No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

The fee for the Netherlands doesn't include the 3000 euros for the compulsory 'integration course' and 'integration test'. Oh and you must give up your other nationality. The whole thing screams F OFF.

Total fees for Sweden came to 100 euros. And no test. And you can keep your other nationality.

Comment

Could Tax Haven Little England hurt iScotland though? It'll be shit overall for every country, but "come here, pay much less tax, and get tariff free access to where you're selling far more than you do to the EU" could be very tempting.

Comment

There's no way that the sort of thing May is talking about is going to happen. The EU won't hack it, and it won't get through Parliament, particularly the Lords, whenever it comes to it - which is likely to be years off, and frankly nothing any politician is saying today will matter.

We won't be leaving the EU. For lots of different reasons, MPs are saying 'we have to respect the will of the people' at the moment, but it's not gonna happen. And all of us getting all anxious/angry about what might happen at the end of the most complicated negotiations the world's ever seen can relax.

There's a bit of positivity for you.

Comment

this ridiculous Citizenship test or Life in the Uk (or whatever the fuck it's called)
          It's called "Our Island Story", or should be.

A bloke on another board used to be involved with it. It had plenty of useful stuff, but that got represented as "lessons in how to claim benefits". Hence it got changed to something more "patriotic".

Comment

johnr wrote: There's no way that the sort of thing May is talking about is going to happen. The EU won't hack it, and it won't get through Parliament, particularly the Lords, whenever it comes to it - which is likely to be years off, and frankly nothing any politician is saying today will matter.

We won't be leaving the EU. For lots of different reasons, MPs are saying 'we have to respect the will of the people' at the moment, but it's not gonna happen. And all of us getting all anxious/angry about what might happen at the end of the most complicated negotiations the world's ever seen can relax.

And much appreciated!

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
              Originally posted by johnr
              There's no way that the sort of thing May is talking about is going to happen. The EU won't hack it, and it won't get through Parliament, particularly the Lords, whenever it comes to it - which is likely to be years off, and frankly nothing any politician is saying today will matter.

And much appreciated!
              I don't really know who Ian Dunt is, but I've just come across his article, which is the sort of thing that backs up my positivity.

Comment

Cheers.

He's good on this issue.

Comment

I know that median OTFer is bigger leftist than Karl Marx (and now spending time looking for new home so pretty busy now) but maybe it's possible to have some comments about Dominic Cummings post? I'd be more interested (and appreciate it) if comments'll be about some specific factual bullshit (if applicable) not that Dominic is second coming of Satan.

I read it from A to Z so I'm not asking for briefing me about it :-)

Comment

I'll make a hopeful prediction. Paul Nuttall isn't up to it for UKIP. None of Farage's cheeky chappy appeal, and the media won't want him on however "controversial" he is. And obviously lightweight just as the public is going get much more knowledgeable.

The problem is that May will likely get a load of his voters. Which isn't that hopeful.

Comment

Carwyn Jones looks like he's at least winking Single Market but it would be better if he said it, like Leanne Wood does.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/carwyn-jones-insists-national-assembly-12467827

He assures Wood that Wales could unilaterally bring in much higher standards than England. That'll work. Business, come to Wales! Out of the Single Market, and with higher costs than England.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: I'll make a hopeful prediction. Paul Nuttall isn't up to it for UKIP. None of Farage's cheeky chappy appeal, and the media won't want him on however "controversial" he is. And obviously lightweight just as the public is going get much more knowledgeable.

The problem is that May will likely get a load of his voters. Which isn't that hopeful.
                        Tubby, you were doing so well...

Yes, she's going for the Kipper vote here. But they'll get angry with her when she can't deliver.

Comment

I know that median OTFer is bigger leftist than Karl Marx (and now spending time looking for new home so pretty busy now)
                          Nah, the median OTFer is standard liberal-left. I think Geoffrye might be the only proper Marxist on here (I'm a sort of faint-hearted one but a bit too much of a lily-livered reformist overall)

Comment

johnr wrote:
                            Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                            I'll make a hopeful prediction. Paul Nuttall isn't up to it for UKIP. None of Farage's cheeky chappy appeal, and the media won't want him on however "controversial" he is. And obviously lightweight just as the public is going get much more knowledgeable.

Tubby, you were doing so well...

Yes, she's going for the Kipper vote here. But they'll get angry with her when she can't deliver.
                            I hope they do. She'll probably get marks for trying from some of them, sadly, and it'll be someone else's fault. Choose any three from liberal judges, Scotland, Tim Farron, the Foreign Office, the Franco-German alliance, the BBC, Gary Lineker..

Comment

Or maybe Father Teesdale- the priest in Hot Metal who becomes Public Enemy Number One.

Comment

So what are people's views on what should happen next? Am coming round to the idea that MPs should just vote against May's deal now, but I can't say I'm 100%

Comment

There's no point in voting against a deal now, as she hasn't got one. Or have I got 'now' wrong?

And Tubbs, please stop mentioning Hot Metal, you know I can't find it on Youtube...

Comment

I'll send it some time, John, after I've watched the 2nd series again.

I think MPs need to block Article 50 until something better than "tax haven Britain" comes up. I think there's enough cover for that.

Comment

The Dáil has officially invited May to address it in a fortnight, when she visits Dublin, so expect more malleable platitudes.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: I'll send it some time, John, after I've watched the 2nd series again.

I think MPs need to block Article 50 until something better than "tax haven Britain" comes up. I think there's enough cover for that.
                                        That's very kind of you (though I wasn't hinting!).

I think Art 50 is too early for the block; only when everybody has a couple of years to realise how shit it is will they get away with it - if they go for Art 50 most of the deal will be speculation, and the public won't buy it. Go for what Dunt said...the shitstorm is so big, they can't deliver at the end of it anyway.

Comment

Johnr: first episode begins here.

3 parter, links to following parts on the right of that page.

Comment

I'm more hopeful for Copeland, FWIW.

A Tory vote is a vote for "tax haven Britain. Did any of you vote for that?"

Comment

Labour's last jocko standing in Westminster first admits today that this Brexit will hang the economy, then calls on the Nats to call off the IndyRef drums, cos, stability. Their policy is so incoherent and stupid. Dugdale was actually sensible pre ref saying that Brexit may mean having to look at independence. Instead they're chasing the Jaffa vote along with the bastard Tories.

And the usual sensible unionist voices (David Torrance, Iain Martin, Jamie Ross etc) crowing over Sturgeon's IndyRef 'more likely' schtick. Seems sensible not to pull the trigger till May shoots down all the Scottish Govt's demands, and prob till the German elections are over and it's clear we're up for a torrid anal hammering. But yeah she's just bluffing. They called the first ref with support at only 30%.

Fuck yis (not you lot of course. Except for that LukeR cunt). Part of me (the bit that shouts at the telly) would really like some mentally ill Nationalist weirdo school teacher and a wayward Marxist (Tommy Sheridan as a shit sandwich James Connolly?) stage some hopeless, brutally suppressed insurrection in Glasgow. Yourselves Alone.

Comment

I'm all right with the insurrection. Independence will give our lot a boost as John Redwood gets his Barnett back and poaches Scottish businesses who do most of their trade with England.

Comment

Grand so. We'll take your Tech (which will die in skilless, immigrant unfriendly rUK) and Financial services then.

Jesus, David McAllister is on Sky news now, posh Scots crossed with German accent sounds like John Cale. It's like "the Gift" on White Light White Heat.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: Johnr: first episode begins here.

3 parter, links to following parts on the right of that page.
                                                    Gero, thank you very much, I might be on that after Lincoln v Ipswich.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X