No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

fucking stupid cunt. (tubby's guy)

Comment

You starting, baldy?

Comment

http://www.euronews.com/2017/01/18/hsbc-to-move-1000-staff-from-london-to-paris-after-brexit

The top boss of HSBC has said it is planning to move some staff from London to Paris following Britain’s exit from the European Union.

Chief Executive Stuart Gulliver revealed that in interviews at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

He said that Europe’s biggest bank would likely look to shift around 1,000 workers who generate around 20 percent of its trading revenue.
        I think he's crazy enough to do it.

Comment

yeah but the food in london

Comment

Warm beer.

Comment

DG did you hear Edwin poots' 23 minute tour de force on the stephen nolan show? I put it up on my facebook feed. It was amazing. He was saying that the DUP was never going to implement an Irish language bill because they never agreed to implement it, even though it was in the st andrews agreement that they fucking signed.

So for about a steady ten minutes he just keeps repeating that at no point did the DUP agree to implement an irish language act. and that signing the st Andrews agreement did not commit the DUP to implementing it, because it was a side deal between tony Blair and Gerry Adams, and it was up to those two people to deliver it and it had nothing to do with the DUP, and that even though they signed a binding agreement with the irish language act in it, they didn't

So the Irish language act is relevant to the current rows not because people are failing to focus on the big issues, but because the DUP are untrustworthy bigotted moronic scum, who refuse to implement devolution and honestly don't care about how insane they look to the outside world, because they're nothing but a bunch of undemocratic backwards Shit eating moronic cunts.

That radio interview made a big impression on me. Poots is simply too stupid, or too proud of what he was doing to conceal that the DUP were refusing point blank to implement the St Andrews Agreement, and the Sinn Fein Guy Connor something or other only said about seven words, content to allow poots make every single point about the DUP's outrageous bad faith, and naked sectarianism.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/18/decline-eu-workers-hitting-uk-agriculture-lords-inquiry-told

Well done Tory and Kipper farmers.

Written evidence submitted by the National Farmers Union shows that the Brexit vote has caused serious recruitment difficulties for British agriculture.

“The results of the first three quarters of the 2016 NFU Labour Provider Survey found that there was a dramatic change in labour availability within the space of nine months, clearly showing the deterioration in the ability to maintain EU labour in the horticulture sector,” said the NFU in its evidence to the House of Lords committee.

The survey found that in the first three months of 2016 100% of labour providers reported being able to recruit the right number of seasonal workers. By the end of June this had fallen to 87%. By the end of September it had dropped to 40%, with 60% saying they were unable to meet the demand for labour in the sectors they were supplying. By the end of September nearly 85% of the seasonal labour force in British agriculture was from Romania or Bulgaria.
                "So we raised the wages a lot, and lots of British people turned up and worked twice as fast as the Poles. We're now going to be exporting far more", nobody added.

Comment

I heard the interview, I'm afraid. I know I shouldn't encourage them but...as you have heard since, ex-Labour viceroy Peter Hain came on the next slot and basically agreed with Poots, ie a setpiece photo op was more important than that anybody/ everybody agreed with everything in it

We're at cross purposes here. No-one denies the DUP are jumped up local councillors who like acting the cunt, but that's not the main reason the Irish Language is being argued about. Close to nobody in Puckoon or the Gaytacht speaks the fcuking thing. It's an infantile debate at any time at any level of parish pump government.

Comment

The request for more subsidy won't be far behind.

As genial Fascist Alan Clark once said, forget your "claimants union" and "industrialists" Nobody is as bad for asking you for money as "fucking farmers".

Comment

What does the Irish Language Act actually involve? Will the kids of the Shankill be forcefully bussed to fucking Mayo every summer? A few changes to train station/road signs etc has cost fuck all in Scotland but the Tories up there never stop banging on about it (and ahistorically, when they say it was "never" spoken below the Forth Clyde line, pretty much all of Scotland (barring the Northern Isles), even Lothian, had at least a few centuries of Gaelic hegemony). There does seem an edge of ethnic friction whenever some folk are exposed to Irish/Gaelic. Even if the language is obviously dying I don't see the problem with a small subsidy to slightly prolong its life. There's no need to be as cunty toward minority languages as, say, the French.

The only times it pisses me off is when I'm smartphone-less in an unfamiliar part of Dublin and have to decipher the Irish only bus timetables at the stop (where helpfully only the start/end of the route is in English). I pity the newly arrived Brazillian trying to make out where the fuck they are supposed to be heading. Make them bilingual ffs.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: The request for more subsidy won't be far behind.

As genial Fascist Alan Clark once said, forget your "claimants union" and "industrialists" Nobody is as bad for asking you for money as "fucking farmers".
                        Heh, I might spare a solitary tear for the agri businesses and chinless three name bastard landowners of Norfolk who gobble up half the subsidies as they are forced into a subsidy less NZ style farming model. Taking back control indeed.

