The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done, Brexit Lincolnshire.

Up to 500 jobs are at risk at a manufacturing plant in Stamford which is set to close.

Cummins Generator Technologies said it will shut its facility in Barnack Road in the next 12 months.

The company, which makes generators, said despite investment the site was unsustainable.

The Unite union, which represents workers at the plant, said it was a massive blow to the economy in Lincolnshire.

Unite regional officer Scott Lennon described the announced as "terrible news for the workers".

He said the company appeared to be blaming the state of the UK economy and Brexit for the decision.

"There are also proposals to move some production to Romania," he added

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
      Which will leave us with a "no-deal" that has no democratic mandate of any description. Control, there, having been Taken Back.
      Indeed.

Comment

Norman Tebbit's old union not happy.

“The entire UK aviation sector which employs nearly a million people and carries more than 250 million passengers per annum would be devastated by a Brexit ‘no deal’.

“Unlike most other sectors there are no World Trade Organisation or any other rules to fall back on for aviation if there is no deal.

“UK airlines could find they have to stop flying – it’s that serious. And this would impact passengers long before March 2019 because airlines couldn’t sell advance tickets and, frankly, would passengers risk buying them?

“It is utter madness for anyone to think that a Brexit ‘no deal’ would be anything but a total disaster for our world leading UK aviation sector and beyond. After all, without air cargo we will not be able to export or import freely. The entire industry has said that we have to see evidence of the post-Brexit plan for aviation now if we are to avert a catastrophic crisis of confidence.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          Well done, Brexit Lincolnshire.
          Source?

Comment

Meanwhile this no funding for contingency planning thing from Hammond is either a fucking disaster, or, extremely unlikely, a masterstroke. If he really does mean last minute, then we're even more fucked than we would otherwise be unless the government goes cap in hand to the EU27 and grovels to be allowed to revoke the Article 50 notification. Not sure why the Brexiters aren't more upset about that than about how May would vote in a non-existent referendum.

Comment

I think he's probably just trying to keep the cost of these preparations out of the Budget. The OBR have wiped out something like £17bn of his £26bn "war chest". He doesn't want the OBR making him provide for a couple more billion in no deal contingency.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                Source?
                Apologies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41512844

Comment

Chiz!

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                    Eh? Attlee's government massively expanded public services, at a time when the UK was completely broke.

What they couldn't do was pay for the health service and housing at the same time. Bevan chose health. The Tories stole housing as an issue and, under MacMillan, built hundreds of thousands of houses - many council-owned - per year.

If the Tories were going to reinvent the UK's housing market in favour of renters and young people, they might cleave off Labour's advantage. They won't though, because they're the Tories and that was a one-off. Thatcher regarded Macmillan as a doddering old fool.
                    you're confusing a couple of different things there. Yes the Atlee govt presided over a large expansion of the state in a number of areas, however a) it was only a fraction of what they promised b) what they did left so much undone that many people felt betrayed by the failure to deliver c) it was combined with utterly horrific austerity for much of the period as the US govt cut off all wartime lending and demanded repayment with the expressed duel purpose of tearing apart the British empire, but more importantly killing communism in the cradle. People who wanted to light churchill on fire for being a useless drunken monster in 1944 wound up voting for him in 1950 because they were so thoroughly disillusioned with what happened.

As it stands things are starting to spiral dangerously out of control and a new labour govt taking over now would wind up borrowing a fuckmountain of money to stay close to standing still. Even if there were to be a new govt with a mandate to end brexit tomorrow, the horrible effects of seven years of voluntary austerity, will be nothing to compared to the economic effects of a halted brexit, and a mere blip compared to the impacts of a real brexit.

People do not care of left wing governments become distracted by life or death struggles to protect what services still exist. They do not care if the government is successful in saving everything. They fuck them for not making everything magically better. (CF Obama) The scale of corbyn's promises and their total lack of connection to reality, might feel good to people who are raging at everything, but he wouldn't be able to deliver on them with a booming economy, nevermind in a shitpocalypse Shitnado, and they will be fucking furious when they find this out. What is going to happen then?

