The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    I must admit, I did chuckle and think of Tubbs and a few others when I read this
    This is no timing for dating. The hand of history is on our shoulders.

Comment

Christ, you'll be saying this is no time for Mudassar Nazar anecdotes next

Comment

My gf has unfollowed me on Twitter due to my Brexit tweeting....(she voted Remain and argued for it with a lot of Leave voting colleagues...)

Comment

Joint statement by CBI and TUC on EU citizen's rights....Yep, you are reading this right, CBI and TUC, together, calling for an end to the "poker game"

Comment

It'll probably be balanced on the news by James Dyson and some Lexit fool from the RMT appearing together.

Comment

Lexiters may be fools but they don't generally get on the news much.

Comment

Christ, you'll be saying this is no time for Mudassar Nazar anecdotes next
                Not even time for Jack Davenport.

Comment

On the subject of Lexit, this is as good an article on it as any, from a left perspective:
                  If the UK left does genuinely believe the EU a nefarious monolith, incapable of reform, then why abandon our European sisters and brothers to as much, rather than using our voting rights, our rotating presidencies, our budgets, to advance the causes we would champion?

Comment

Lexiters may be fools but they don't generally get on the news much.
                    They might be pressed into service if there's balance needed and they keep banging on about immigration.

This bloke, from the FBU, is my personal fave.

https://twitter.com/PaulEmbery

Comment

Hah, .Dyson announced that he was going to be spending a couple of billion building an electric car, that would be designed in the UK, but made in asia. but in great news for Team UK it would be counted as a UK Export. So everyone can join in the celebration of his success.

Dyson has that grinding oblivious smugness so representative of his class. He's basically an older version of Dan fucking snow.

Comment

Hasn't Dyson basically just got hump with the EU over their regulation of his vacuum cleaners?

Theresa May strongly suggests a boycott of Boeing.

"Brave", as Sir Humphrey would say.

Comment

So Dyson's promoting a job-creation scheme that would create no UK manufacturing jobs?

It's almost as if it hasn't occurred to him that the people who make his stuff are actually, you know, humans. Still, the export stats are what matters

Comment

The design work's done in Malmesbury, of all places. That's an export, but how would the cars themselves be?

Comment

The miracles of national accounting!!!

Comment

I'm not buying that. Who is the source, Dyson himself?

Comment

Contract manufacturing. We used to do it on behalf of other countries, and now we have it done for us. Ireland doesn't really export 80% as much as the uk in goods and services, its only 50-60% in reality. Providing your figures aren't also a bit spongey, which they probably are in fairness. The UK is every bit as business friendly in its banking and accounting rules and regulations as we are.
                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 28-09-2017, 14:12.

Comment

The ONS would be in charge of this stuff is accounted for at country level. I'd be surprised if they went along with tricks like this to bump up GDP.

Comment

I don't think it's up to them. You dont think the central statistics office were delighted to be announcing a 26% growth in gdp in 2015. But pfizer became an irish company, and a bunch of other perfectly legal if kind of irrelevant shit happened that year so it was 26% rather than the actual 4-5%

Comment

Let me guess. Mr Dyson will be bringing his EV to market in 2020? Just like the deluge of vapourware EVs promised by all the major manufacturers, especially VAG.

Comment

hmm. volkswagen are already on their second version of the electric golf. They're a long way down the road. If companies aren't getting close to production vehicles by 2020, and if they aren't working on replacing their remaining models soon after that, they are going to be wiped out in a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                            Not even time for Jack Davenport.
                                            I've often thought that the case for Brexit quickly crumbles under your ruthless probing of its weaknesses, Tubby.

We watched the (grating) Kingsman the other week. When JD is vertically bisected early on, it must have been a familiar feeling for him.

Comment

Ha ha.

Hope you had a widescreen, if he was acting like his batting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                hmm. volkswagen are already on their second version of the electric golf. They're a long way down the road. If companies aren't getting close to production vehicles by 2020, and if they aren't working on replacing their remaining models soon after that, they are going to be wiped out in a decade.
                                                I can't even drive, so know nothing. But it does strike me that the car industry might not be the easiest for a new entrant.

Comment

I think he's struggling to find the next big idea. Air blades are great, but those taps with the drier incorporated? You can see the idea but the reality? Useless

Comment

May "unconditionally committed" to European security. I guess that "give us a deal or Estonia gets it from Putin" has been abandoned.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X