No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reminder of the people that Cameron pissed away EU membership for.

Gerard Batten MEP‏Verified account
    @GerardBattenMEP
    English is not taught in our schools, and hasn't been for decades. It's the story of who we are, and that is deliberately suppressed.
    He means English history, but he's still talking rubbish.

Comment

Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 14-10-2017, 15:52.

Comment

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 14-10-2017, 16:06.

Comment

I realized I was a bit harsh, because Brexit is mentioned there, so it's more of what I want to see.

But it could be so much better. We're talking about digital technology here- tie that into leaving the imminent Digital Single Market, which ought to have been a huge boost to our economy.

Missing out on that, but having a cooperative Uber doesn't excite me all that much.

Comment

And still far too weak on getting the "Brexit papers" released.

I remember Miliband really hitting the government over the suppressed Risk Register for the NHS restructuring. And this time the Minister not releasing the papers has a history of championing FoI. Corbyn Tweeting out this would be very useful.

Comment

What the UK thinks of Europe, according to Google auto-complete:

https://i.redd.it/9xnmjmgxozrz.png

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                What the UK thinks of Europe, according to Google auto-complete:

https://i.redd.it/9xnmjmgxozrz.png
                Interesting. The question of why the country of Turkey is better than chicken is quite the metaphysical puzzler...

Comment

Is this right? It's written by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, who isn't the most reliable.

Comment

This is what's really worrying me.

Law and policy‏
                    @davidallengreen
                    Follow Follow @davidallengreen
                    notion that parliament can vote down a "no deal" Brexit is logically absurd.
                    "No deal" is the default. Parliamentary vote meaningless.
                    Can anybody explain how it's supposed to work?

Comment

As usual, Green's position makes sense to me.

But definition, there is no deal for Parliament to approve in a cliff edge Brexit. It is simply the result of time having run out on the infernal machine that was set in motion with the article 50 notification.

If Parliament wants to avoid that, the only route I see availabile is to bring down a government committed to bring it about.

Comment

I mean, if I was Corbyn, I'd be talking much more about EFTA but we can't, by Parliamentary vote, join that. The Prime Minister is in complete control of our end.

Do you have any more freedom with state aid in EFTA? Is there any way we can make him see EFTA as positive?

edit- I'm not being as mean as I sometimes am to him here. We could easily have a Labour leader leading the charge out because immigration.
                        Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 16-10-2017, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          As usual, Green's position makes sense to me.

But definition, there is no deal for Parliament to approve in a cliff edge Brexit. It is simply the result of time having run out on the infernal machine that was set in motion with the article 50 notification.

If Parliament wants to avoid that, the only route I see availabile is to bring down a government committed to bring it about.
                          Yeah, that's how I see it. We can no more bind the EU to make a deal than Greece could vote to make austerity go away.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

That's the plan...

Comment

I'd be delighted with that, obviously, but the clock's still ticking. The new government would have to get a deal.

Comment

John Redwood's been to the supermarket. He's confident about this food thing.

What would happen if everybody wanted to buy this same British stuff, John?

Comment

Redwood is also putting the blame for no deal on the EU, if his interview on the radio this morning is anything to go by.

Comment

More furious spinning from No. 10 to that effect. Note that the thing which is supposed to merit EU concessions is the UK continuing to pay budget contributions while it continues to have all the benefits of EU membership. Meanwhile the EU is supposed to be at fault for deadlock over the exit bill when the UK won't even put an offer on the table.

Comment

Blaming the other side isn't quite the get out it normally is. The markets don't care whose fault it is, and will hit the UK anyway. And Carney is watching, ready to raise interest rates- though not sure that's the right thing to do.

Comment

Peter Baxendale-Thomas tells Grayling he's talking rubbish about farming.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...issed-as-tripe

Comment

This is a sign of how badly things are going.

Comment

I mean, when you get 42.4% of the vote and only 48.8% of the seats, you've been really hard done by.

Labour got 40.3% of the vote and 40% of the seats.

Comment

OECD: "Have another referendum and stop this, you dozy fuckers"
                                              (I paraphrase)

Meanwhile, one of Merkel's advisers says that the major problem seems to Boris fucking Johnson and his desperation to put the spanner into any possible point of negotiation

Comment

That's probably not an uncommon view among Theresa May's advisers.

Poll shows C2DE voters less keen on Brexit than they were. Feeling the pinch already?

Comment

Radio 5 managed to get an awfully optimistic waffley professor of economics on this morning who seemed to think absence of a trade deal was OK because it would only mean tariffs of 3.5%. An hour later they admitted they had booked a member of "Economists for Brexit" and neglected to mention it when introducing him.

Comment

It was Patrick Minford. Enough said.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X