The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    There seems to be very little appetite for that.

Instead I would expect the FTA negotiations to focus on workers' rights, consumer protection and the environment, rather than facilitating the Tories' dismantling of same outside of the Union.
    If Labour won a snap election I would say the negotiations would cover more than just that. A lot of Labour's post-2017 commitments on a customs union and "as close a relationship to the single market as possible"* would be back on the table, as well as membership of agencies like Euroatom and the EMA.

*which if Labour are willing to say "fuck anti-migrant sentiment", could just be single market membership.

Comment

That asterisk strikes me as doing a lot of work in the current climate.

Comment

It would require reversing the tide of "legitimate concerns" racism that the Brexit vote unleashed, even among so-called moderates.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          It would require reversing the tide of "legitimate concerns" racism that the Brexit vote unleashed, even among so-called moderates.
          Check out the Canadian elections thread. Immigration is way down the list of concerns for British people. They may have got it out of their system by voting Brexit.

Comment

That asterisk strikes me as doing a lot of work in the current climate.
            Maybe but if this deal inches over the line by the votes of 20+ Labour rebels, it'll be the European elections all over again for Labour. All those young enthusiastic Corbynistas you saw in 2017 sat at home for that one and nobody wanted to do the door knocking to GOTV. So you need to at least throw them a bone of a not-moronic-Brexit that allows them to dream of days in Neukoelln or whatever.

Comment

The "Spartans" want assurances from the PM that No Deal will be the default if the parties reach the end of the transition period without an agreement (which is a virtual certainty).

Comment

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1185182594566111232?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

If Labour won a snap election I would say the negotiations would cover more than just that. A lot of Labour's post-2017 commitments on a customs union and "as close a relationship to the single market as possible"* would be back on the table, as well as membership of agencies like Euroatom and the EMA.

*which if Labour are willing to say "fuck anti-migrant sentiment", could just be single market membership.
                  The Likes of John Mann have fucked off already. Whilst the rest of the sensibles will either lose their seat, or will have won.

Comment

The "Spartans" want assurances from the PM that No Deal will be the default if the parties reach the end of the transition period without an agreement (which is a virtual certainty).
                    That would also get the DUP vote I would have thought, but it suggests that the EU have fucked this up if the UK can just to run to No Deal 14 months late and all the time spent getting this done goes to waste.

OTOH they can gamble on Johnson not having enough votes in Dec 2020 (or being out of office by then) to do a No Deal at that point (we'd simply rinse and repeat the Benn Act and Supreme Court ruling to stop it in that scenario).
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-10-2019, 15:08.

Comment

The cut-off is July, not December.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Check out the Canadian elections thread. Immigration is way down the list of concerns for British people. They may have got it out of their system by voting Brexit.
                        Same in Switzerland as it happens, healthcare cost and climate change are top two, by a 2/1 margin vs immigration. Polls indicate a Green surge...

Comment

Except perhaps remaining in the EU Alex?

You fuck faced Old Etonian racist twat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50099540

Comment

Letwin amendment throws spanner in Johnson's machinations:

The latest gambit by the alliance of MPs around Sir Oliver Letwin looks like a real problem for the government whips, as they prepare for Saturday's critical vote on the new-look Brexit deal.

The amendment would withhold approval of the deal, until the legislation to enact it was safely passed - a move that would automatically trigger the "Benn Act" and force the prime minister to request a further postponement of Brexit until 31 January.
                            https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics...ments-50098128

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              Letwin amendment throws spanner in Johnson's machinations:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics...ments-50098128
                              Which if passed might cause the ERG to withdraw support, despite rebellions from useful idiots like Melanie Onn.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

Doesn't he need two thirds of MPs agreeing to this though?
                                Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

Anyone know?

Under the terms of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011, he does indeed.

Comment

Fair play. A sensible response.

Comment

If you’ve a wavering Labour MP start phoning/ emailing

[URL]https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185287503240224769?s=21[/URL]

Comment

This is a good move

[URL]https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellmp/status/1185286556724150278?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Is there hope? I've spent the evening wondering what the point in anything is.

Comment

There's always hope. get on the phone.

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1185183874411913216?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              Is there hope? I've spent the evening wondering what the point in anything is.
                                              Credit the Benn Act for making sure we at least didn't get No Deal. If this passes, scrutinize everything the UK does in forthcoming negotiations. Remember the Tories fucked up the 2017 election and could do so again with Johnson's lie machine.

Comment

I am pessimistic about today, however. Baker's already caved and betrayed the DUP, the disloyal cunt:

NEW: Steve Baker says the advice of the ERG is that the group’s MPs should vote for the agreement
                                                We have to see how the Letwin amendment plays out, I guess. Even if Johnson has to extend 3 months, he has his deal and would carry that into the GE, but as I said above, I don't fancy him v Corbyn in a campaign, so we could still get a Hung Parliament.

Comment

Johnson is incapble of meeting people and if he's not filtered through Kuennsberg and Peston he come over as a deeply unlikeable bully who's just winging it. He's marginally better than May but also has the capacity to make even bigger mistakes.

Need to make sure there's an election and this deal fdoesn't go through. Sadly ew're relying on Roth Smeeth, Steven Kinnock and Caroline Flint.

Comment

"Roth Smeeth, Steven Kinnock and Caroline Flint" - aka people who want Corbyn to fail.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X