No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if anyone knows obstructionist and intransigent, it's the DUP.

Comment

President Jean-Claude Juncker spoke to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar this afternoon, where they discussed the UK's latest Brexit proposals.

President Juncker confirmed that while the UK has made some progress, a number of problematic points remain in the proposal, on which further work is needed by the UK.

President Juncker emphasised that the governance of the backstop should be stable and predictable. He reiterated that the Withdrawal Agreement must have a legally operational solution now, and cannot be based on untried arrangements that would be left to negotiation during the transition period. Accepting such a proposal would not meet all the objectives of the backstop: preventing a hard border, preserving North-South cooperation and the all-island economy, and protecting the EU's Single Market and Ireland's place in it. For this reason, further discussions with the United Kingdom's negotiators are needed.

President Juncker reaffirmed his unwavering support for Ireland.

Both the President and the Taoiseach agreed that they would be in favour of the UK publishing the legal text of their proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
        Arlene did not like that. It seems that she is intent on a messy re-unification by 2021 so we can have a centenary civil war.

[URL]https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1179775945311490048[/URL]
        Someone married her...

Poor soul.

Comment

Meanwhile Orbán’s Foreign Minister In town

[URL]https://twitter.com/resisterslondon/status/1179755486050230273?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Arlene's retiring, she'll be long since retired to Bournemouth or somewhere when any shit hits the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
              Arlene did not like that. It seems that she is intent on a messy re-unification by 2021 so we can have a centenary civil war.

[URL]https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1179775945311490048[/URL]
              Dodds is even more personal

[URL]https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1179801928118816768?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Stolen but worth it...

Theresa May’s red white and blue Brexit is being replaced by Boris Johnson’s Black and Tan Brexit.

Comment

Alas, not enough so for the likes of Eoghan Harris and Ruth Dudley Edwards.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/independent/status/1179732832211460096?s=21[/URL]

Comment

UUP the voice of moderate reason.

These are the times we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

I don't know how the Australian points system works, but the Canadian one is based on age, qualifications, and demand for particular skills. I'm guessing Australia's is along the same lines. Skin colour has nothing to do with it, as current immigration statistics show.
                        Yeah, and I've never been able to figure out if I could show up and just say "I already have the job. I'll just do it here." But that's off topic.

Canada's system seems pretty stringent, and yet immigration seems to be booming there so maybe it's not really that hard?

Comment

The DUP's logo is shit.

Comment

Péter Szijjártó is a funny looking fella

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Yeah, and I've never been able to figure out if I could show up and just say "I already have the job. I'll just do it here." But that's off topic.

Canada's system seems pretty stringent, and yet immigration seems to be booming there so maybe it's not really that hard?
                              You could just show up and say you had a Canadian employer, though your employer would have to verify a bunch of stuff and essentially act as your sponsor.

Broadly there are three ways of getting in: Applying directly either from outside the country (the "approved" way, but it can take a long time depending on where you're applying from), or inside; not illegal but you can't say you're intending to stay when you enter Canada. The latter is generally much quicker than the former. Either way you'll be scrutinized under the "points system," as noted above. Big plus if you're under 40, pretty much DOA if over 60, unless you're a Nobel laureate or something.

Secondly family, or employer sponsorship. Pretty much routine unless you're really aged or have a criminal record.

Third: Economic migrant. Bring lots of cash. You're in.

Comment

I was listening to Radio 4 on my walk today, and there was some complete shocker reporting, along the lines of "Johnson's getting more support for his deal than May got for hers, as lots of Tory hardliners are coming on board, and he might get it through parliament which she couldn't" which totally forgot to mention that May's deal was one that was actually acceptable to the EU. Of course Johnson can propose a deal that's acceptable to Tory extremists, you utter morons. That's not the hard part. Why would you even mention this, unless you were madly spinning in favour of the Johnson government?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  I was listening to Radio 4 on my walk today, and there was some complete shocker reporting, along the lines of "Johnson's getting more support for his deal than May got for hers, as lots of Tory hardliners are coming on board, and he might get it through parliament which she couldn't" which totally forgot to mention that May's deal was one that was actually acceptable to the EU. Of course Johnson can propose a deal that's acceptable to Tory extremists, you utter morons. That's not the hard part. Why would you even mention this, unless you were madly spinning in favour of the Johnson government?
                                  because you're madly spinning on behalf of the Johnson government. The Today programme is edited by Sarah Sands who edited the Standard when Johnson was Mayor.

I've just complained to the BBC about their reporting. they talked about "johnson's attempt to break the deadlock, reported criticism from The irish Giovernement and followed it with an interrupted voice piece from Arlene Foster which was offensive about The Irish government managing to imply that the DUP were the voice of the North

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

You could just show up and say you had a Canadian employer, though your employer would have to verify a bunch of stuff and essentially act as your sponsor.

Broadly there are three ways of getting in: Applying directly either from outside the country (the "approved" way, but it can take a long time depending on where you're applying from), or inside; not illegal but you can't say you're intending to stay when you enter Canada. The latter is generally much quicker than the former. Either way you'll be scrutinized under the "points system," as noted above. Big plus if you're under 40, pretty much DOA if over 60, unless you're a Nobel laureate or something.

Secondly family, or employer sponsorship. Pretty much routine unless you're really aged or have a criminal record.

Third: Economic migrant. Bring lots of cash. You're in.
                                    I missed my chance. I used to work for a Canadian company (owned by a US company). My current company is in the UK, among other places.

Comment

North Macedonia and Albania move closer to the entry lounge, though full membership is probably a decade away:

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1179785002034302978

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/peterrneumann/status/1179824942021566468?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                          They've been doing this all day, breathless reporting of "22 switchers" and then it's over to Mark Francois for his opinion, Steve Baker for his, Arlene Foster for hers, and then it seemed to come as a surprise to them when those who mattered starting smelling a rat.

Comment

I've taken the Canadian immigration test.

It didn't go well.

Comment

I wish I'd done those shit boring courses at Uni instead of Arts that would have allowed me to have transferable immigration friendly skills outside the EU. Now I'm old.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

They've been doing this all day, breathless reporting of "22 switchers" and then it's over to Mark Francois for his opinion, Steve Baker for his, Arlene Foster for hers, and then it seemed to come as a surprise to them when those who mattered starting smelling a rat.
                                                There is something really rotten at the BBC these days. I know a few people who work in relevant departments , but they don't talk about the politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                                  I've taken the Canadian immigration test.

It didn't go well.
                                                  This cannot be true.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/fotoole/status/1179860183952101388?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X