No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking dick. PostCapitalism is a load of Pat Kane friendly shite as well.

Comment

Pat Kane of 80s pop duo, Pat and Mick.

Comment

His think piece word and concept explorations in such august publications as The National are always a joy. Mibees he was actually better churning out classics such as "lookin' for Linda" and the one where he ain't gonna work for you no more.

Comment

"Scottish nationalist, Pat Sharp" has a nice ring to it.

Labour backs staying in the Single Market indefinitely, as the CBI say. So does Big Phil Hammond who's called for "sensible Brexit". That's good.

Comment

Pat Sharp's hair had secessionist tendencies, at least.

Comment

"Scottish nationalist, Pat Sharp" has a nice ring to it.

Labour and Big Phil Hammond both welcoming the CBI statement about staying in the Single Market "indefinitely". Big Phil has called for "sensible Brexit". He can coin a phrase, can't he?

Comment

Was better the first time

Comment

Comment

This is like late Wilson/Callaghan for open dissension in Cabinet. Jason Cowley to anoint Hammond as our lugubrious pound shop Macron hero.

Comment

Hammond's done even less campaigning than May had prior to being PM. Cowley might put him in, but Tories won't. Maybe he and Mark Carney will turn up in Whitehall in a tank one day.

He must meet quite a few "concerned businessmen". Not that I approve of the revolving door, but it would be quite funny if one of them persuaded him to spend more time with his boardroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        This is like late Wilson/Callaghan for open dissension in Cabinet. Jason Cowley to anoint Hammond as our lugubrious pound shop Macron hero.
                        Has The New Statesman defected?

Comment

Heh, apart from Stephen K Bush it's questionble how in the Labour camp they still are. I mean, Chris Deerin ffs. At the first sign of a Centrist Moderniser that looks half plausible and backs the Single Market, I'd think the likes of Cowley would be all over them, regardless of their party background.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-07-2017, 19:29.

Comment

May: Sort out our shit for us...

Comment

Comment

As I understand it, we've given notice to leave Euratom in our Article 50 letter. So if we're allowed to stay in Euratom that means we've been allowed to revoke (part of? all of?) our notice to leave.

Why should the EU allow that?

Comment

Today, therefore, I am writing to give effect to the democratic decision of the people of the United Kingdom. I hereby notify the European Council in accordance with Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union of the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the European Union. In addition, in accordance with the same Article 50(2) as applied by Article 106a of the Treaty Establishing the European Atomic Energy Community, I hereby notify the European Council of the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the European Atomic Energy Community. References in this letter to the European Union should therefore be taken to include a reference to the European Atomic Energy Community.
                                  Labour to be fair to them did try an amendment staying in Euratom, even if they waved through this. They can make some political capital here.

Comment

As I understand it, we've given notice to leave Euratom in our Article 50 letter. So if we're allowed to stay in Euratom that means we've been allowed to revoke (part of? all of?) our notice to leave.

Why should the EU allow that?
                                    Well, the EU's said all along that if the UK wants to change its mind and stay a full member, it can. I'm not sure it can stay a member of Euratom and not the EU, though.

Comment

Does that still hold now we've invoked Article 50?

Obviously, they'd be interested in a political fix to keep us in, but wouldn't that be very much at their discretion? They'd be fools if they didn't eg make it dependent on getting rid of the rebate.

Comment

Tory MP metaphorically can't see the wood for the trees:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-public-event

Comment

Switzerland are, at least, an associate member of Euratom. Britain could take that route, no? Or would that still be considered out of the realms of reasonableness by the Brexiters because it would mean control by EU institutions?

Comment

The objection I have seen is that it would require submission to ECJ jurisdiction, which is anathema to May.

Comment

Why would the EU allow the UK associate membership without having the obligations Switzerland does?

Comment

I was assuming - like an idiot - that perhaps Britain wouldn't mind being subject to ECJ on nuclear stuff, given the wider benefits of nuclear cooperation.

I guess once you go down that road, you might start wondering why we'd withdraw from the EU at all...

Comment

Obviously, they'd be interested in a political fix to keep us in, but wouldn't that be very much at their discretion? They'd be fools if they didn't eg make it dependent on getting rid of the rebate.
                                                  Yes, it's totally at their discretion, in principle. Unless the EU 27 (and various other bodies, in principle) do something proactive, then the UK gets kicked out in March 2019 (of the EU and as a result Euratom). But pretty much everyone who's been asked has said something along the lines that if the UK changes its mind, then it'd be allowed back in with open arms. I wouldn't be surprised if they extracted some cost for that in practice, if for no other reason that to dissuaude other polities from dicking the EU around, but again it would open to the UK to accept.

Comment

Freedom of movement really pushes down wages.

I mean, look at Denmark.

Oh, right.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X