire- which voted 56-44 for Brexit.

Comment

I see that Lord Price isn't being replaced by a peer. Greg Hands MP (already doing the job in the Commons) is his successor, however that works.

The Lords is a tough gig, with all those heavyweight Crossbenchers and more Tory Europhiles, plus all the Lib Dem peers that Clegg negotiated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                        They shouldn't need new members to get rid of these Kipper backbenchers. The old EU-supporting loyalists should be able to boot them out.
                        So far Tubbs, the majority of remainers seem content to sadly acquiesce with ploughing headlong into disaster, cos, will of the people. I hope impending economic death will focus the mind, but I fear the Great British reflexive response will be to blame the bastards at the EU. It's only almost all our neighbours. And Norway is hardly trying to frenchie the rotten corpse of UK plc. But New Zealand will want to be bezzies again, just you wait. We'll dig in, just like in wartime (says an electorate where most everyone voting has hazy childhood memories of Blitz Britain at best).
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 03-09-2017, 23:59.

Comment

I've not seen a transcript, but someone said that the number of mentions of Brexit in the German leaders debate last night was apparently less than one.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            It's weird that Brexiteers are so obsessed with vacuum cleaners and light bulbs.
                            They're pensioners, what did you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              I've not seen a transcript, but someone said that the number of mentions of Brexit in the German leaders debate last night was apparently less than one.
                              I wouldn't be surprised. The election seems to be mainly about diesel cars and refugees, from what I've seen.

Comment

The debate was an utter waste of time. They spent almost the whole time answering questions about refugees and Erdogan that appeared to have been scripted by the AfD, and as such, were hardly able to differentiate themselves from each other. Even so, I'd have been very surprised if Brexit had been mentioned, because it's not even remotely on the radar over here. I think if you asked most Germans, their response would be along the lines of "Oh - haven't they gone yet?"

Comment

Talking of Germany, it's a German that's stopping us getting a fantastic Brexit deal. Not Angela Merkel, but sinister figure unmasked here by Dominic Lawson.

He's big, he's bad. They call him "The Monster". It's a bloke who works for Juncker called Martin Selmayr.

I love this idea that Merkel and Macron are sat there thinking "If only there wasn't this bloke working for Juncker running the show that we can't do anything about!"

The biggest arguments in divorce cases are almost always about the money. The needs of the children tend to be cast aside: sometimes, they are even used as hostages.

Something similar is happening in the negotiations between the UK and the European Commission over our so-called divorce from the EU.

At the insistence of the Commission — which in effect is acting as the divorce lawyer for the 27 remaining states — the UK must agree to cough up a vast sum before we can even begin to discuss the post-Brexit trading terms between us.

In other words, the long-term future of families in the EU — the people who will benefit most from an amicable trade deal — is less important than getting lots of dosh up front.

This is understandable from the Commission’s point of view. While the UK’s contribution to the EU’s finances may not be significant in terms of those countries’ overall economies, it is of enormous consequence to the Commission itself, amounting to 14 per cent of its total income — notably the salaries and the pensions of the 35,000 or so officials who work for it.

The most influential of those officials is not the President of the Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker. No, the man of power there is that bibulous and erratic Luxembourger’s chief of staff, Martin Selmayr.
                                  This 46-year-old German lawyer is known in the corridors of the Berlaymont as ‘the monster’. Both brilliant and a fearsome bully, Selmayr is a fanatical believer in ‘the project’ and is determined not only that Britain is punished for its decision to leave, but so obviously punished that no other nation will ever again even dream of taking the same action.

Comment

This is him. The Monster.

Comment

Huh. Bloomberg just had a piece about him. Somebody's been briefing.

Comment

Possibly Mr Monster Munch himself.

Comment

LEAVE.EU ����‏Verified account
                                          @LeaveEUOfficial
                                          WATCH: @Nigel_Farage calʪ on May to go beyond obstructⅳe EU Commission & talk directly to nation states to reach deal ㏌ everyone's interest.
                                          Next week. Farage calls on May to go beyond obstructive Angela Merkel and speak directly to the Sales Manager at BMW.

Comment

The week after. Farage calls on May to go beyond obstructive BMW fat cats and speak directly to people in German pubs.

Comment

What a difference a year makes. This was the now resigned Lord Price, 2016.

Britain’s trade minister has heralded the arrival of a “second Elizabethan Golden Age” as the country breaks away from the European Union.

Speaking on his first foreign visit since the referendum, Lord Price predicted that the falling value of sterling will boost investment into to the UK give exporters “a helping hand”. He told business leaders in Hong Kong that British companies would enjoy less regulation and an “even more competitive” tax system after Brexit.

Major government-backed campaigns will help to boost annual exports from Britain by as much as £70 billion by 2020, he predicted.

Lord Price said departing the EU would hand the country a “fresh start” with an “open economy”, adding: “I will use this week’s G20 trade ministers meeting in Shanghai to start building these important relationships with counterparts ahead of our negotiations.”

Setting out ambitious plans to transform Britain into a “super connected trading hub”, the minister said the country could maintain a close relationship with Europe while striking new deals across the world.
                                              Never mind, I'm sure his plans are all about to work.

Comment

http://https://mobile.twitter.com/Badger5000/status/904670894865485824

F all to do with Brexit, but more proof, if proof be need be, that John Harris and his talking haircut never knew nothin about nothin. Defending M People is almost as heinous as his Legitimate Concerns of Salt of the Earth racists bollocks.

As a scribbler formerly of this parish once noted, M People aren't even cod soul, they're fuckin halibut soul.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-09-2017, 17:28.

Comment

Jarvis Cocker sartorially influenced "Anne-Marie" is some scary fascist bam. And Kirsty Wark is again the wrong person to interview such a reptile. EDL friends might eat post-Fash scumbag alive if she doesn't get a True Brit passport before B-Day. Would Banks throw cash at a full fat fascist UKIP?
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-09-2017, 22:06.

Comment

Fuck me, "Bomber" Harris even defends Jamiroquai.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X