The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting analysis.
    everyone knows a deal is needed but no Tory wants to be the one responsible- because it will kill their leadership chances

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1330166337327476746?s=21

Comment

Not much German required to get the gist of this article:

https://twitter.com/NickGibbs/status/1330850414917455873

Comment

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1334269946751311876

Comment

Is No Deal now a nailed on certainty?

Comment

It's more likely than not.

Comment

It'll be a shit deal so Johnson can stand down having delivered Brexit and beaten Covid. And as usual, someone else will have to clean up the mess.

Comment

Four weeks to go and nobody has got a fucking clue what's happening. Stock up on things you can stockpile and need. Brexit plus the post Christmas Covid-19 spike is going to create a perfect storm to fuck this country up for a generation or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                  Four weeks to go and nobody has got a fucking clue what's happening.
                  Ahem, I think that you will find that everyone knows what is happening. There are advertising campaigns on telly about it telling me to "be prepared" and I've received a couple of mailings from the UK Government saying that I have to "be prepared" for the transition. So any business who says that they have no idea what to do is absolutely wrong. The answer is "Be prepared!"

Comment

A nation of scouts.

Comment

Or hyenas.

Comment

https://twitter.com/anandMenon1/status/1334777828756303873?s=20

Forgot to add "successfully weaponising the issue against Jeremy Corbyn"

Comment

He's just seeking attention and trying to reinvent himself in time for the new dark age. The people who voted to remain and didn't immediately start pushing for a second referendum are still the biggest group of suckers and rubes in the history of the UK since the end of the peasants revolt when everyone said "That seems reasonable". The worst are those who pushed back against the attempts for a second referendum, for reasons of doomed triangulation, and don't ever forget that.

There was only ever going to be one end point for this. There are two types of laws and rights that people in the UK have. There were those that a Tory Govt with an overall majority could extinguish overnight, and there were those laws and rights that they had to leave the EU to extinguish. This is the point of Brexit. You were always going to end up at this point, and any attempt to reach a less damaging form of brexit was always going to be washed away after Boris johnson replaced Theresa may.

Comment

In fact, you can precisely date the point at which any attempt to mitigate Brexit was lost, and that was the 17th of January, 2017, with Theresa May's Lancaster House speech - up until that point, the 27 were trying to convince the UK to remain in the Single Market, and afterwards, the Opposition could never persuade sufficient Tories to gel around an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                              In fact, you can precisely date the point at which any attempt to mitigate Brexit was lost, and that was the 17th of January, 2017, with Theresa May's Lancaster House speech - up until that point, the 27 were trying to convince the UK to remain in the Single Market, and afterwards, the Opposition could never persuade sufficient Tories to gel around an alternative.
                              You mean the speech that prompted the start of this thread?

Comment

I can't see any difference between May's position on the front page of this thread and Johnson's now. The same lies and blackmail were being used. She perhaps softened her tone after losing her majority and needing the votes of Tory remainers, which led to a strategy of kicking the can down the road every few months, but the preference for No Deal over anything sensible was always there.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-12-2020, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

You mean the speech that prompted the start of this thread?
                                  Indeed, everything else was merely a vain hope.

Comment

Meanwhile, it seems the average Tory member is extremely ephemeral in their political thinking, if Liz Truss is top of the popularity stakes - suspect Sunak will slide sharply when the furloughs are rolled back:

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      the preference for No Deal over anything sensible was always there
                                      Even the French agree. Cl?ment Beaune, France’s European affairs minister and a close ally of president Emmanuel Macron, said his country could act unilaterally if the terms were not right: "I still hope we can have a deal but I also say to our fishermen, to our producers, to our citizens, that we won’t accept a bad deal."

Comment

I think one thing that graph shows is that Gove will never be party leader. Although I suspect he as seen enough skeletons in closets and has enough dirt to keep him in key roles whoever is in charge.

Comment

The fact that Priti fucking Patel is +49 tells you all you need to know about conservative party members, collectively.

Comment

In fairness to Truss, she has actually delivered something in her brief, even if trade agreements with Alexander the Great aren't exactly anything to shout about.

Comment

She hasn't. We had 40 trade agreements "in the bag" two years ago according to Digby Jones. About 35 short by my counting.

Comment

Not very good update from Barnier...

Comment

https://twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1334939381854040064?s=20

Comment

Just watched Channel 4 News. This is not going to be a surprise to anyone who has met, listened to or even heard of him, but Andrew Bridgen is an odiously disrespectful little cunt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X