No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

Haha yes it's Bozotastic

I've only just noticed that she wore Black Watch tartan for that speech, for that extra touch of vaguely sinister authoritarianism. I try not to comment on what politicians wear, but I doubt the symbolism was accidental.

Comment

More here.

Direct image link not working!

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16142992_10154902268494709_2384852803219317585_n.j pg?oh=8a37cccdcd0fe651656bd7ceb80b6f6e&oe=591F56F9

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: I try not to comment on what politicians wear
        Ditto here but sometimes, you just have to (you do wonder about the sartorial credentials of those Tory women...)

Comment

Just a joke, like on Top Gear.

In an extraordinary outburst at a foreign policy conference in Delhi, Johnson said: “If Hollande wants to administer punishment beatings to anybody who seeks to escape [the EU], in the manner of some world war two movie, I don’t think that is the way forward. It’s not in the interests of our friends and partners.”
          But he can do serious as well.

Speaking on Wednesday, Johnson said new tariff barriers between Britain and Europe would “cut both ways”, citing imports of German luxury cars into Britain.
          BMWs! He did "Prosecco" the other day, and that got laughed out of town too.

It was “absolutely incredible”, he said, “that in the 21st century member states of the EU should be seriously contemplating the reintroduction of tariffs
          Members of the EU like Britain per the PM, yesterday.

The PM of Malta said the same as the French- everybody else will get a worse deal outside the EU. Malta escaped a jibe about WW2 from hilarious Boris. Maybe he'll mention 50s Soho pimps to Malta, or something.

Comment

?

Comment

May’s speech yesterday:

Every stray word and every hyped-up media report is going to make it harder for us to get the right deal for Britain. Our opposite numbers in the European commission know it, which is why they are keeping their discipline. And the ministers in this government know it too, which is why we will also maintain ours."

Boris Johnson, to France today:

If Hollande wants to administer punishment beatings to anybody who seeks to escape [the EU], in the manner of some world war two movie, I don’t think that is the way forward. It’s not in the interests of our friends and partners.”

The discipline lasted all of 24 hours.

Comment

It's almost like they're a bunch of fucking cretins with no idea of what they're doing.

Comment

I don't know how you could have got that impression:
                  The prime minister's spokeswoman has said she does not accept the interpretation by some parts of the media of Boris Johnson's comments.

She said he was "not in any way suggesting anyone was a Nazi", adding that "at no time did he use the word Nazi and I don't accept the interpretation of his comments".

She went on to say the remarks were "all being hyped up" and that he was making a point about a punitive approach.

Mr Johnson was making a "theatrical comparison" to evocative World War Two movies, according to the spokeswoman.

She added that "there is not a government policy of not talking about the war".

Comment

It's seriously worth the Opposition, if they're not going to oppose Brexit, to have a proper pop at Johnson. Obviously, some people will think this stuff is great, but lots of core Brexiteers are serious and won't like too much arsing about.

Is he even going to stay around anyway?

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: ?
                      Maltese Soho pimps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messina_Brothers

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: Haha yes it's Bozotastic

I've only just noticed that she wore Black Watch tartan for that speech, for that extra touch of vaguely sinister authoritarianism. I try not to comment on what politicians wear, but I doubt the symbolism was accidental.
                        Just look at the rest of the front page. Russian sex workers are the best says putin. have you got Melania style, and three parent baby.

it's like looking at the Weekly world news, except BatBoy was more sartorially elegant than the UK prime minister.

Comment

The views of the publicwho know Johnson best.

Obviously, London is outlier Europhile, but wearing thin as a the chancer he is before that.

Comment

The query was to Kev7's post. I don't see what's wrong with the photo he's posting (not to mention it's a bit iffy to go around questioning female politicians sartorial choices).

Comment

Enlarge and look carefully (awfully crumpled suit, dodgy brogues)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/style/amber-rudd-may-have-suffered-a-trouser-suit-faux-pas-but-get-you/

https://aftercarrie.wordpress.com/2016/09/10/the-way-we-wear/

Comment

Cerebral Eurosceptic David Davis shows the way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-ken-clarker-tory-rebel-former-chancellor-conservative-eu-deal-negotiations-a7531801.html

To laughter, cries of "More!" and a smattering of applause from the opposition benches, Mr Clarke said: "Which country in the world is going to enter into a trade agreement with this country on the basis that the rules are entirely what the British say they're going to be, on any particular day, and if there's any dispute about the rules it's going to be sorted out by the British Government?"