Maybe the collapse in their cushy lifestyle might save that flat hellhole from having all its topsoil from being blown into the sea (seeing as they are so much smarter than the lazy Dutch and have removed most of the trees and hedgerows that mitigate the process somewhat, in the drive to Iowa style massive monoculture fields), at least for a few more years, and then rising sea levels should take care of them completely anyways.

Comment

Didn't Transport Scotland get a load of signs bundled in with the Scotrail contract? I can imagine that being basically free.

More than a touch of friction when some Welsh people come into contact with the Welsh language.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote:
                            Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs

Heh, I might spare a solitary tear for the agri businesses and chinless three name bastard landowners of Norfolk who gobble up half the subsidies as they are forced into a subsidy less NZ style farming model. Taking back control indeed.

Maybe the collapse in their cushy lifestyle might save that flat hellhole from having all its topsoil from being blown into the sea (seeing as they are so much smarter than the lazy Dutch and have removed most of the trees and hedgerows that mitigate the process somewhat, in the drive to Iowa style massive monoculture fields), at least for a few more years, and then rising sea levels should take care of them completely anyways.
                            That book Brilliant Orange IIRC connects the way the Dutch make the most of their precarious land with their ability to pass the football about.

New Zealanders and real Iowans might cause a few problems for some of our chaps.

Comment

Aye Tubbs, and the new roadsigns in Gaelic then English up in them there Heilands cost almost nothing bar the translation as they only phase them in when the old signs need replaced. That doesn't stop dog whistle proto-DUP Scotch Tory bastard MSPs like Murdo Fraser banging on about them but.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                Originally posted by Lang Spoon

That book Brilliant Orange IIRC connects the way the Dutch make the most of their precarious land with their ability to pass the football about.

New Zealanders and real Iowans might cause a few problems for some of our chaps.
                                NZ will be the worst place in the world to conduct a trade deal with, seeing as they pretty much only have agri stuff to offer the UK, and they will be in no hurry to open their market up to UK agriculture without a reciprocal lack of subsidy to the UK's proud farmers/leeches on the State. And they are fucking miles away, they will never replace Ireland as an agricultural importer to the UK (outside their cheap frozen sheeps).

I really enjoyed Brilliant Orange at the time, but the abject bollocks of everything else I've read by Winner makes me think I shouldn't revisit it. See also Kuper, Simon.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: What does the Irish Language Act actually involve? Will the kids of the Shankill be forcefully bussed to fucking Mayo every summer? A few changes to train station/road signs etc has cost fuck all in Scotland but the Tories up there never stop banging on about it (and ahistorically, when they say it was "never" spoken below the Forth Clyde line, pretty much all of Scotland (barring the Northern Isles), even Lothian, had at least a few centuries of Gaelic hegemony). There does seem an edge of ethnic friction whenever some folk are exposed to Irish/Gaelic. Even if the language is obviously dying I don't see the problem with a small subsidy to slightly prolong its life. There's no need to be as cunty toward minority languages as, say, the French.

The only times it pisses me off is when I'm smartphone-less in an unfamiliar part of Dublin and have to decipher the Irish only bus timetables at the stop (where helpfully only the start/end of the route is in English). I pity the newly arrived Brazillian trying to make out where the fuck they are supposed to be heading. Make them bilingual ffs.
                                  It seems to be mostly about giving the language official legal standing there, given that the actual revival up North is being done by voluntary groups (even if many of their members have close ties to SF). Even the Alliance and NI Greens seem to have signed up to it at this stage, so give it another generation, and the UUP may follow suit.

Comment

Brilliant Orange had some good bits in, I recall. Just the "space" thing which was dubious. Next time I see Bangladesh play cricket, I'll expect them to be very good at threading their off drives through the field and judging quick singles.

Kuper can be good in his FT column. But I think it was him who made a huge deal about Espanyol being Spanish not Catalan. When I dropped this into a conversation with someone from Barcelona, they told me they just saw Espanyol as that smaller team that some people support.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Brilliant Orange had some good bits in, I recall. Just the "space" thing which was dubious. Next time I see Bangladesh play cricket, I'll expect them to be very good at threading their off drives through the field and judging quick singles.

Kuper can be good in his FT column. But I think it was him who made a huge deal about Espanyol being Spanish not Catalan. When I dropped this into a conversation with someone from Barcelona, they told me they just saw Espanyol as that smaller team that some people support.
                                      There is a wee bit of that with Espanyol, a lot of their core support is from the immediate suburbs of BCN like L'Hospitalet (filled up by Franco with immigrants from the rest of Spain). And even before that miserable bastard's reign, I'm told they got a lot of their original support from the Andalusian migrants to Catalunya, who performed a similar role in Catalan industry (ie worked to the bone by smug middle class bastards speaking a different language who thought them barely better than dogs) to the Irish in Britain around the same time (or maybe half a century earlier, if we're talking about different languages between the Irish and teh Brits).

Though I'd say the fireworks let off in celebration around the less solid middle class parts of Barcelona whenever Madrid score in the Clasico has more to do with winding up their Socio neighbours than any kind of Rangers style attachment to Espain and the King.

Comment

Heck, nearly 1 million Andalusians in Catalonia in 1975.

