The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
    I've seen the polar opposite of this in our local Tesco where you can't buy English strawberries, only British strawberries or Scottish strawberries complete with saltire.
    On first reading, I missed the 'L' in the final word there, and thought your local Tesco was really off-brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
      I presumed this was because in Scotland folk might not buy stuff labelled English, whereas south of the border we're not fussed. Like in Scottish hotels they dont serve a full English. They serve a full Scottish, which is the same thing plus a packet of oatcake or porridge on the table.
      I'm going to be charitable and assume this is an attempt at a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

I'm going to be charitable and assume this is an attempt at a joke.
        Slightly tongue in cheek perhaps but the point remains - supermarkets marketing stuff as British that happens to be Welsh or Scottish are doing the same with English items too. It's no big conspiracy or owt to get bent out of shape over.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
          Yet another example of Angela Merkel's good judgement then.
          https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1338124603055542275?s=20

Comment

A complicit media has been central to the goal of no deal.

Comment

I still don't understand why the Tories are ignoring the wishes of many business leaders, many of whom are presumably as right wing as they are, from actively seeking some sort of deal, however flawed.

Comment

Looking at the papers today you'd think it was all the meaniepie Europeans fault. But then I heard Johnson talking about the negotiations and it's clear he has been promoted above his competency level. He insisted at the end that everything would be really really great for the UK but it sounded desperate.

Comment

That's because it is desperate. He has to keep leave voters onside for the final push for no deal, otherwise he can't deliver a tanked economy for the disaster capitalists who have a vested interest in it.

Comment

I may have refused to watch televised news for 18 months but thanks to twitter I'm still losing my will to understand this process.

I know I shouldn't expect much from our present "government", especially after the last nine months, but as Imp has said here or elsewhere I still expected them to muster up some of that "Great Britsih Common Sense" they claim OUR SAINTED NATION possesses

I might not be losing the will to understand if I could see a hint of contrition or humility but minister after minister cannot help but imply that nothing is their party's fault. They may have called referendum that produced an inconclusive result and manipulated the aftermath but this situation is not of their making oh no.

Today Raab felt able to brush aside the Tory quotes mentioned by Marr (quotes that directly contradict their present position) to blame the EU for "moving the goalposts". It's refreshing to know that in spite of OUR SAINTED NATION spending 50 years as the member of an organisation our present "government" still isn't sure of the organisation's position or its approach to negotiations.

If they were up for the challenge OUR SAINTED NATION's negotiating team could have scoured twitter for free advice about the negotiating process, For example I saw a clip of a Spanish politician speaking on Sky News earlier today. Apparently a trade deal is more about managing interdependence than asserting independence, apparently people will be able to work out that you're acting as A SAINTED INDEPENDENT NATION when they see you trying to negotiate a trade deal with an organisation that you'd left in a high profile manner 11 months earlier.
                    Last edited by Kowalski; 14-12-2020, 17:27.

Comment

I don't know if I am being overly melodramatic, but you would have thought that some of the Tory grandees would also have considered that they may be actually be creating a potential Revolutionary Situation and they can be unpredictable.

Comment

The BBC pretends that "balance" means you can't call a lie a lie. The inevitable outcome of this is that lying becomes the only mode of government. It's like the broadcaster is in permanent Falklands-era propaganda mode.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-12-2020, 21:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          But then I heard Johnson talking about the negotiations and it's clear he has been promoted above his competency level.
                          If Johnson was tasked with mopping the jizz out of a video booth in Amsterdam he'd still have been promoted above his competency level.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                            If Johnson was tasked with mopping the jizz out of a video booth in Amsterdam he'd still have been promoted above his competency level.
                            Thanks but no thanks; we don't want him. He'll remain Britain's problem for the time being.

Comment

Laura Kuennsberg and Robert Peston would ensure it was spotless and there were great images of Johnson with rubber gloves

Andrew Marr here, interrupting Ed Miliband every time he takes a breath, and quite often when he doesn't

https://twitter.com/benevans_ATAC/status/1338175875637014530?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                I don't know if I am being overly melodramatic, but you would have thought that some of the Tory grandees would also have considered that they may be actually be creating a potential Revolutionary Situation and they can be unpredictable.
                                Because they were disenfranchised before the last election. The old patrician Tories have either died out or have just gone back to the City to feather their own nests.

Comment

I know there's a lot fewer of them in the Commons and suppose that's all that really counts rather than the men in grey suits of popular imagination.

Comment

Kelvin Mackenzie with some dog whistling, he and the responder should be prosecuted for this racist nonsense.

Comment

I fucked if I know why we should need sympathy from Kelvin and his buddy anyway.

Comment

He should come here and say that.

On the topic of less informed english commentators venturing into Irish subjects, Youtube thinks I want to watch Owen Jones Lick Mary lou mcDonald's arse for 42 minutes in his latest podcast. Maybe youtube has overheard me saying "Owen Jones has the mind and judgement of a reasonably bright 13 year old" and drawn the wrong conclusions.

Comment

Germany will invade or something without the Plucky Brits there to protect us. I hope we get a decent U-Bahn out of it so.

Comment

Imagine being able to out-cunt Kelvin Mackenzie. Imagine that.

Comment

Is yer man a famous cunt or just a no-mark gammon?

Comment

No surprise that Kelvin Mackenzie is ignorant. 70,000 Irish citizens fought in the British Army in World War II. What a dip.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  Is yer man a famous cunt or just a no-mark gammon?
                                                  Second one.

EDIT: Twitter account locked. Can't imagine why that would be, the ignorant wank.

Comment

We’ve been inviting him to Liverpool for 30 odd years and he still hasn’t shown face.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X