No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't a Parliamentary veto exercised by simply voting no?

Comment

I would not be surprised if there is a low key armed conflict between the UK and either Spain or France in the coming years...the way things are going, we might as well go for wild speculations.

Comment

Something like the Cod Wars of the mid-70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
          I would not be surprised if there is a low key armed conflict between the UK and either Spain or France in the coming years...the way things are going, we might as well go for wild speculations.
          As has been suggested already, can Spain tear up the Treaty of Utrecht and invade the Rock in a specific, but limited way?

Comment

https://twitter.com/stevepeers/status/1304137553566629898?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1304131578638012416?s=20

In which the outgoing head of the Government Legal Department (who is working his notice) hangs the new Cabinet Secretary out to dry. Though I winced at the dread words of "raise them in the first instance with your line manager".

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Has this been decided? I've looked at sources in four languages and not seen anything.
                On the table
                For example

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1303968531520905216?s=21

Comment

There is a massive difference there, as I'm sure you appreciate

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                    I think the UK government being what it is, they'd likely declare war on the Faroe Islands or another small nation for a tabloid victory. Maybe they can start a conflict over the Falklands again.

Comment

I realise I am not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to many things, but I thought the framework for the future relationship wasn't legally binding.

Can someone explain what it actually is the government are breaking international law on.

Comment

The Withdrawal Agreement became a binding international treaty when enacted by both the UK and European Parliaments, so even in a no deal scenario, it would take effect on January 1st, unless and until it were to be repealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

...while Theresa May is allowing it to be rumoured that she won't vote for the bill.
                          She'd rather die than vote against the Conservative Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

She'd rather die than vote against the Conservative Party.
                            I worded that carefully - if anything she'll abstain (and even that is an outside bet) but she won't be going through the lobby with the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                              The Withdrawal Agreement became a binding international treaty when enacted by both the UK and European Parliaments, so even in a no deal scenario, it would take effect on January 1st, unless and until it were to be repealed.
                              Right, two different things, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                I cannot for the life of me understand why the EU hasn't just cut their losses and told us to go fuck ourselves by this point. It's as clear as day that the UK Government isn't interested in a deal and is negotiating in bad faith.

I suppose they have to keep up the pretence for political reasons if nothing else.
                                Havent seen this fully addressed at all. Why havent the EU just said fuck it and leave the UK to deal fully with the consequences of a non trade deal with the European bloc.

Comment

Ireland will suffer heavily in a trade war, so the cunts are hoping that they can use us as a bargaining chip.

Comment

Does the Treasury Solicitor really use Comic Sans on his letterhead?

Comment

Definitely not Comic Sans. It's Lindsey Pro I think? Bad font, for sure.

Comment

I mean, it would be fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I worded that carefully - if anything she'll abstain (and even that is an outside bet) but she won't be going through the lobby with the opposition.
                                          I thought about that - I still think she will vote for it. It's not as if she is the kind of person who understands anything other than unswerving loyalty.

Besides, she was the one who signed Article 50.

Comment

UK signs a trade deal with Japan which, er, ultimately replicates the EU-Japan FTA.

Comment

How does it work, this "we're following the Ministerial Code" argument?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                How does it work, this "we're following the Ministerial Code" argument?
                                                David Allen Greens interpretation of it is "The people telling you to do this know that they are breaking the law, so don't worry, the blame won't come to you."

Comment

That makes sense, in terms of Jonathan Jones's memo. But how does the argument of the cabinet secretary go?

Comment

Brexit Twitter twats all going, "Gina Miller haha Karma LOL" like her case has anything to do with this beyond Braverman's gibberish.

Although Braverman's gibberish will hold sway, so actual legal reasoning will be a casualty along with everything else that society expects from its Government.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X