Brexit Secretary David Davis replied: "Of course there will be agreements between us, and they will be arbitrated by an organisation which we agree between us—not normally the European Court of Justice."
                                We never agreed to the European Court of Justice then? Oh maybe he means we'll have arbitration we agree to with the US, China, EU. That's going to go well.

Ken Clarke unfortunately looks his age (76). We really need him.

Comment

Taking back Parliamentary control!

Theresa May dodges Anna Soubry's question about Parliament getting a white paper to discuss on Brexit aims before we do Article 50. That speech yesterday, that was it.

I wish there were hundreds of "hear hears" from the Opposition to Soubry's question. There weren't.

Comment

(not to mention it's a bit iffy to go around questioning female politicians sartorial choices
                                    No it isn't, in general. It's a sensitive area where comments can shade into sexism or even misogyny, so care is needed, but there's no way that cabinet ministers, male* or female, should be immune from criticism with regard to their work attire. One of their jobs is to represent us, the people. And (while noting that this isn't the photo, or the person, comments on which you were querying) I find it embarrassing to be represented by a woman who strides along in a hideous eyesore of a cross between a suit and a pair of pajamas, as our deluded and disastrous Prime Minister is doing in the Times front page photo above. Obviously it's a minor and trivial embarrassment compared to the shame and disgrace which her government's policy, in substance and in tone, is bringing on our country, but it's a real additional source of irritation.

* although the male politician most in need of a sartorial rubbishing is the current "Leader" of the "Opposition".

Comment

Hahaha - the Irish News reports that one immigration option being considered is moving the Border to the Irish Sea - the Unionists will love going through customs every time they visit the "mainland"!

Comment

Diable Rouge wrote: Hahaha - the Irish News reports that one immigration option being considered is moving the Border to the Irish Sea - the Unionists will love going through customs every time they visit the "mainland"!
                                        They weren't too pleased last time it happened.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: The query was to Kev7's post. I don't see what's wrong with the photo he's posting (not to mention it's a bit iffy to go around questioning female politicians sartorial choices).
                                          I completely get where you're coming from. but I think it would be worthy of comment if a male cabinet minister dressed in the sort of cheap shapeless suit that I used to wear back 10 years ago when my diet was about 65% guinness and 20% kebab. So when a female minister wears the same suit, I don't know if it is less or more worthy of comment.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Taking back Parliamentary control!

Theresa May dodges Anna Soubry's question about Parliament getting a white paper to discuss on Brexit aims before we do Article 50. That speech yesterday, that was it.

I wish there were hundreds of "hear hears" from the Opposition to Soubry's question. There weren't.
                                            Why?

Even if there had of been, not as if 220 more of them are eventually going to have the gumption to ultimately stop Brexit.

Comment

GCostanza wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                              Taking back Parliamentary control!

Why?

Even if there had of been, not as if 220 more of them are eventually going to have the gumption to ultimately stop Brexit.
                                              I dont see how anybody, least of all a confident Brexiteer, can object to a white paper level of detail. We don't even know if Article 50 can be revoked- which some people might feel important.

I'm still not sure how it's acceptable to call it while the Germans and French are going to be distracted by elections at home. Do we really want to waste months with them telling their Kippers we can fuck off?

Comment

Hahaha - the Irish News reports that one immigration option being considered is moving the Border to the Irish Sea - the Unionists will love going through customs every time they visit the "mainland"!
                                                You tell the unionists that the border is moving to the Irish Sea and they will go absolutely apeshit.

More proof that the Tories never really understood the peace process.

Comment

A "classic liberal" reckons you could be coming out with us.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/01/13/ireland-and-the-uk-joined-the-eec-together-should-they-leave-the-eu-together-too/

"Classic liberal" is how Toby Young describes himself.

Comment

I travel regularly between England and NI both by air and land/sea. Customs checks would be interesting not least given that current security is pretty much non-existent, at least at Fortwilliam Ferryport.

AP's broadly right, but on the other hand you can't let the Shinners and Dupes dictate every policy. This is the place where the current 'crisis' issues aren't health, education and housing but a language nobody speaks, murder investigations nobody wants to reveal their own complicity, a glorified county council nobody needs and OK, gay marriage.

On the dress code thing, TM's rollergirl jammies made me laugh out loud. Whatever any sexism, she makes that Mad Witch Arlene Fosters UJ scarf look almost tasteful.

PS that guy from Slugger is a regular on the BBC NI talk shows, along with the local Green and UKIP leaders. SF and DUP don't often deign to let Fatty Nolan bully them.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X