Comment

Labour just about won in 1950, and got more votes in 1951. But the Tories killed them in marginals.

Comment

Yeah Labour's vote was higher in 1951 than in 1945. We have a great electoral system

Comment

Interesting move by Leslie/Clark, check DAG twitter tl....

Comment

Yes, but Labour are taking this shit very, very seriously. The Guy Debord stuff is the tip of the iceberg; they're planning for this stuff intensively.

Comment

I don't get that Leslie-Clarke thing. Sure, it's apparently what she said in the Florence speech, but anybody paying attention can see she's all over the place in speeches. Ken Clarke and about 5 others will vote for it from the Tory side, and they'll get bailed out by Labour's Brexit blimps.

Comment

Am I missing something here, or are the Labour front bench doing precisely nothing about the government keeping secret advice on how shit Brexit's going to be?

I've looked at Starmer's Twitter. Clever lawyer bloke should be all over this, right? Can't see anything.

This isn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                  Am I missing something here, or are the Labour front bench doing precisely nothing about the government keeping secret advice on how shit Brexit's going to be?

I've looked at Starmer's Twitter. Clever lawyer bloke should be all over this, right? Can't see anything.

This isn't good enough.
                                  What- like this you mean?

Comment

I couldn't see that. Has it gone up in the last hour?

Shame the frontbench didn't sign the letter really. I've no idea why they wouldn't.

Comment

Ah, this is the reversible Article 50 thing, isn't it? So maybe caution that it looks like undoing the will of the people.

Comment

this is the demanding to see the impact reports. The article 50 thing is something else.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post

Had never heard of Gove's QPR connection
                                          Some recent Gove interactions with QPR fans:

"Surreal moment on way into work this morning.
                                          I can see in the distance someone jogging in a blue and white shirt. As he gets closer it was Michael Gove wearing a 70s retro QPR top.
                                          Didn't know whether to trip him up or say You Rsss, so did nothing."

"Me and Disco saw him in the Queen Adelaide last season , Gove had a look of horror and nearly shat himself when he saw Disco go over to shake his hand and give him a pep talk on politics , perhaps he thought he was going to be attacked.
                                          I did notice though how much his face looked like a spitting image doll close up."

"A few years ago, I was in work at the Guardian very early. About half seven I was nipping downstairs for a fag, and Gove and his adviser were walking up the stairs, presumably to meet the editor. Gove had a QPR scarf on, and I involuntarily called "You Rs!'. His adviser thought I was shouting "you arse" at him and stepped towards me. Gove pulled him back: "It's all right. It's a QPR thing. No need to worry."

Comment

What’s the 70’s film with Anthony Hopkins(?) where a ventriloquist’s doll drives him mad? That doll is the Govester.

Comment

Magic.

Comment

Shocked! Shocked, I tell you.
                                                Brexit talks are at a virtual political standstill, with no substantial advances made in the fifth round of negotiations, according to several diplomats briefed on the discussions.
                                                One of the main British concerns is how to maintain a sense of momentum in public
                                                Not actually having momentum, of course. Just giving a sense of it. Nice priorities, guys.

Comment

It now seems that openly supporting "No-deal Brexit" is the new badge of Tory hard-right virility. "Plan for this now! This can work! This must work! We want Dubai-with-rain now!" Which I suspected was always the plan of the hard-right, but I thought they'd be discreet and subtle about it, and pretend to be Shocked and Outraged at the EU, a bit later down the line. But no, they've got their cocks out early. It's an interesting strategy.

Comment

"Deadlock" on financial settlement, according to Barnier. On the other hand, he says it's still possible for a sufficient progress determination to be made in two months with enough political will. Davis seems to be pinning all his hopes on a changed negotiating mandate, which seems to be missing the point.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X