No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom of movement from our end of the continent http://www.politico.eu/article/docto...mmission-data/

Comment

hah that's not a new story. I had two grand aunts who worked in the UK health service every working day of their lives, from the 20's into the early 70's. May was a senior ward sister at the foundation of the NHS and became a matron shortly afterwards. the larger european countries have been reliant on getting staff from their smaller neighbours for a very long time. The only real way around this is to fund the training of healthcare professionals on a european basis.

Comment

UK food price changes. Annualized, since 2011. Take that, Project Fear!

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          I can't even drive, so know nothing. But it does strike me that the car industry might not be the easiest for a new entrant.
          The switchover from ICE to electric cars would be the best time for new entrants. The whole thing is being driven by a new entrant Tesla to begin with, and since no-one has any real experience of designing or making electric cars, and since tesla are giving away all of their important patents to increase the number of manufacturers, the only real barriers to entry are the massive amounts of capital needed, and er, the access to the batteries that you need.

There's no shortage of capital in the cayman islands, but the hard bit is the battery. It takes a lot of laptop batteries to drive a car, and to give you an idea of just how many more batteries we're going to need. Tesla have started a massive battery factory/recycling plant in nevada. When it's at full capacity in 2020, it will be producing as many batteries as the whole world in 2015. That will only enable them to produce 1.5 million cars. The US market for cars is currently 17 million a year, so you can see that we're going to need a hell of a lot of batteries.

Comment

So, what you're really saying is that I should invest my fortune in battery manufacturers?

Comment

Depends on an easy supply from Congo, no?

Comment

I think it depends even more on having a fortune to start with... But yes, there are a ton of barriers to mass production of large, high-storage batteries, including access to the raw materials.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. If the raw materials are so important, is there something like Euratom being set up to get them at a decent price?

Comment

I think the key raw material is cobalt (nickel and aluminium are the others, but they're more abundant). What's mostly happening is Chinese investment in DR Congo (which has by far the highest reserves and production) for infrastructure that gets to the mines and to buy influence. It helps that the Chinese really don't give a fuck about welfare of the miners, too. Nobody in Europe or the US can really play that kind of geopolitical game any more...

Comment

I suppose the Chinese might not be universally popular because of the welfare issues with miners. Maybe Europe can leverage that, while keeping the Belgians hidden away.

Comment

The Chinese don't need to be universally popular. They merely need to be popular with the right officials and with the mining companies.

Comment

"Gigafactory 1" is going to be something to see from the air

This is quite good on the raw materials issues.
                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 29-09-2017, 23:17.

Comment

that was very instructive. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a steady supply of cobalt out of the congo. Think of all the military resources that can be freed up by no longer having to worry about the supply of oil.

Comment

Danny Boy has an explanation for Boeing-Bombardier.

Daniel Hannan‏Verified account
                              @DanielJHannan
                              It is happening while we're in the EU, and consequently have no FTA with the United States.
                              Have you spotted the problem here?

Comment

Bernard. That idea of collective European funding for medical training is superb. If only there was the collective will and an institution capable of setting this up... Oh.

Comment

It's amazing how many many things you can think "We could pool that!"

Comment

Matti Maasikas, the deputy prime minister of Estonia, which currently holds the rolling European council presidency, voiced the widely held belief that hopes of gaining the support of leave voters ahead of the scheduled 2022 UK general election were driving those seeking a two-year limit on the transition ending in 2021.

“Am I mistaken,” he asked, “if I say that so far these dates, the possible numbers on the duration, have more to do with British domestic considerations?”
                                    Isn't he and the rest of the region supposed to be pressing the EU to help May out, because NATO?

Comment

Estonia is in nato to keep the Russians out of estonia, but they are in the european union to be so rich that Russians in estonia won't kick off.

Comment

Not up for Gove's new free trade zone with us and Albania then? They're another non-appearing cavalry, like German carmakers.

Johnson apparently can't be sacked, per the evasive non-answering of the Prime Minister this morning.

Eric Pickles has a brilliant idea. Have some people check that manifesto promises have been thought through.

Comment

Stephen Kinnock, son of EU Commissioners, educated at the College of Europe, ex-research assistant at the EU Parliament, director of the World Economic Forum in Geneva, husband of the ex-Danish Prime Minister and an MEP has said that we need to re-think immigration and FoM.

Fuck him.

Comment

I keep hearing about Professor Steve Kean as some kind of economic genius.

He's retweeted something about the EU tolerating oppression of its own people. It wasn't really set up to stop police attacking protestors.

Comment

No but you’d expect EU condemnation. If this was Orban’s mob in Hungary, I think the reaction from the EU and Berlin etc would be a little less supine.

Comment

Rajoy should be a pariah after this. Scum.

Comment

Rajoy and his government have definitely been emboldened by the EU's anti-referendum reaction.

I'm pretty sure that that was what Kean intended to evoke.

Comment

The EU would have been happier with Rajoy ignoring the referendum, I should think.

Keen is retweeting Aaron Bastani, that profound thinker, on democracy now.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X