No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amor, with regard to rights and freedoms, yes, but it doesn't address all kinds of procedural aspects of government that would be covered in a traditional written constitution.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 12-09-2019, 20:38.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      Those judges seem pretty convinced Johnson was lying like a cheap rug, innit.
      What is striking from a distance is that virtually everyone who expresses a view on this question and is not a member of the Cabinet and/or a Brexit ultra appears to think that there is no question that that is the case.

Comment

Oh gosh yes, absolutely. But judges are different. You expect judges to take the view that a chap's a chap for all that.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Amor, with regard to rights and freedoms, yes, but it doesn't address all kinds of procedural aspects of government that would be covered in a traditional written constitution.
          True, but several Constitution Acts between 1867 and 1982 deal with much of that. Especially when it comes to defining and separating federal and provincial powers.

Comment

Yes, and all of that is covered in the link I posted

Comment

I think it’s Israel personally.

Comment

Would have been my third choice, and I admit to thinking that he was rather more likely to cite Commonwealth countries.

Comment

Con + LD 328

Wouldn't put it past them

whatever I was replying to, i can't find it anymore
                  Last edited by anton pulisov; 12-09-2019, 22:42.

Comment

Bercow has made it clear he won't take any shit from Johnson when the Commons resumes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-09-2019, 00:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                      Plaid Cymru promising a major announcement tomorrow, which suggests either a defection or an electoral pact:

https://twitter.com/Plaid_Cymru/status/1172217956316733443
                      It could be Guto Bebb returning.

Comment

Is that really something to get that excited about?

Comment

Rumours of a Welsh poll with 24% backing independence + more in certain Brexit circumstances.

Comment

That would be astonishing, but frankly given what's happening, perfectly understandable. A similar poll a year ago would have struggled to get more than a single figure percentage.

Comment

Up to 41% in certain circumstances! https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...mpression=true

Comment

Good work Conservative and Unionist Party.

Comment

Shocked that there's been to mention of the Guardian crossword's subtle Brexit message yesterday, or was that some fake news that I've been taken in by?

Comment

Seems legit

[URL="https://twitter.com/kevin_maguire/status/1172090034364829698?s=21"]https://twitter.com/kevin_maguire/status/1172090034364829698[/URL]

On Wales, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Cummings' massive brain is not at all fussed by the breakup of the Union, given that England Alone would be a happier hunting ground for his vile propaganda and evil policies.

Comment

That grid kicks arse

I'm in Casnewydd/ Newport for a Conference soon. May detour past the Passport Office and apply for a new one. Gwilym ap Tomos at yer service

Comment

John Bercow has announced that he's stepping down as an MP as well, on 4 November. It gets him out of the decision whether to re-take the Tory whip - which of course he wouldn't, and would then have been vilified for not doing so. It would ordinarily mean that the Tories would re-take their safe seat in the ensuing by-election but firstly would they be guaranteed of doing so at present (given if it went ahead it may be in the wake of another Brexit delay, opening the door for Farage to scoop up the Leave vote), and secondly it will probably get swallowed up in the coming general election.

Comment

Well, I see that the drug I take to help prevent me having seizures is on the Yellowhammer risk list.

Fuck No Deal Brexit and the fucking cunts who support it.

Fuck Brexit in general.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            Oh, and thanks for doing to legwork on showing that the hedgie-article is, basically, bollocks.
                                            but they are certainly capable of shenanigans

[URL]https://twitter.com/nickshaxson/status/1172486569149849602?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/jenwilliamsmen/status/1172484336177819648?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Which makes it all the more important that one actually have the receipts when accusing them of having done so again.

Comment

Not directly about Brexit, but highly relevant to it, particularly the Remain and Reform agenda:

Since the Brexit referendum, the EU, especially among liberals, has often been held up as the antidote to nationalism. Yet for all its laudable aims – and its successes in reducing conflict between states – it plays host to its own, pernicious kind of civilisational chauvinism, one that draws a rigid line between “Europe” and neighbouring regions to the south and the east …
                                                  It is understandable that people in Britain might feel there are more pressing issues than appointments in Brussels. But the rightwards drift of the commission has an important connection to our own arguments about Brexit. The question of the UK’s future relationship with the EU has to be more than a choice between fighting to remain within an unchanged Fortress Europe, or leaving to create our own Fortress Britain instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                    I feel like this goes a long way to explaining why British polls fuck up so consistently nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X