Comment

Nah, that's balls. What the Irish language act is about doesn't matter one little bit. It could about encouraging goat rape, and it wouldn't make a fucking difference. The sole and only issue here is that the DUP have consistently refused to implement the St Andrews Agreement, which underpins the entire executive, because they are stupid bigoted sectarian cunts, this is just the clearest example.

Devolution can't work because the DUP are so bigoted, short sighted and stupid that it simply can't function, and they're corrupt in such an embarrassingly childish way that someone might even eventually go to jail, because that's what happens when stupid people try and commit fraud. They just want devolution for themselves, and everyone else can go and get fucked.

One of the funniest bits in that interview is when Edwin Poots initially announces that the Irish language bill will cost up to £20 billion a year, and in fairness I was impressed by the devotion of the Northern Ireland assembly to the revival of the irish language but he later adjusted that to 20 million a year, which is literally nothing, but to be honest even discussing what the bill is about at all is basically to engage in the NI equivalent of banging on about benghazi or the Emails.

Poots is basically saying that Sinn fein are trying to destroy arlene foster because the DUP are disrespecting them over the Irish language. that makes them about as smart as luis suarez, who is the last villain to use this spectacularly stupid defence.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                            Originally posted by GCostanza
                                            Taking back Parliamentary control!

Theresa May dodges Anna Soubry's question about Parliament getting a white paper to discuss on Brexit aims before we do Article 50. That speech yesterday, that was it.

I wish there were hundreds of "hear hears" from the Opposition to Soubry's question. There weren't.
                                            Why?

Even if there had of been, not as if 220 more of them are eventually going to have the gumption to ultimately stop Brexit.
                                            I dont see how anybody, least of all a confident Brexiteer, can object to a white paper level of detail. We don't even know if Article 50 can be revoked- which some people might feel important.

I'm still not sure how it's acceptable to call it while the Germans and French are going to be distracted by elections at home. Do we really want to waste months with them telling their Kippers we can fuck off?
                                            Sorry the last part confused me and Article 50 can be revoked AFAIK.

More amusingly was that thing pre-Christmas where Britain wanted Ireland to do all their passport checks for them at Irish airports and ferries, so they didn't have to go back to a hard border. If that was me I'd tell them where to go.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Heck, nearly 1 million Andalusians in Catalonia in 1975.
                                              Aye, almost half of Barcelona when I was there (late 90s-early noughties) spoke Spanish as a first language (though just about everyone can understand the not exactly sonorous sounding spoken Catalan). The wilder fringes of Catalanistas would often see them as a Francoist fifth column undermining their linguistic and pure as pure nationalism. Though go back to the turn of the century and the Andalusians were at the vanguard of anti-clerical anarchist syndicalism, and were righteously burning down churches (who as well as being anti-organised Labour, were evil as fuck medieval style feudal landowners all over Spain, and especially the Deep South where most of the peons of BCN industry originated) long before the civil war. The sainted Catalan symbols of nationalism like Gaudi or the monastery lads of Montserrat were pretty much all middle class, (and in the case of the Guell family of Park Guell fame, got rich off the back of slavery in Cuba) and molt molt churchy to the point of insanity.

Its partly why I doubt independence would be a sure a thing there in the event Spain stopped hiding behind their pretty rotten Constitution and allowed the Catalans to exercise their right to self determination. The most exalted circles in Catalan society can be a pretty cold place if you have the wrong surname, have suspiciously Gitano dusky skin, or can't speak or write Catalan to the correct standard.

Comment

@Spoony. Fair points all on the Irish Language. I largely agree: whatever it costs would be a fraction of running a dual carriageway to Derry or similar. DUP hack Nelson Mancausla cites costs at Torfaen District Council in South Wales and projects from there that local government would pay a million a year. Tubby can advise how many locals speak Welsh regularly, I'm guessing not many. Polish might be the second language locally, or Urdu.

I was in the West Belfast Gaeltacht the other week (it's bordered by an arbitrary line and includes the city's largest hospital). So in a way it's like having an all-Ireland sports team. You just declare one and there it is, no real costs. As you say, all the station signs between Paisley and Stranraer are bilingual and harmless. Court interpreters and the like would build in delays but how many would need/ want them? Irish-medium schools might only have a small take-up given the context of rural depopulation and the like, with current plans to withdraw free school bus services.

Your museum piece analogy is telling. Where else would such an issue bring down the government?

Talking of relative trivia, feel yer pain on the Dublin buses. Many's the time I've forgotten how to find the 46A to An Naigin or Baile Go Bochtwards after a few refreshments

@Diable.Sure, there's widespread support, including from me. For encouraging minority language, not allowing SF anywhere near running anything more complex than a bath.

Before Berba's hard-on for his DUP mates gets completely out of hand, relax. If devolution closes, the local Councils etc. can cope. Bus corridor 10 already displays Baile Mhic Aindréis even if there isn't a #4 to Stoirmhonadh.

Comment

What's this got to do with Brexit?

Because they and Scotland voted to stay in?

Comment

It's to do with where a hard border between Ireland and the UK is going to be drawn.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X